Is This For Real--Oil Pulling?? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Is This For Real--Oil Pulling??
beckybird's Avatar beckybird 11:40 PM 10-18-2009
Ok, I just stumbled across this tonight, and I have to know if you've heard of this--Oil Pulling?? Where you swish sunflower or sesame oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes, then spit it out? And the oil is supposed to draw out toxins from your mouth & body? Here is the site....

http://www.oilpulling.com/
Just wondering if anybody has tried this, or even heard of this? And, I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed....I have been stuck in the pregnancy forum section for way too long lol!!

Mrshawwk's Avatar Mrshawwk 03:54 AM 10-19-2009
I love oil pulling! I use coconut oil for 10-15 minutes. It makes my mouth feel so clean, and my teeth definitely whiter. I can't really say I've noticed any other benefits though, but I haven't done it long enough to know if there are any improvements in my teeth cavity-wise.

Do a search in the dental forum, it's been discussed there a few times.
allnaturalmom's Avatar allnaturalmom 11:05 AM 10-19-2009

I've been interested in this, too. I was following Mrshawwk's thread over in dental. You can also see info on it over at www.earthclinic.com.

hth

ETA: I haven't tried it yet... want to wait until we're done nursing.
SandyMom's Avatar SandyMom 12:46 PM 10-19-2009
Does anyone know can you do this if you have metal amalgams?
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 01:04 PM 10-19-2009
Been doing it for years and I have 4 amalgams.

Love it!
beckybird's Avatar beckybird 11:47 PM 10-19-2009
Thanks everybody! Yet another good use for my coconut oil--I love the stuff
SuburbanHippie's Avatar SuburbanHippie 12:46 AM 10-20-2009
I thought you had to use sunflower oil? I tried it once. I only got 7 minutes into it before I started gagging and it was all over at that point. LOL. It gave me the absolute worst headache I've ever had too. I assume that meant it was pulling toxins out. I've been afraid to try it again. I don't want another headache like that (I couldn't even get out of bed).
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 11:24 AM 10-20-2009
traditionally it's sesame oil.

I use coconut sometimes too and find that it's great for whitening teeth.
SandyMom's Avatar SandyMom 12:29 PM 10-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Been doing it for years and I have 4 amalgams.

Love it!
Thanks Panserbjorne.
Do you by chance have any experience with using clay?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1150081
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 12:34 PM 10-20-2009
probably more than any one person should. You know how windex was a big thing in that movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Yeah. Clay is my windex.

I'll check out your link in a few.
HappilyEvrAfter's Avatar HappilyEvrAfter 12:41 PM 10-20-2009
I occasionally oil pull...with cold pressed sunflower.

Haven't really noticed about the toxin cleansing, but the dentist made a comment on how clean my teeth were...and I'm really terrible about flossing.
It seems to be awesome for getting between your teeth.

It took some getting used to, but after a while (and with whichever oil you can stomach) it gets easier.
I do it while in the shower. And I have amalgams.

It's also said to help curb your appetite if you use a certain kind of oil.
Bestbirths's Avatar Bestbirths 12:46 PM 10-20-2009
yup, it's for real, I do it!
FireWithin's Avatar FireWithin 01:01 PM 10-20-2009
When I started, it took about 4 session to heal a pocket in my gums. That pocket had been there for many, many years. amazing.
New_Natural_Mom's Avatar New_Natural_Mom 02:12 PM 10-20-2009
I have very sensitive teeth & receeding gums. I notice the symptoms less after oil pulling. Much less sensitivity! I use sesame (though I did try sunflower.)

I'll let you know what my dentist says.
SandyMom's Avatar SandyMom 02:27 PM 10-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
probably more than any one person should. You know how windex was a big thing in that movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Yeah. Clay is my windex.

I'll check out your link in a few.

Thanks!

I just have coconut oil and toasted sesame - I'm assuming you don't want to use toasted, eh?

I think I'll try the coconut.
Koalamom's Avatar Koalamom 08:25 PM 10-20-2009
Can you do oil pulling while pregnant or breastfeeding?

And how would you get a 2 yr old to do it?
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 09:30 PM 10-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

And how would you get a 2 yr old to do it?
You wouldn't. That's not a concept they are going to grasp.

I did it while breastfeeding, though I layed low during pregnancy. I did it, just not regularly. I don't know that I would encourage anyone else to though.
eireann's Avatar eireann 10:18 PM 10-20-2009
i thought doing it w amalgams was a no no...?
VeezieTG's Avatar VeezieTG 11:05 PM 10-20-2009
we do oil-pulling. with sesame oil. its part of a whole holistic dental routine we do tho. the oil-pulling is only for me, my bf, and my oldest (3.5) and he only does it for a few minutes, but me n bf have noticed such great benefits that we decided to at least get him into the habit.

the rest of our dental regimen includes using tooth oil instead of tooth paste, swishing with salt water, drinking apple cider vinegar and water mixture every day, throwing toothbrushes out once a week, and flossing every brush...

i am pregnant, and in this pregnancy have experienced a ridiculous amount of tooth decay, sudden and rapid. i allowed 2 xrays for the problems i'm having. after the 2nd one they decided to do a tooth scraping to get all the plaque deposits out of my gums and i was scheduled an appt 2 wks after. i had started this tooth regimen that week before the xray appt. when i came back the 2 wks later the dentist asked me if i had had anything done to my teeth, like a scraping, in the interim (since he only had the xrays to go on, i had seen a diff dentist before) and i said no, and he said "well, it just seems like there's so much less in here than what it shows on the xray." thats when i told him about the regimen, to which he thought i should add the rinsing with salt water to help my gums heal better. (i have severe gum disease.)

all in all, body wise, i don't notice a whole lot of difference with the oilpulling, but my bf says he does. he says he feels ALOT better since doing it. just healthy. and it does make your mouth feel totally amazingly clean.

i would also suggest starting with 2 10min sessions a day instead of 1 2o min one, and work your way up. and only take about a teaspoonful or less cos your mouth fills up fast with all the saliva and whatever else in there after so long.
Cascadian's Avatar Cascadian 02:55 PM 10-21-2009
I'm totally intrigued by this thread...I did a little reading and I'm going to try and see how it helps with fatigue, as well as general mouth hygeine. Thanks!!!
WaturMama's Avatar WaturMama 07:01 PM 10-21-2009

Up