THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 261 Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Junegoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Junegoddess, would someone be willing to test your B12? Wondering if that could be low and causing those odd symptoms. And I assume your vitD is good? It can do odd things too. Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way.
I'll check out some adrenal supplements. The dessicated adrenal from Dr. Ron's was really helpful, but also really expensive. I've spent SO much money on supplements... really good ones, and I believe they are worth it... but also spend so much money on food.

I have hemmed and hawed over testing of various kinds for so long. I always seem to get roadblocked by something. I had hair analysis done a year and a half ago, but apparently picked the wrong lab and the results can't be interpreted right and the chiropractor I went through decided that I'm secretly high in copper, but her reasoning made no sense to me... basically she decided I had to be high in copper because I had a copper IUD at the time, despite my symptoms not matching. UGH. It was discouraging. So... I've been timid to jump in and spend a whole lot more money on the really expensive stuff. I'd LOVE to... if I could feel like I wasn't wasting money. I'm overly fascinated with my own chemistry... LOL... so knowing exactly what amino acids I need and my B vitamin levels and whether or not I'm absorbing the zinc I take in... I'd love it.

So many tests seem so important, it feels impossible to decide which ones are most important.

Anyway, my vitamin D is good. 59 last time it was measured, about 3 months ago. I want it higher... 70 would make me happy.

I recently had my first non-stress test, and during the test I got a "wave" of the exhausted, tingly weirdness. And watched my son's heart rate drop 20 points the whole time. As soon as I felt better, his heart rate came back up. Definitely time to mention it to my docs... I just feel ridiculous describing anything as "tingly weirdness" and hoping for an answer. Seems way too vague for medicos.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Junegoddess is offline  
#62 of 261 Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
Wow. I had no idea. I was only blood tested. I will read the article and see if I can get more testing. The amount of mercury exposure I had was tremendous.
The part on testing is a bit buried, the 2nd post on this page explains how to order a hair test and then the interpretation is the same as my first link (also discussed below the info on testing).
tanyalynn is offline  
#63 of 261 Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvygrrl View Post
I've read through some of the posts on the forum and wondered if there was any update on people's experience getting rid of tinnitus and floaters in the eye? I'd love to hear some stories of success! Anything to hold out hope that it will all go away.

Also, has anyone tried Licorice to help the adrenals? If so, would love to hear that experience.

Thanks.
I never had tinnitus, but definitely floaters. I haven't been able to get rid of them, but I do think they're worse when I'm feeling worse - does that make sense?

I've used licorice. It's hard to say what helped me heal to the extent that I did so far. I like the licorice drink in Baschetti's directions (with raw milk.)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#64 of 261 Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
 
ipodlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies -

So glad you started this thread. Thanks so much. It's very helpful to read other's experiences.

I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue back in September, though I suspect it started much earlier than that. It all started with a lot of anxiety over my first business, and some situations that arose from that.

Anyway, this last 12 months have been quite something. First started with sciatica and inflammation for 8 months, that I suspect completely depleted my adrenal following business related stress. After that, I came down with pretty bad flu and various other unusual (for me) illnesses. Eventually, I had a rather severe anxiety attack, and my diet was all over the place. I then got plunged into a deep depression for 3 months. I've never experienced depression before in my life, and that alone was a shocking. I've always been a fighter...and never gave up. But, I guess life just got the best of me at this point (I'm 38). Fortunately, I had a very loving family around me and I spent time recouping on the beach.

I've been trying to get pregnant for a couple of years, but now with all this going on I wonder if that is such a good idea!

So, come September, as soon as I could manage, I made my way to a naturopath. I refused to take any allopathic meds. Instead I took homeopathic remedies, and I did the testing, of homones and of my cortisol levels. Sure enough, I was estrogen dominant and my cortisol levels were depleted. I was stage 2 adrenal fatigue.

My ND immediately started me on 5HTP, and Meta IC3, and chaste tree.

