Vitamin C dosage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 1 year old, a 3.5 year old and a 4.5 year old, how much vitamin C can I give them to boost immunity? We have had consecutive colds for almost 2 months and its getting old... I have 500mg chew tablets that I have been breaking in half and giving them half each for the bigger kids, but nothing for little man so far. How much is safe to give to the bigger ones? and how much is safe for the little one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM

I give as much as my kids can handle without getting diarrea. The kids emergen -C packets come in 500mg per serving. At times I have given my 8 yr old 2 of those a day, and my 23 month old a pack throughout the day in portions.
#3 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so 500 is ok for a 4yo and up, and 250 for the 3yo, anyone who has given more than that? and what about the 1yo?
#4 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 AM

I give my kids more than that, I use sodium ascorbate crystals mixed with juice though. The chewables are very hard on teeth. I give my 2yo 250-500 twice a day.
#5 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would give my kids more than that, but we use natural forms of vit C like camu camu, and rose hips.

And I second not giving the chewable. Not so good on the teeth and not all healthy ingredients.
#6 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Just looked up camu camu. Sounds interesting. Do you give this to your kids daily? How much? Can I stir it into juice or food?
#7 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Yup, I give it to my 2 yr old daily. It is suppose to be good for so many things, and it is full of vit C with nothihng processed and all the bioflavaniods. She gets 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp a day. You can put it in juice, smoothies, yogurt, etc. It is kind of sweet and a easy one to get into kids. I just encapsulate the powder for myself and take a bunch of those everyday.
#8 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Yup, I give it to my 2 yr old daily. It is suppose to be good for so many things, and it is full of vit C with nothihng processed and all the bioflavaniods. She gets 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp a day. You can put it in juice, smoothies, yogurt, etc. It is kind of sweet and a easy one to get into kids. I just encapsulate the powder for myself and take a bunch of those everyday.
Where do you buy the camu camu powder? I would like to make sure I get a pure source for it. Thanks!

Jamie

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#9 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Guidelines I've read are 50mg/kg body weight (divided into 3-4 doses, not all at once) when healthy and 250mg/kg body weight when sick (ditto on dividing it up). The 250mg/kg is equal to about 1100mg per 10 lbs body weight, and 50mg/kg is about 220 mg per 10 lbs body weight.

That said, my kids needed a whole lot more to reach bowel tolerance, so I'd start at those dosages and consider whether you may need more.

FWIW, vitC hasn't prevented colds for us. Definitely minimizes symptoms, colds are quicker and milder and I think we get fewer complications (bacterial infections setting in afterward), but I think we've had to do other stuff to actually reduce the number of colds. Hard to tell what's involved, we've been working on a lot of things, I'd consider vitamin D and zinc. The vitamin D council discusses dosing for that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page