Help! I have a goiter! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-26-2002, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to have an ultrasound of my thyroid next week, because my endocrinologist (I have diabetes) said there are two nodules on it. Does anyone know anything about this? or what can be done naturally? I'm only seeing an endo because I will be ttc next month and had to go on insulin. Is there a problem with getting pregnant if you have a goiter? I prefer to treat it naturally, but there are scarce to no natural practitioners around here!

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2002, 05:18 PM

I think that goiter is just an advanced case of either hyper or hypo thyroidism, and meds can help. I don't know about natural cures, but I'm sure iodine has something to do with the thyroid.
#3 of 8 Old 04-27-2002, 10:41 AM
glh

If you are hypothyroid you will need to take thyroid meds, but they do not interfere with pregnancy and may actually help you get pregnant. It is also very important for the baby that you are not hypothyroid while pregnant. I don't know about hyperthyroid and pregnancy.
#4 of 8 Old 04-27-2002, 11:04 AM

A goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland located in the center of the throat.Either an overactive or underactive thyroid can cause one to grow,since in both forms the thyroid gland attemps to compensate for the production of thyroid hormone.Most occur when iodine is lacking from the diet.Things to do: Eat lots of seafood like kelp.Lots of leafy greens.Sweet potato is good,b/c you need vita A and E.Homeopathy: Take the 30C strength every 12 hours up to 2 weeks:

Take Iodum for a person who is obsessive,always in a hurry and hot
Spongia is recommended for a long standing hard swelling of the thyriod.
Calcarea for a chilly,pale overweight person who tends to sweat (esp.sweaty feet)
#5 of 8 Old 04-27-2002, 01:16 PM

Have you looked into taking selenium? I use it for "boarderline hypothyroidism".

Another thing that may sound "radical", how many amalgams (silver fillings ) are in your mouth? these fillings are 50 % mercury by volume, they do leach and you breath mercury. Mercury is a known cause of thyroid problems.

Just another avenue to look into. Look into the area about known diseases caused by mercury toxicity.

http://hometown.aol.com/noamalgam/
#6 of 8 Old 04-27-2002, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I take Natural Dissicated thyroid. 3 1/2 grams. The tricky part is getting someone to prescribe it. I have found a wonderful Dr. who will learn about anything and try most anything to get a person well. i love him. There is a book by Broda Barnes that talks in depth about throid disease and natural thyroid. i think it is called the unsespected Illness or something like that.

Yes you should definitely get it taken care of if you are trying to concieve. Low thyroid can cause infertility and miscarraige.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2002, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your replies! I'll try the Iodum, and I'll add more of the other things mentioned to my diet. I already do eat some of all of them. I got my blood tests results back and apparently, if it's anything, it's hyperthyroidism, but my free T4s are in good numbers, so they may have just caught my TSH at a low point in the hormonal cycle. At least it's not hypothyroidism! Although, if I have a goiter, and a goiter is caused by one or the other, and I don't have either, why do I have a goiter? Sigh. There have been so many times I've wished I didn't have diabetes, so I could continue not having to deal with medical doctors. I am so bummed I will not be able to have a homebirth this time.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2002, 02:57 PM
glh

It seems like there are more than a few of us with thyroid problems. This might make a good article for Mothering Magazine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page