Split abs during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2002, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else experience a split in their abdominal muscles during pregnancy? My ds is now 18 months old and I still have a large split in the muscles all the way down my belly. My doctor (family practitioner) wanted to refer me for surgery but that seems a bit drastic. I have never excercised, which is probably why it didn't heal up. I had a vaginal delivery, not a c-section. I heard that the split makes it difficult to carry another baby. Does anyone know anything about this?

Harriet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 06:38 PM

My first pg was with twins, so I grew rather quickly & the abs did spread a little. The one on the left actually tore a little & the last month of my pregnancy was horrid because of the burning pain--like continuously strretching a pulled muscle. It must have some scar tissue & still be weak because it did it again with my last pg. They are slightly spead still, but not bad--like a fingertip width maybe. I haven't ever done ab exercizes either.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:55 AM

Mine did too with my first pregnancy. I don't know if they came back together again or not, but my son is 2 1/2 now and I'm 8 months pregnant. My back is a bit more sore this time, but I have no idea how much is related to split abs, or just to more stretched out abs.

Anyway, I didn't exercise either. I'm starting to think about some type of exercise plan to start when the new babe is about 3 months old, so my abs aren't forever neglected.

User Tag List