Treatment for dry skin around nose/chapped lips - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter gets really dry flaky skin around her nose when she gets a cold b/c she has it for weeks and has to blow her nose so much. Once it gets that way, it's hard to blow her nose. She's 4.5 yrs old. She also gets chapped lips.

Last winter we started using vaseline for both nose and lips and I just found out that is really gasoline -- yuck! But, it worked. So, now I'm looking for an alternative -- either a make it yourself or off the shelf cream of some kind. Suggestions?

Thanks.!

--Susan
#2 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Alaffia shea butter, the pure one with nothing else added works the best for me on my dry damaged skin on my face (damaged from years of acne products that dried out my skin there). I've used coconut oil and jojoba oil too, but I still like shea butter the best. I like shea butter on my lips too.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#3 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM

I always use lanolin (got some from a lactation consultation but never needed it).
#4 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use coconut oil for dry skin. I buy Nutiva brand from frontier coops. I'm sure they sell it at most HFS too. I use unrefined virgin coconut oil.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM

we use burts beeswax (I usually just use the chap stick and rub it on his nose/mouth area) I found that applying right out of the shower while the skin is still moist has definately helped. I also occassionally rub in a little EVOO during the day. This has definately helped DS who suffers from flaky/severe dry skin on his nose/mouth area during winter
#6 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Here's where I admit to using a non-natural product. The tissues with lotion in them helps a lot to prevent a sore nose.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 10 Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM

We deal with this with every cold. My son's nose usually bleeds from wiping it so much. Last time his cheek was bleeding because how he was wiping. ugh. When I can, I use straight vitamin E. Coconut oil is great for everything, except lips. It comes off or absorbs really fast, and seems to speed peeling, in my experience anyway.

My kids use prefold diapers for wiping/blowing, and if they are kept moist, it really cuts down on the chafing.
#8 of 10 Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

straight Vitamin E? Do you mean oil? If not, how does it come "straight"?

--Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshawwk View Post
We deal with this with every cold. My son's nose usually bleeds from wiping it so much. Last time his cheek was bleeding because how he was wiping. ugh. When I can, I use straight vitamin E. Coconut oil is great for everything, except lips. It comes off or absorbs really fast, and seems to speed peeling, in my experience anyway.

My kids use prefold diapers for wiping/blowing, and if they are kept moist, it really cuts down on the chafing.
#9 of 10 Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 PM

oh sorry, yes I mean oil. I either break open a capsule or get a bottle of the oil.
#10 of 10 Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yeah, I forgot about vitamin E! You can find it in chapstick form in the vitamins and supplements aisle.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page