Then, come mid-October, she started me on all the adrenal herbs - which I can list a bit later in another post if it helps anyone.

But, High Potency Vitamin C and Magnesium are the cornerstones.

I've been taking everything religiously, do at least 20 minutes of walking everyday, and try not to argue with anyone. (In the past, I would have regular disagreements, but feel I am losing my 'voice' the stamp of my personality, which gets me down. But I try to remind myself that it's my health or my pride...take the pick. Inevitably, my health wins.) Also, I try to have rest whenever possible, and have changed my diet for more protein, less carbs, and ZERO sugar or caffeine.

My ND says that it takes time to recover. Months, or even a few years.

I do feel a lot better these days. I still get the odd bit odd depression or anxiety - but nothing like before. I notice depression/anxiety happens when i have too much on my plate, or am expecting myself to be perfect in work or to do too much. The whole experience has certainly knocked my confidence, and this is probably the hardest aspect to work with. I rarely charge ahead like I used to. I just hope I will get back to my normal self, with confidence - not too far in the future.

Any AF fatigue success stories?


Thanks so much for sharing!!
ipodlove is offline  
#65 of 261 Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
 
ipodlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
Wow....this thread is so helpful.
The old one is Sooooo long...I have waded my way through about half of it so far.
I suspect I may have AF
Symptoms are:
(These I have had for a while now)
*feel tired most of the time
*hard time getting out of bed (even after 8 hrs of sleep)
*NO sex drive whatsoever (this preceded having my son who is now 18months old)...let me tell you this doesn't do my marriage any favors
*low tolerance to stress
*anger easily
*easily overwhelmed
*dark bags under my eyes
*bad skin
*moody

These sxs are more recent
*forgetful
*dizziness...weird feeling like I am floating or on a sky walk at the airport when i walk)
*Getting sick alot with colds etc
*skin is worse
I hear you, and can identify with all this, with the odd bit of depression or anxiety. I've been diagnosed with AF...

the herbs are really helping though - especially the skin, which is soft and glowing. Vitamin B complex was very helpful too at the beginning.

It takes time.
ipodlove is offline  
#66 of 261 Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ipodlove

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#67 of 261 Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Beth F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do I begin?

Two years ago, I was seeing a holistically inspired doctor who wanted me to take cortisol because my Dianos-Techs test showed that my morning free cortisol level was 3, noon was 1, and evening was 1, and night was less than 1. My pooled DHEA level was 2, stage 7.

I didn't take the cortisol because I was concerned that it would feed my yeast and was concerned about taking anything that I might pass on to my exclusively breastfed (her choice) 1yo dd. I didn't know my amalgams were already were already working on her.

Last night, I saw thishttp://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...ymptoms-matrix chart that compares various adrenal and thyroid symptoms. I've got low platelets, low blood pressure, low cholesterol with very high HDL.

I wake after too little sleep that is always light and of poor quality. Lately, the quality has gotten even worse, and my parenting is suffering (which has finally prompted me to post here). My sleep degrades to almost no sleep right before my cycle starts.

My GI system is extremely fragile at this point. I can only tolerate select meats, overcooked green beans that have been frozen, overcooked and peeled asparagus, and peeled and well cooked zucchini. No grains, eggs, dairy, nuts....I only tolerate a few supplements. I've finally found a D3 that doesn't give me stomachaches. Cod liver oil, even Green's Pasture, does not agree with me. A drop of alcohol in a homeopathic remedy is way, way too much for me.

What do I do now? Do I do another Diagnos-Techs test? Just start taking pregnenolone on my own? Understandably, I'm overwhelmed and wish that there was a local health care practitioner who I could trust, would take my insurance, and recommend food based supplements.

Any suggestions?
Beth F is offline  
#68 of 261 Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
 
balancedmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Popping in quickly to see if anyone has any recommendations for labs to get my saliva tested. TIA!

