THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 261 Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Again, sad about your loss. It feels profound. We're coming up on a year since my mom died suddenly and it is much easier than it was in the midst of it.
It goes so quickly and yet so slowly. I'm having a hard time to believe this will be the 3rd anniversary for my father.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 261 Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can I ask those of you who've lost parents how your outlooks changed and if they ever dissolved? I think I'm feeling a bit down lately. Right after my Dad died, people said I'd go on adrenaline for a bit, then get sad, then angry, then depressed. I know that this pattern can't be the same for everyone (I know a lot of men who skip right to anger and stay there a while.)
I don't tend towards depression, but sitting here, going through all of his stuff, just tears me up - especially realizing how much he struggled with debt. What angers me the most is that he paid out the wazoo for health insurance and yet STILL struggled with medical debt. This really, REALLY makes me feel angry. I don't know how to turn that anger into something less....toxic, because I feel like it's justified.
And then the other debt, and ALL of the credit card offers and credit card checks - it just infuriates me how creditors prey on people in financial distress.
And then there's the guilt, that if I'd known of his financial stress, I could have DONE something, could have made a difference, but I never knew the extent of it.

I think a lot of this is just me feeling overwhelmed with everything I have to get through - and some of it with a deadline, like taxes. ugh.

I guess I want to know if everything was "tainted" with death for a while for you? It sounds terrible, but I look at my Mom and think "It's just a matter of time...wonder how she'll go?" And I look at pictures of my Dad when he was a chubby, healthy little baby or toddler and I quickly think of my babies, how fast time goes by and how I don't want them to ever suffer any of the stress or health issues that my Dad dealt with.
And I think of myself - this one is hard - the health anxiety is hard to tame. I think that at 33, my arteries could be seriously diseased. I think of my sensitivity to sugars and carbs and wonder if I'm pre-diabetic. I think of my weak adrenals and wonder if I'm doomed to heart disease caused by stress.

I just feel so deeply immersed in all of this and I must get through all of this, but it's so hard to lose your perspective.

At least the seasons are on my side - if it was October, I don't know how I'd get through this.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#123 of 261 Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i haven't read the whole thread yet but just wanted to join and give my story. about 1.5 years ago i went to the endo with my 24-hr salivary cortisol test (and other hormones) showing mild adrenal fatigue. she said the tests were unreliable because 90% of her patients would have the same results (uh, where else would they go? the dentist?). anyway, she said from my symptoms that i might be developing hashimoto's. blood tests at the time came back OK.

since then, i've gotten worse. more anxiety, more panic attacks, and my thyroid has now swollen much larger than normal on the right side and has developed bumps. she's diagnosed me as having developed hashimoto's thyroiditis, started me on synthroid, and is having new blood work done at the end of the month.

i kind of feel like i would not have developed the hashi's if she had adequately addressed my adrenal issues. so, since she doesn't believe in adrenal fatigue (until it becomes addison's), and didn't want me to try Lugol's iodine, i'm doing everything on my own.

so far i've added in sodium ascorbate (about 4000 mg/day), B5 (1500 mg/mcg? per day), magnesium (400-600 mg/day), B-complex, D3 (6000-8000 IU/day), iodine/iodide from Lugol's solution (currently at 1 drop every other day; next week i'll try 1 drop every day and see how it feels. i had tried 2 drops at a time and it made me feel sick for days afterwards), potassium (99 mg/mcg?), selenium (have to refill) (200 mcg/day), tulsi tea, and occasionally licorice root tea, but it makes me feel kind of edgy. anything else i should be taking?
#124 of 261 Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM

i am pretty sure my DH has adrenal fatigue. recently he was put on effexor by the doctor for anxiety and anxious-depression. he had a horrible reaction to it and despite being off of it for almost 4 weeks he is still having daily episodes of shakes, sweats, muscle aches and sore throat. they call this "flu syndrome." it's a somewhat common side effect to SSRI withdrawl.

however, the doc says it's not in his body anymore, and why his CNS is acting like it is is unknown.

i suspect AF. any thoughts, suggestions, advice? the doc he is seeing now (as of this week) is more open to complementary meds/treatment. but not particularly well versed. i did email her to see if their is a blood test DS can take. she already wants his vitamin D levels checked and so i was hoping she could just add something on to the form.

i am really confused about how to proceed.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#125 of 261 Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM

umami_mommy,
I would suggest posting to The Iodine Thread. Most anti-depressants contain fluoride, a powerful neuro-toxin, which can have side-effects very similar to what you're describing. Iodine/iodide, being in the same "family" of chemicals, may be of help.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#126 of 261 Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM

So, I have been reading this thread and the earlier thread but I am really overwhelmed by all the info. I also don't know whether I fit here or not. But I guess to a certain degree, I know something is wrong, and my endocrinologist ordered a saliva test; apparently it came back with elevated levels of cortisol. I don't know how elevated, since I haven't seen her yet--I'm doing several other tests first and then going back for an appointment.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out just what high cortisol actually means. Unless it means Cushing's disease, but I think I'd be really sick if I had that. So, I'm just reading and absorbing.
#127 of 261 Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM

You guys, I know we are supposed to avoid caffeine, but I just CANNOT give up my cup of green tea in the afternoon. I am reading that it is a better choice for us than coffee so I'll justify it that way!
#128 of 261 Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
You guys, I know we are supposed to avoid caffeine, but I just CANNOT give up my cup of green tea in the afternoon. I am reading that it is a better choice for us than coffee so I'll justify it that way!
I drink a half cup of half-caf every morning.

