4 yo son writhing crying anal itching - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 yo DS has been scratching his butt all day and in last hour started crying and writhing on the floor. His anus is red and he says it itches, says it doesn't hurt. I put comfrey, St John's work, plantain oil on which didn't help at all and had him sit on an ice pack which seems like it worked for a while, but know he's crying again and doesn't want to sit on the ice any more.

He's had pinworm twice before, so I know this could be again, althoug in the past we've always seen the worms well before any sign of itching and he never itched like this. He may not have wiped well. At school, they won't help him wipe even though he's not so good at doing it himself. I don't think he goes at school though.

He's had some wheat/dairy/sugar recently which we usually do in moderation and could be related.

I think the severity of what's going on know is probably because he scratched himself and know it feels a lot worse - or the intensity of the itching is just really strong. I thought of witch hazel, but the only one I have is in alcohol which will sting.

Anyone know of a homeopathic that could help? My first goal is to help him get comfort and then try to figure out cause.
#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 PM

According to my book Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, homeopathic Cina is effective for pinworms. Its says to use 12x or 6c, 3 times a day for 4 days.

They recommend probiotics as well. The foods you mentioned above that he eats in moderation are the foods they say pinworms love, especially sugar.

Veda 9/06
#3 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 AM

Poor guy! I don't have any experience, but if it were my child, I would most likely try a Vitamin C flush.
#4 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 AM

It really sounds like pinworms, especially if he's had them before. My son had them and gave them to me (ick!) and I never saw any worms on him until after we medicated and they came out dead in the toilet (and there were tons!). He was itching, but we couldn't see any. Anyhow, if you have petroleum jelly or something similar around, that can help with pin worm itch.
#5 of 7 Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 AM

Yikes!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#6 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas,

He got some comfort after cool water epsom salt sitz bath and sitting on ice pack. His anus was very red w/ rash last night and now is milder red w/o rash. I checked for pinworms 3x last night and didn't find any. Since he's had them twice before, I feel very good at checking. Will check again tonight, but since symptoms are improved, I'm thinking it was allergic this time.

Would still love other ideas for comfort in case it happens again.

I do know about and have used homeopathic cina for pinworms in past - it didn't work. I'm thinking more of a homeopathic (or other) remedy for the intense itch itself.
#7 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 AM

It could also be strep. Yes, it does appear there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page