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
balancedmama is offline  
#69 of 261 Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
 
sarada2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me a doctor who treats adrenals and thyroid in MD, VA and Washington DC area.
Recently I had ASI test and I don't know how can I interpret that.

Thank you
sarada2010 is offline  
#70 of 261 Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
 
smeisnotapirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 5,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subby.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

 

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

smeisnotapirate is offline  
#71 of 261 Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
Popping in quickly to see if anyone has any recommendations for labs to get my saliva tested. TIA!
DH got tested through Canary Club, it's the 4x/day saliva test (they have a 1 or 2x test as well, but really, 4x is much more helpful), I think it's a bit less than $200 (so it's not the cheapest one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarada2010 View Post
Hi,
I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me a doctor who treats adrenals and thyroid in MD, VA and Washington DC area.
Recently I had ASI test and I don't know how can I interpret that.

Thank you
I'd ask on the Finding Your Tribe forum (near the top of the page that lists all the forums), and expect to go to someone alternative, maybe an acupuncturist (I love acupuncture), or a chiropractor, an ND, not an endocrinologist. You probably want someone who will look at your whole health history--why do you have thyroid and adrenal issues? That would be ideal. But there should be a lot of people, you just need to find someone who's a good fit for you. Best of luck!

eta: check out this website for interpreting results, should've mentioned this at first...
http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%201%20.html

Look through all 7 stages to see what fits best, lots of people seem to realize hey! I need help in stage 5, but it can vary (and some folks like my DH don't fit any stage well, I think there's some fuzziness as we're transitioning from one stage to another).
tanyalynn is offline  
#72 of 261 Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 PM
 
sarada2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you TanyaLopez. I posted it in Finding your Tribe forum.
sarada2010 is offline  
#73 of 261 Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
 
sarada2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my ASI and found out that I have high Cortisol. My results are below. He said that until now he did not seen this type Cortisol levels in his clinical studies and also said that my result is just na artifact

Free Cortisol Rhythm

06:00-8:00 AM 10 Depressed 13-24nM
11:00-noon 12 Elevated 5-10nM
04:00-5:00 PM 25 Elevated 3-8nM
10:00-Midnight 4 Normal 1-4nM

Cortisol Burden 51 23-42

DHEA 10 Normal 3-10ng/ml
Insulin 3 Normal
Progesterone 25 Normal
Total Salivary SIgA 12 Depressed Normal 25-60 mg/dl
Gliadin Ab,SIgA(Saliva) 9 Negative

My doctor gave me the following supplements. If ay of you used any of the following please let me know your experiences.

Pregnenolone
Choline Bitartrate
Florastor
Gymnema4g
Mellow-Tone(with Melatonin)
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Sarada
sarada2010 is offline  
#74 of 261 Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any one here use neuroscience? I used them for my saliva test through my ND it was covered my insurance so that was AWESOME! Anyway I'm taking their adrecor but not sure about it really. Jsut wondering thoughts on this. Also taking neurotransmitter support. Serotonin was really low

I'm feeling frustrated tho because even though I'm seeing an ND for my thyoid/adrenals I feel like I'm getting no where. It's hard finding an ND who has alot of experience treating adrenals Can acupuncture help with AF?

Tanya are you still doing acupuncture?
mom61508 is offline  
#75 of 261 Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm working long-distance with an acupuncturist, so while we talk about TCM stuff (seasons, foods, the way TCM categorizes these things and how they relate to different body systems), I don't actually get needles anymore. Loved it when I did though.

TCM sees adrenal issues as part of the kidney subsystem ("kidney" meaning not just the kidneys, which filter our blood and dump stuff into urine, but a broader system concept). If you read about kidney yin deficiency, it's what we would call adrenal fatigue. This pdf talks about it--so yeah, an acupuncturist should recognize what's going on, but depending on whether your stresses are in the past or are current, that factors into how quickly you start feeling better, and then getting all the way healthy.

http://www.mybodywisdom.net/pdf/Nutr...Kidney_Yin.pdf

mom61508--do you feel like you've got a good handle on _why_ your thyroid and adrenals are having trouble? That was key for me, and it turned out it was something that may not be peoples' first guess.