#129 of 261 Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
subbing..

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#130 of 261 Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm a little disappointed...I had to drink even more caffeine today just to make it through the day. I did work on setting limits with my kids a little bit. I also ordered some b5 to take in addition to my b complex. How much b5 do you guys take?

It's weird...I need the coffee more for the stress than to stay awake. It helps me deal for some reason.

I've been taking lots of supplements and getting plenty of sleep. I guess it just takes time to get better. I would say I'm only in stage 2 or 3 of adrenal fatigue, but it still sucks to feel like crap!!
#131 of 261 Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 PM

I was reading a blog from someone who overcame adrenal fatigue and she said she stopped oversleeping as one of her steps to getting better. What do you guys think about this? See this link. It explains the idea behind it.

http://a-sleep.com/33/how-to-stop-oversleeping/
#132 of 261 Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed...I had to drink even more caffeine today just to make it through the day. I did work on setting limits with my kids a little bit. I also ordered some b5 to take in addition to my b complex. How much b5 do you guys take?

It's weird...I need the coffee more for the stress than to stay awake. It helps me deal for some reason.

I've been taking lots of supplements and getting plenty of sleep. I guess it just takes time to get better. I would say I'm only in stage 2 or 3 of adrenal fatigue, but it still sucks to feel like crap!!
I'm wondering how much extra B5 to add to my B's as well. I think I read somewhere to take 500 mcg right at bedtime...maybe??? I totally feel you too we spent 3 weeks in a hotel, drove 13 hours to another hotel, stayed 3 nights there, then went and got an apartment to live in for at the longest 6 months but we could be in another state at any moment. So that has really taxed my adrenals because I've been unusually tired all day everyday. On top of that when you travel it's really hard to eat right that's the hardest part for me. I have been drinking a little more coffee(latte) than usual
#133 of 261 Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I thought I would post this (since for me at least) it's nice to have something to look at that reminds me what I should be doing dietary wise for my adrenals. although I'm not to sure glandulars are for everyone

http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-adr...eys-to-health/
#134 of 261 Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM

I haven't read all of the posts here, but can someone tell me if they've successfully used green smoothies to help overcome AF? If it has been discussed, please say yes and I'll go back and search. Thank!s
#135 of 261 Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
I haven't read all of the posts here, but can someone tell me if they've successfully used green smoothies to help overcome AF? If it has been discussed, please say yes and I'll go back and search. Thank!s
I don't think so but it's been awhile since I read the whole thread. I think green smoothies are beneficial for sure but I wouldn't think that green smoothies alone would treat the adrenals imo. Read my link above, it talks about diet that helps adrenals.
#136 of 261 Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I thought I would post this (since for me at least) it's nice to have something to look at that reminds me what I should be doing dietary wise for my adrenals. although I'm not to sure glandulars are for everyone

http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-adr...eys-to-health/
Nice article.

I'm loving my b5!!! Today has been great and I didn't have to rely on caffeine!
#137 of 261 Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Nice article.

I'm loving my b5!!! Today has been great and I didn't have to rely on caffeine!

How much you taking and what brand did you get? Are you taking it at bedtime?
#138 of 261 Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
How much you taking and what brand did you get? Are you taking it at bedtime?
I bought 100mg from Vitamin Shoppe. It was only five dollars so I figured why not try it.

I have been taking 2-3 with meals. Some adrenal support supplements have over 1000mg B5 in them. I tried just taking one, and it just took the edge off how I was feeling. Hopefully one day I will be healed and can stop taking it.

I would really like to exercise again one day! I think that has been part of my problem. I tried to start back exercising too soon. I should stick to yoga, walking, playing tag with my kids, etc.
#139 of 261 Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM

I think I have AF. My problem is the constant stress in my life over time has caused me to feel like EVERYTHING is a big effing deal. I am driving my husband crazy and not being nice to my family. The light bulb moment for me was reading about being tired in the morning, even if you got sleep and being able to stay awake with a second wind at night. I thought that was normal for being a Mom.

I don't have the money for a $200 saliva test. Insurance doesn't pay for it?

I have not been to the doctor since my daughter was 6 weeks and she will be 2 in June. Well, acupuncture and chiro, but not a physical. I think it is time.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#140 of 261 Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirls View Post
I think I have AF. My problem is the constant stress in my life over time has caused me to feel like EVERYTHING is a big effing deal. I am driving my husband crazy and not being nice to my family. The light bulb moment for me was reading about being tired in the morning, even if you got sleep and being able to stay awake with a second wind at night. I thought that was normal for being a Mom.

I don't have the money for a $200 saliva test. Insurance doesn't pay for it?

