DH has plaque in his coronary arteries - now what? UPDATE #26 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would be most concerned about the HDL being low and the ratio of HDL and LDL.
230 is too high also but if you incorporate changes to increase HDL then you will naturally lower the LDL

From what I've read, statins can actually lower your HDL.

I don't agree with the saturated fat or red meat being good, but increasing what is popularly called "good fats" has worked for me, specifically olive oil, nuts and avocado, along with cutting out trans fat and refined foods.

Exercise is very, very important and it doesn't have to be overly strenuous but aerobic is best several times a week.

Taking fish oil (I take flax seed oil because I'm vegetarian), drinking OJ and cranberry juice, using curcumin to spice your food and drinking red wine are all good too.

If he smokes, stop. HDL will go right up.

I agree with you on the fasting glucose, it's high.

Good luck,

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#32 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Metasequoia... slightly OT - what about the popular dieting advice to eat 6 small meals a day or whatever? And people on MDC (and some pediatricians/child experts) say you should let kids graze all day - that they eat healthier this way, self-regulate better, etc. Really - the old 3 squares a day advice is best?
Eating 6 "meals" or snacks throughout the day won't give his body a break from insulin production. His body will constantly be pumping insulin to try to deal with the blood sugar effect from food.

There's another book you need to read - it's called Primal Body, Primal Mind - the author talks about ALL of this - very interesting. She calls the USDA food pyramid the "Feedlot Pyramid." I'm ordering it today.

I've been thinking a lot about how the kids should eat. I know I am doing better eating just 3 meals a day, no snacking, VERY low carb. I can already feel that my hypoglycemia is diminishing. I can go many hours w/o food, w/o feeling shaky, irritable, lightheaded, etc. The kids seem to need a little more carb with meals, but they're okay with not snacking. As long as they get enough animal fat & protein with each meal (& some carb), they're okay until the next meal. I have been carrying around just in case snacks for them - kippered herring & crispy pecans & butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
230 is too high also but if you incorporate changes to increase HDL then you will naturally lower the LDL
Some of the longest-living & healthiest people have very "high" cholesterol. I agree his ratio is awful, but the overall number isn't what's alarming.

Quote:
Exercise is very, very important and it doesn't have to be overly strenuous but aerobic is best several times a week.
Actually, for insulin resistance, anaerobic exercise is preferable. Cardio exercise isn't all its cracked up to be. Building muscle by either weight lifting or resistance training increases insulin sensitivity.

Quote:
Taking fish oil (I take flax seed oil because I'm vegetarian), drinking OJ and cranberry juice, using curcumin to spice your food and drinking red wine are all good too.
Drinking OJ (or any juice) is one of the worst things a borderline diabetic (or anyone, really) can do. It's pure glucose once it hits our mouths - no different than eating spoonfuls of white sugar. Even red wine is carby & sugary & should be avoided. BUT, if he's out celebrating or something & wants to have *a* drink, it's one of the better choices - much better than beer.
When children drink juice, it increases their risk of developing diabetes substantially - even the mainstream media (news channels) have been talking about this for years now.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#33 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM

referring to the aerobic exercise, red wine and OJ, those are recommended for increasing HDL.
Also, you can eat the oranges and use unsweetened cranberry juice.
His low HDL seems more important than the borderline fasting glucose. Maybe it isn't.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#34 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Eating 6 "meals" or snacks throughout the day won't give his body a break from insulin production. His body will constantly be pumping insulin to try to deal with the blood sugar effect from food.
The body is constantly kicking out insulin (usually in intervals) to reach homeostasis. This is why Lantus is so popular right now, people need a basal rate not just a prandial dose.
#35 of 52 Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
referring to the aerobic exercise, red wine and OJ, those are recommended for increasing HDL.
Also, you can eat the oranges and use unsweetened cranberry juice.
His low HDL seems more important than the borderline fasting glucose. Maybe it isn't.
Well, the ultimate concern here is his heart. Fruit is just glucose to his body, it'll spike his blood sugar - then comes all of the insulin & lots of it because there's probably a good deal of insulin resistance going on here. It's insulin resistance that lead to heart failure, not high cholesterol. I agree that his ratio stinks but I think fixing the blood sugar problem is crucial & fruit should be avoided. Once the glucose/insulin is under control, his cholesterol should improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
The body is constantly kicking out insulin (usually in intervals) to reach homeostasis. This is why Lantus is so popular right now, people need a basal rate not just a prandial dose.
And the healthy body can moderate insulin at a healthy level, but someone whose body has become insulin resistant due to chronic high blood glucose can't regulate that anymore. The only way to fix it is to allow his body to heal by keeping blood glucose levels as even as possible within a healthy range. This ideal blood glucose level can be different for everyone. But by constantly eating, there's no break.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#36 of 52 Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Just found this awesome blog thanks to someone in the TF forum! Here's a great post on carbs & insulin:

The Definitive Guide to Insulin, Blood Sugar & Type 2 Diabetes (and you’ll understand it) BITE ME, ADA

Your DH might like this blog - it's written by a (very fit) guy who has a GREAT sense of humor, very witty & super information. (The one thing wrong with this one post was where he said something about type 2 turning into type 1, but he later acknowledged his slip-up.)