I think this part is key--if a stress is ongoing, then it can be an uphill battle to heal. Really looking at the chronology of my health history, plus my family health history, showed that I'd had a slow downhill progression for a long time. And for me, noting when my amalgam fillings were placed was important.

Cutting out gluten and dairy was really helpful for me--they weren't the original problem, but as part of my underlying problem gluten and dairy become difficult to digest. It seems like gluten in particular becomes problematic for different reasons for different people, so gf (or gfdf) is something to consider.

Sarada--I haven't used most of those, Florastor should be good for gut health, and I take melatonin every night, and give it to my kids. Love it, don't plan to use it forever, but it's well worth it to get good sleep for all of us.

The 4-5pm reading seems really, really high, I don't understand why, except some error somewhere. How do you feel in the late afternoon? Normal energy, a tired slump?

Low sIgA doesn't seem good, did your ND talk about that? I _think_ if total sIgA is low, then low gliadin antibodies aren't significant--gluten could still be an issue. Have you tried, or considered trying, gluten (and dairy) free? Do people in your family tend to have digestive issues? Always good to do a bit of reading and rule in/out the likelihood of celiac (digestive issues, autoimmune issues, type 1 diabetes can coincide, stuff like that). For us, based on family history and symptoms, it's not our issue, but it was helpful to think about it to know that DD just has garden variety gluten intolerance.
tanyalynn is offline  
#76 of 261 Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Any one here use neuroscience? I used them for my saliva test through my ND it was covered my insurance so that was AWESOME! Anyway I'm taking their adrecor but not sure about it really. Jsut wondering thoughts on this. Also taking neurotransmitter support. Serotonin was really low

I'm feeling frustrated tho because even though I'm seeing an ND for my thyoid/adrenals I feel like I'm getting no where. It's hard finding an ND who has alot of experience treating adrenals Can acupuncture help with AF?

Tanya are you still doing acupuncture?
Yes - I did my testing through them and used 1 bottle of Adrecor. I absolutely hated the adrecor - too chemically. Made me want to vomit every time I got the capsules near my mouth. I've since switched to Metagenics' Adrenogen (?).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
#77 of 261 Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm working long-distance with an acupuncturist, so while we talk about TCM stuff (seasons, foods, the way TCM categorizes these things and how they relate to different body systems), I don't actually get needles anymore. Loved it when I did though.

TCM sees adrenal issues as part of the kidney subsystem ("kidney" meaning not just the kidneys, which filter our blood and dump stuff into urine, but a broader system concept). If you read about kidney yin deficiency, it's what we would call adrenal fatigue. This pdf talks about it--so yeah, an acupuncturist should recognize what's going on, but depending on whether your stresses are in the past or are current, that factors into how quickly you start feeling better, and then getting all the way healthy.

http://www.mybodywisdom.net/pdf/Nutr...Kidney_Yin.pdf

mom61508--do you feel like you've got a good handle on _why_ your thyroid and adrenals are having trouble? That was key for me, and it turned out it was something that may not be peoples' first guess.

I think this part is key--if a stress is ongoing, then it can be an uphill battle to heal. Really looking at the chronology of my health history, plus my family health history, showed that I'd had a slow downhill progression for a long time. And for me, noting when my amalgam fillings were placed was important.

Cutting out gluten and dairy was really helpful for me--they weren't the original problem, but as part of my underlying problem gluten and dairy become difficult to digest. It seems like gluten in particular becomes problematic for different reasons for different people, so gf (or gfdf) is something to consider.

Sarada--I haven't used most of those, Florastor should be good for gut health, and I take melatonin every night, and give it to my kids. Love it, don't plan to use it forever, but it's well worth it to get good sleep for all of us.