I have not been to the doctor since my daughter was 6 weeks and she will be 2 in June. Well, acupuncture and chiro, but not a physical. I think it is time.
Insurance covered my saliva test. We have Aetna. You can at least do some supps for your adrenals now. A B-complex perhaps? Nettles, vitamin C??? Thorne makes a good B with extra B5 that I like. Holy Basil, Ashwaganda and Siberian Ginseng are great adaptogens for stress No caffeine eat lots of good fats! Fats was the biggie for me. Try some melatonin at bedtime.
#141 of 261 Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I definitely have severe Adrenal Fatigue. I started taking Rhodiola tincture a few weeks ago and have seen amazing results from it! Unfortunately, I need to stop taking it because we are TTC this month and I've read that it isn't safe while pg or nursing.

Is there something else I can take that is safe that I can expect similar results from? I've heard of Ashwaganda, Shatavari, and a couple other adaptogens, but would like to hear from other mamas dealing with AF as to which ones they've found to be effective that are also safe during pg/nursing.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#142 of 261 Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

I just started to work on healthy adrenals about 2 weeks ago and I feel AMAZING!!! I haven't had energy in YEARS. I created a morning and evening routine for myself.

1. In bed BEFORE 10pm. Every. Single. Night. No. Exceptions. <---- This is huge for me...I was a night owl. It has been the #1 thing that has helped my energy levels and mood. I take an epsom salt bath at 9pm while drinking chammomile tea with a dash of honey. I put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bath to help me relax.

2. No caffeine. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. After I read that caffeine contributed to adrenal burnout, I was ON IT.

3. Ginseng tea (double strength) every single morning. <---Can you say ENERGY?! lol

4. A huge glass of freshly squeezed lemon water first thing in the morning. HUGE glass!

5. 5 minutes of looking in the direction of the sun every single morning (even if the sun is not there). Today was rainy and cloudy, so I stood in the porch @ the full glass door drinking my tea and water.

6. No computer or TV or technology at least one hour before bed and for the first hour every morning.

7. Vitamin D supplement.

8. No sugar. (gulp). This is hard for a sugar addict and I haven't been perfect, but pretty stinkin close.

Good luck to all of you! Glad to see this thread!!!
#143 of 261 Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post

6. No computer or TV or technology at least one hour before bed and for the first hour every morning.

Everything else sounds amazing!

Pat

I have a blog.
#144 of 261 Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Everything else sounds amazing!

Pat
so that's what my problem is! (the computer and then the late nights probably too)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#145 of 261 Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post
I just started to work on healthy adrenals about 2 weeks ago and I feel AMAZING!!! I haven't had energy in YEARS. I created a morning and evening routine for myself.

1. In bed BEFORE 10pm. Every. Single. Night. No. Exceptions. <---- This is huge for me...I was a night owl. It has been the #1 thing that has helped my energy levels and mood. I take an epsom salt bath at 9pm while drinking chammomile tea with a dash of honey. I put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bath to help me relax.

2. No caffeine. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. After I read that caffeine contributed to adrenal burnout, I was ON IT.

3. Ginseng tea (double strength) every single morning. <---Can you say ENERGY?! lol

4. A huge glass of freshly squeezed lemon water first thing in the morning. HUGE glass!

5. 5 minutes of looking in the direction of the sun every single morning (even if the sun is not there). Today was rainy and cloudy, so I stood in the porch @ the full glass door drinking my tea and water.

7. Vitamin D supplement.

8. No sugar. (gulp). This is hard for a sugar addict and I haven't been perfect, but pretty stinkin close.

Good luck to all of you! Glad to see this thread!!!
Which ginseng tea are you using? How does it taste? That's great btw!
#146 of 261 Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I definitely have severe Adrenal Fatigue. I started taking Rhodiola tincture a few weeks ago and have seen amazing results from it! Unfortunately, I need to stop taking it because we are TTC this month and I've read that it isn't safe while pg or nursing.

Is there something else I can take that is safe that I can expect similar results from? I've heard of Ashwaganda, Shatavari, and a couple other adaptogens, but would like to hear from other mamas dealing with AF as to which ones they've found to be effective that are also safe during pg/nursing.
Siberian ginseng is ok to take I *think*. I take ashwaganda daily but I'm not sure about that one during pregnancy. What about B vitamins for you?
#147 of 261 Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Siberian ginseng is ok to take I *think*. I take ashwaganda daily but I'm not sure about that one during pregnancy. What about B vitamins for you?
There is ashwaganda, cordyceps and eleuthero in Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support and I took it through my pregnancy (whenever I was able to, anyway ).

#148 of 261 Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
There is ashwaganda, cordyceps and eleuthero in Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support and I took it through my pregnancy (whenever I was able to, anyway ).
Good to know! did you notice a difference?
#149 of 261 Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Good to know! did you notice a difference?
i notice a difference if i miss it.

#150 of 261 Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
i notice a difference if i miss it.
I'm thinking I need to add something. The mornings have been very rough for me lately. I feel completely dead(it's a struggle to lift a finger) when DD wakes me up and she's even been sleeping in till 830-9. I want coffee so bad in the AM but I'm trying like heck to avoid it! This AM I'm sipping on a warmed cup of nettles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page