#37 of 52 Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Cholesterol in a nutshell. I like this guy too.

#38 of 52 Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM

I can't access any of WuWei's links.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#39 of 52 Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Any updates?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#40 of 52 Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM

I was wondering about an update too. I know this thread is a million years old, but I was in the same DDC with Periwinkle many years ago and I found myself wondering what ended up happening. Want to come back and let us know?
#41 of 52 Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM

I've got to be completely honest, his labwork isn't all that bad. I know this is from last year, but I wanted to respond. I'm a phlebotomist/medical assistant and I've seen WAY worse. I know that's not a consolation when it's your own loved one we're talking about. His numbers are easy enough to change, without medications. Diet, exercise, increase whole grains, take supplements, basically everything already mentioned above. This should be a wake-up call for him, though.

Hope all is well!
#42 of 52 Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Anytime he is consuming vege oils, he is adding to the plaque as well.
A good way to relate that, follows.
Go to any restaurant or home that uses vege oils for cooking. What will you see?
Vents and stove tops that are covered in a VERY hard to remove layer of grease.
Its doing the same thing inside the body
Eeek, that's a good point! So, what do you think about olive oil? Light olive oil is the only I have found to make mayo with. Is there a better choice? I tried it with coconut oil, and it turned hard in the fridge! Didn't taste very good either, TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Actually, for insulin resistance, anaerobic exercise is preferable. Cardio exercise isn't all its cracked up to be. Building muscle by either weight lifting or resistance training increases insulin sensitivity.

So what are some examples of anaerobic exercise? I was trying to read about it, and the definition I read said anaerobic builds muscle too.

My FIL recently started two medications, one to lower blood pressure and one for cholesterol, and a few weeks ago, he had some tingling and numbness on the left side of his body. All the tests came back normal, and no signs of anything, so maybe he just had a mini-stroke. I am thinking, what if those meds caused it? They are not very open to alternative stuff, they are pretty mainstream, they eat sugar and donuts but think he should just eat less beef and fat and more chicken and fish instead. I would like to give them some information, just not sure where to direct them. If I could buy one book, which would you buy for them?
#43 of 52 Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back here....I know how some people feel about Mercola, but here is a link to articles on his site about aspirin therapy being bad. http://search.mercola.com/Results.as...irin%20therapy

A tiny snippet of one article:

Quote:
#

The series of meta-analyses on the antiplatelet activity of aspirin overvalues aspirin's effectiveness and safety
#

All the large long term trials of aspirin after myocardial infarction show no effect on mortality
#

Aspirin may change the way vascular events present rather than prevent them
#

This may lead to a "cosmetic" reduction in non-fatal events and an increase in sudden death
#

Data on the safety and cost-benefit of aspirin are inadequate
#

Advocating the use of aspirin for preventing atherosclerotic events diverts attention from other, more effective, drugs
From all my research, not nearly as well organized or structured as Wu Wei's, we have decided not to use statins or aspirin for my DH. And you know what, we are controlling his cholesterol just through diet! We eat real meat, real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, organic whole grains, veggies, etc. We cut out artificial or processed foods as much as possible.

Hopefully if you can get your DH to really stick to a healthy eating plan you will see results. TBH, I changed my diet and started sharing with my DH why I was making the choices I was making, sharing links, literature, etc. He came around on his own and now (incredibly) makes mostly good choices even when I am not looking over his shoulder (now if we could address portion control we would be set!)

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#44 of 52 Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I tried it with coconut oil, and it turned hard in the fridge! Didn't taste very good either, TBH.
You don't store coconut oil in the fridge. It will also turn hard on the countertop (unless you live without air conditioning in Arizona, maybe - I think it liquifies around 80 or 90 F) but I would imagine putting it in the fridge would have hardened it to the point it was hard to work with. And maybe changed the flavor, I don't know.

About the taste, that's subjective. You might have tried some highly refined stuff and maybe it doesn't taste good. Or maybe you just don't like coconut oil. There's also some extremely UNrefined stuff you can buy, and I hear it has a strong taste. The stuff I have is unrefined (but not to an extreme) and the taste is very mild and pleasant imho.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#45 of 52 Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
You don't store coconut oil in the fridge. It will also turn hard on the countertop (unless you live without air conditioning in Arizona, maybe - I think it liquifies around 80 or 90 F) but I would imagine putting it in the fridge would have hardened it to the point it was hard to work with. And maybe changed the flavor, I don't know.