The 4-5pm reading seems really, really high, I don't understand why, except some error somewhere. How do you feel in the late afternoon? Normal energy, a tired slump?

Low sIgA doesn't seem good, did your ND talk about that? I _think_ if total sIgA is low, then low gliadin antibodies aren't significant--gluten could still be an issue. Have you tried, or considered trying, gluten (and dairy) free? Do people in your family tend to have digestive issues? Always good to do a bit of reading and rule in/out the likelihood of celiac (digestive issues, autoimmune issues, type 1 diabetes can coincide, stuff like that). For us, based on family history and symptoms, it's not our issue, but it was helpful to think about it to know that DD just has garden variety gluten intolerance.
Tanya- I don't feel like I have a handle on it at all! I can't look at my family history, I'm adopted so I have to look at my past which I have with my ND for the most part. I went gluten free for 6 weeks but didn't notice a difference. Was also dairy free before conceiving DD(also before my thyroid went crazy) for months but didn't notice anything. Would it be worth trying again you think?? I really appreciate your input

bluets- I TOTALLY AGREE! I hate taking it...the smell is awful! It was so expensive I feel like I should at lest finish the bottle. I think I'm going to go back to taking herbs. They just take so long to work so I was trying other things. How do you like the adrogen? I'm taking glutagenics for the gut by metagenics which doesn't seem to chemically.
mom61508 is offline  
#78 of 261 Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
 
sarada2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you somuch TanyaLopez.

Sarada--I haven't used most of those, Florastor should be good for gut health, and I take melatonin every night, and give it to my kids. Love it, don't plan to use it forever, but it's well worth it to get good sleep for all of us.

I also started using Melatonin,its good am getting enoogh sleep it seems. I need to start the Florastor.

The 4-5pm reading seems really, really high, I don't understand why, except some error somewhere. How do you feel in the late afternoon? Normal energy, a tired slump?

My doctor alsos said the same thing to me and did not believe my result. I feel ok in the late afternoon.

Low sIgA doesn't seem good, did your ND talk about that? I _think_ if total sIgA is low, then low gliadin antibodies aren't significant--gluten could still be an issue. Have you tried, or considered trying, gluten (and dairy) free? Do people in your family tend to have digestive issues? Always good to do a bit of reading and rule in/out the likelihood of celiac (digestive issues, autoimmune issues, type 1 diabetes can coincide, stuff like that). For us, based on family history and symptoms, it's not our issue, but it was helpful to think about it to know that DD just has garden variety gluten intolerance.

No, he did not.I am planning to go for GFDF diet and see what happens.None of my family members have the digestive issues as a matter of fact they don't have any issues. I have Hashi. I have requested to do the food allergy testing, not sure if he is going to write the test or not.

Thank you,
Sarada
sarada2010 is offline  
#79 of 261 Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Tanya- I don't feel like I have a handle on it at all! I can't look at my family history, I'm adopted so I have to look at my past which I have with my ND for the most part. I went gluten free for 6 weeks but didn't notice a difference. Was also dairy free before conceiving DD(also before my thyroid went crazy) for months but didn't notice anything. Would it be worth trying again you think?? I really appreciate your input
That makes it harder to figure things out, but still doable. I cut out gluten and dairy at the same time, I think that was important for me--not sure if either alone would've helped. That said--my DH didn't feel better gfcf, but his body works differently. I think both are problematic for him, but just removing those wasn't enough. GFCF and lower carb (not truly low carb, but almost grain-free, lots of veggies and animal products, seems to be the trick for him), so there's some guess-and-check involved in this.

So many people with thyroid issues seem to have gluten issues as well, I'd really consider it. Here's a really cool blog that is well-cited, that discusses grains and gluten in particular, maybe something will jump out at you.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarada2010 View Post

No, he did not.I am planning to go for GFDF diet and see what happens.None of my family members have the digestive issues as a matter of fact they don't have any issues. I have Hashi. I have requested to do the food allergy testing, not sure if he is going to write the test or not.

