itchy and sore anus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 4 year old has been complaining of an itchy and sore anus. He'll be playing and all of the sudden starts crying because he says his bum hurts. He also complains of an itchy (sometimes calls it tickly) bum. He's off dairy for the most part, but he has been getting some dairy and seems to tolerate it ok (used to get SUPER constipated from any dairy). He asks DH to put cream on his bum when it gets itchy so we've been putting proctosone on it.

Any ideas?
#2 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 AM

My first thought pin worms The main symptom of those is a itchy anus.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 AM

I was also going to say pin worms. I got those a few times as a kid b/c I was a finger sucker and I guess I would play outside and then sick my finger before washing it (according to my mom).

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#4 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 AM

Yep, first thought is pin worms. I think you can do a "tape test" to try to see them.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...omach/139.html

Quote:
How are pinworms detected?
Because pinworms usually crawl out of the anus while a child sleeps, the tape test is an easy way to find pinworms. It's best to do this right when your child wakes up and before he or she uses the bathroom or bathes. To do the tape test, pat a piece of clear tape on the skin around the anus. You can then take the tape to your doctor, who can use a microscope to check for pinworms or eggs. It is also possible for you to see the adult worms around the anus during the tape test.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#5 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM

My first thought was that maybe he's not tolerating the dairy so well. My second thought was pinworms.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Some options here:
http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/anal_itching.htm

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I was actually reading about pinworms last night and got too queezy that I had to stop. Just the thought of worms crawling out of my childs butt makes me want to puke.

DS has always been a dirt eater. He eats the dirt out of the sandbox if DH or I aren't watching him. He doesn't know why he eats it, but he'll throw a handful in the mouth and chomp away. And yes, his iron levels were checked and he's back in the "normal" range. I wonder if he got pinworms from the sand.
#8 of 8 Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
yup, allergies or worms.

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page