About the taste, that's subjective. You might have tried some highly refined stuff and maybe it doesn't taste good. Or maybe you just don't like coconut oil. There's also some extremely UNrefined stuff you can buy, and I hear it has a strong taste. The stuff I have is unrefined (but not to an extreme) and the taste is very mild and pleasant imho.
Yes, that's why it turned hard, because I had to put it in the fridge. I was talking about making mayo with it, which has raw egg, so it needed to be refrigerated, and I wasn't thinking about how it would turn hard in the fridge, but it wasn't usable.

I do use coconut oil a lot, and I buy both types, the kind that has the coconut taste and the kind that doesn't.

I was just asking about making mayo specifically, because olive oil is the only thing I can come up with for making that.
#46 of 52 Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Yes, that's why it turned hard, because I had to put it in the fridge. I was talking about making mayo with it, which has raw egg, so it needed to be refrigerated, and I wasn't thinking about how it would turn hard in the fridge, but it wasn't usable.

I do use coconut oil a lot, and I buy both types, the kind that has the coconut taste and the kind that doesn't.

I was just asking about making mayo specifically, because olive oil is the only thing I can come up with for making that.
Oh, I see, I didn't get that. I've not made mayo before but definitely CO couldn't be used for that. Heck, even olive oil solidifies somewhat in the fridge. And butter too. But maybe the small amount of solidification is preferred for mayo? Dunno. I use olive oil for some things, just not for as many things as I used to. Salad dressing, for instance, is olive oil and vinegar for me

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#47 of 52 Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Yeah, the olive oil, I guess it just doesn't solidify as much as the CO does, but it does really well in the mayo, and the light olive oil has a mild taste. But, I was just wondering if there was a better alternative. We don't eat a tone of it, but homemade mayo delish!
#48 of 52 Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Update!

Sorry it's been so long - I'm almost never on MDC anymore. Can you tell my youngest is 5 now?! lol (p.s. hi Lesley! )

DH decided to go on the statin - lowest possible dose and his doctor redid his bloodwork in Feb., which was about 3 months later. His total cholesterol is now 152, and HDL is up to 84. (Some statins actually do RAISE hdl apparently, which is part of why his doctor wanted him to go on it.) He has made some changes in his diet, following what I like to call "TF lite" - switched to Ezekial bread products and a big bowl of soaked/steel cut oatmeal in the morning. He eats fish all the time now. He also takes fish oil, Vitamin C, B complex daily. (I am SO not a supplement person for various reasons but his doc wanted him on these - the fish oil has been shown to help scrub the plaque and raise HDL and the B vitamins do likewise. And since he cut out his daily O.J. and doesn't eat much fruit anymore, he added the C as a just-in-case measure). Oh and his fasting blood sugar was 94. Better.

His sugar consumption is WAY down, but he likes a bowl of ice cream every now and again (ok, weekly) and he still goes occasionally for his comfort foods such as Amy's frozen pizzas and tortilla chips/salsa. My mantra with him has been similar to my own mantra for health and weight maintenance, namely, it's not the one meal or dessert you eat once in a while that's bad for you, it's how you eat every single day. No one gets sick (or overfat) from the 15 days a year they're on vacation or whatever and eat poorly, it's how you're eating the other 350 days a year that really matters.

Metasequoia I showed him your links and he got 4 major things out of them: 1.) he doesn't drink juice anymore, 2.) he doesn't drink beer anymore, 3.) he joined a gym and now lifts weights regularly, and 4.) he eats only 3 meals a day now. Thank you thank you thank you.

He's lost a bit of weight though he wasn't particularly overweight to begin with (he's 5'10", medium frame, and went from 170 to 160). I look at his diet and think, man, we could make it better, but he's also so averse to - as he delicately puts it - "eating cardboard for the rest of my life" that I don't really want to force changes down his throat when he'll just get sick of eating like that and go back to his old dietary habits.

Basically it's as good as it could get and now the sticky wicket is going to be making these changes permanent. As someone who has not eaten sugar, tropical fruits, or refined/non-TF carbs (except when I'm a guest in someone's house or at a wedding or something!) in 3.5 years, I know a little about this. It's TOUGH.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It's been really helpful. I wish I could be posting that dh didn't have to take the statin and we still got all these great results, but for now at least I think he's going to stay on it.

One quick question - how low is TOO low (re: total cholesterol)? I know something like 120 would be disasterous health-wise, but I'm interested in knowing at what point we should be looking to taper back on the statin. His doc of course wants him basically on it for life, but since dh is only 40, I'm not too keen on that, nor his he. And if the total choelsterol drops too low, it might be the impetus to go back to a 1/2 dose or something or taper off altogether (provided the #s stay good).
#49 of 52 Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
His doc of course wants him basically on it for life, but since dh is only 40,
I would demand blood work every six months to check on his liver- don't let the Dr. blow this off-these drugs work on other organs as well-check!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#50 of 52 Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm pm'ing you, Peri.
#51 of 52 Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
I would demand blood work every six months to check on his liver- don't let the Dr. blow this off-these drugs work on other organs as well-check!
will do. thanks!
#52 of 52 Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I'm pm'ing you, Peri.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page