Thank you,
Sarada
Yeah, the funny thing is, I didn't have digestive issues either, and gluten was still a problem for me. Never would've guessed it without a HCP to tell me what was going on.

Just to throw it out there (not sure how far back either of you have read), my story is that it turns out that I don't deal well with the mercury in my amalgam fillings. It's not everyone's issue--my husband, for example, rocks at detoxification, he doesn't accumulate this stuff like I do. He had amalgams and they NEVER would've caused him the types of issues I was having. So my history of allergies, anxiety, depression, hypothyroidism, and general fatigue/ickiness was kicked off when my amalgams were placed when I was about 11yo. That's what I had to identify (full disclosure, I found a GREAT HCP who said "I know what's going on with you, Tanya") and start working on, and that helped with the other stuff.

Though nutrients IME were big for thyroid function--ithyroid.com is a great site to read about the nutrients our thyroids need to function--get low on them (zinc, selenium--an important one esp for Hashi's, iodine, extra B vits), and well, your thyroid won't make enough hormone. Ultimately figuring out _why_ you're low on these nutrients is important, but it helped put pieces together for me.
tanyalynn is offline  
#80 of 261 Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
 
nichole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bear, DE
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally made an appt for the dr to get my thyroid rechecked. I am actually looking forward to it. I'd say in general my AF symptoms have improved, but in the past few weeks I feel like I"m slipping backward. I feel tired after lunch, then anxious all afternoon and evening until I can finally get my boys in bed and sleep for a good 9 hours. I'm hoping that adjusting my thyroid meds will help, but it does feel like AF.

I feel great allll morning. It is just the second half of the day that blows. I feel like I am ridiculously unproductive for a 28 year old. I just kind of do the bare minimum to get by in the afternoons. BUT I know that I do have some energy, and God would want me to be optimistic. I'm going to use the energy I do have to enjoy my family and try to help my area of the world the best I can. I really want to be able to fix dinner without feeling like it is sucking the life out of me, maybe one day get a part time job, and then maybe one day doing some humanitarian work.

Now it is 8pm, and all I feel like doing is reading in bed until maybe 9pm and then I'm sure I'll be asleep. very boring, but it will help me break this tired/anxious cycle I think.
nichole is offline  
#81 of 261 Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
 
nichole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bear, DE
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow I slept until 8am. Hopefully this will help me feel better this afternoon. I'm going to try taking half my thyroid med this afternoon, too.
nichole is offline  
#82 of 261 Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
 
sarada2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, the funny thing is, I didn't have digestive issues either, and gluten was still a problem for me. Never would've guessed it without a HCP to tell me what was going on.

Just to throw it out there (not sure how far back either of you have read), my story is that it turns out that I don't deal well with the mercury in my amalgam fillings. It's not everyone's issue--my husband, for example, rocks at detoxification, he doesn't accumulate this stuff like I do. He had amalgams and they NEVER would've caused him the types of issues I was having. So my history of allergies, anxiety, depression, hypothyroidism, and general fatigue/ickiness was kicked off when my amalgams were placed when I was about 11yo. That's what I had to identify (full disclosure, I found a GREAT HCP who said "I know what's going on with you, Tanya") and start working on, and that helped with the other stuff.

Though nutrients IME were big for thyroid function--ithyroid.com is a great site to read about the nutrients our thyroids need to function--get low on them (zinc, selenium--an important one esp for Hashi's, iodine, extra B vits), and well, your thyroid won't make enough hormone. Ultimately figuring out _why_ you're low on these nutrients is important, but it helped put pieces together for me.


Tanya, it is good know you have a great HCP. I will visit the ithyroid.com website. I take zinc, for selenium I take 1brazil nut everyday. I don't have any idea of what to take for B complex.

Thank you,
Sarada
sarada2010 is offline  
#83 of 261 Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thorne makes some nice multivits and B complexes with real folate (not just folic acid) and it's easy to buy online.
tanyalynn is offline  
#84 of 261 Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
That makes it harder to figure things out, but still doable. I cut out gluten and dairy at the same time, I think that was important for me--not sure if either alone would've helped. That said--my DH didn't feel better gfcf, but his body works differently. I think both are problematic for him, but just removing those wasn't enough. GFCF and lower carb (not truly low carb, but almost grain-free, lots of veggies and animal products, seems to be the trick for him), so there's some guess-and-check involved in this.

So many people with thyroid issues seem to have gluten issues as well, I'd really consider it. Here's a really cool blog that is well-cited, that discusses grains and gluten in particular, maybe something will jump out at you.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/



Yeah, the funny thing is, I didn't have digestive issues either, and gluten was still a problem for me. Never would've guessed it without a HCP to tell me what was going on.

Just to throw it out there (not sure how far back either of you have read), my story is that it turns out that I don't deal well with the mercury in my amalgam fillings. It's not everyone's issue--my husband, for example, rocks at detoxification, he doesn't accumulate this stuff like I do. He had amalgams and they NEVER would've caused him the types of issues I was having. So my history of allergies, anxiety, depression, hypothyroidism, and general fatigue/ickiness was kicked off when my amalgams were placed when I was about 11yo. That's what I had to identify (full disclosure, I found a GREAT HCP who said "I know what's going on with you, Tanya") and start working on, and that helped with the other stuff.

Though nutrients IME were big for thyroid function--ithyroid.com is a great site to read about the nutrients our thyroids need to function--get low on them (zinc, selenium--an important one esp for Hashi's, iodine, extra B vits), and well, your thyroid won't make enough hormone. Ultimately figuring out _why_ you're low on these nutrients is important, but it helped put pieces together for me.
Tanya-going to hit up that website you gave me about gluten. Maybe I should give it another go. Curious, Do you know a lot about Hashis? BTW the info you gave me was so intersting on the kidneys
mom61508 is offline  
#85 of 261 Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Tanya-going to hit up that website you gave me about gluten. Maybe I should give it another go. Curious, Do you know a lot about Hashis? BTW the info you gave me was so intersting on the kidneys
I don't know a lot, to me Hashi's doesn't seem that much different than plain ol' hypothyroidism except for the antibodies. There's a study that showed selenium supplementation, 200mcg/day, significantly reduced antibodies, so I have to wonder if, for some of us, the difference is how low we are in selenium (selenium's also key for converting T4 to T3, so if you took Synthroid and your bloodwork was fine but you felt crappy, supplemental selenium may help). Adrenal stress can also cause similar symptoms, and some people find that their adrenals get worse if they don't support them and they do do thyroid support--not everyone, but things to consider when thyroid supplementation doesn't have the desired results.

You'd want to consider other autoimmune stuff, celiac would be an obvious one, that could be contributing to immune dysfunction. If you've got other stuff going on that's strange, looking into other autoimmune possibilities would make sense, but if it's pretty straightforward hypo symptoms and adrenal symptoms, I'd probably go with extra selenium, and regular hypo and adrenal approaches.
tanyalynn is offline  
#86 of 261 Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I don't know a lot, to me Hashi's doesn't seem that much different than plain ol' hypothyroidism except for the antibodies. There's a study that showed selenium supplementation, 200mcg/day, significantly reduced antibodies, so I have to wonder if, for some of us, the difference is how low we are in selenium (selenium's also key for converting T4 to T3, so if you took Synthroid and your bloodwork was fine but you felt crappy, supplemental selenium may help). Adrenal stress can also cause similar symptoms, and some people find that their adrenals get worse if they don't support them and they do do thyroid support--not everyone, but things to consider when thyroid supplementation doesn't have the desired results.

You'd want to consider other autoimmune stuff, celiac would be an obvious one, that could be contributing to immune dysfunction. If you've got other stuff going on that's strange, looking into other autoimmune possibilities would make sense, but if it's pretty straightforward hypo symptoms and adrenal symptoms, I'd probably go with extra selenium, and regular hypo and adrenal approaches.
I took armour then naturthroid then went off the meds because I swung into hyper. I'm definitely not celiac but sensitive maybe but like I said I cut gluten out for 6 weeks and didn't notice a difference so that makes me hesitant to try again. The thing that's strange is I have no hyper symptoms except irregualr heartbeat but have had that since I was 16. I know my adrenals really suffering. But can't seem to get anywhere with my ND Don't want to get to into thyroid here but the thyroid thread isn't very hoppin
mom61508 is offline  
#87 of 261 Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I took armour then naturthroid then went off the meds because I swung into hyper. I'm definitely not celiac but sensitive maybe but like I said I cut gluten out for 6 weeks and didn't notice a difference so that makes me hesitant to try again. The thing that's strange is I have no hyper symptoms except irregualr heartbeat but have had that since I was 16. I know my adrenals really suffering. But can't seem to get anywhere with my ND Don't want to get to into thyroid here but the thyroid thread isn't very hoppin
It's actually really typical to get "hyper" symptoms when you start/take Armour or it's alternatives- ESPECIALLY if your adrenals aren't up to par. All of the thyroid meds state explicitly that you should not take them if your adrenals aren't functioning appropriately (or something similar, can't remember the exact quote).
Some of the thyroid symptoms seem to jump the fence as they "feel" like it too. I believe there are some women in the thyroid thread who've experienced rapid heartbeat from hypo.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#88 of 261 Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
It's actually really typical to get "hyper" symptoms when you start/take Armour or it's alternatives- ESPECIALLY if your adrenals aren't up to par. All of the thyroid meds state explicitly that you should not take them if your adrenals aren't functioning appropriately (or something similar, can't remember the exact quote).
Some of the thyroid symptoms seem to jump the fence as they "feel" like it too. I believe there are some women in the thyroid thread who've experienced rapid heartbeat from hypo.
Isn't it typical when you have Hashis to swing from hypo to hyper tho?? My heartbeat rarely feels rapid. It's skips beat though. It's done that for years. I won't go on naturthroid again that's for sure although it did help for a short time. What are you doing for your adrenals/thyroid?I think I remember that you have hashis? I like to hear what others are doing.
mom61508 is offline  
#89 of 261 Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Isn't it typical when you have Hashis to swing from hypo to hyper tho?? My heartbeat rarely feels rapid. It's skips beat though. It's done that for years. I won't go on naturthroid again that's for sure although it did help for a short time. What are you doing for your adrenals/thyroid?I think I remember that you have hashis? I like to hear what others are doing.
Yes, I do have Hashi's. I'm on Armour/desiccated thyroid (was Naturethroid for a while, now compounded thyroid) as well as Adrenal Support supplement, B complex, prenatal, vitamin D, cal/mag supp, selenium (helps to decrease antibodies) and a bunch of others... Also gluten (there are studies saying it may increase antibodies), dairy, soy/goitrogen, and other free or limited usually.
My heart was the same way. It's adrenal related.
I've heard it is, but I'm still waiting for a hyper period nearly 2 years post-dx.
At this point, I'm trying to optimize my nutrition (through supplements for now but working on dietary changes again as well), get sufficient rest and reduce/manage stress.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#90 of 261 Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to have skipped beats, since I was a kid/teens (don't remember exactly), it's gone away now that I've supplemented magnesium a while. I also had periodic racing episodes, but I didn't know about them except for a doc finding them with testing, so I don't know if they're gone. But I'm wondering if they were a different mag deficiency related weirdness. But I didn't feel panicky or anxious or anything, so I'm not sure it's the same. But most everyone could use more magnesium, particularly the people who post to threads in H&H.
tanyalynn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off