Did my baby break my nose? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Did my baby break my nose?
MyZymurgy's Avatar MyZymurgy 12:31 PM 10-27-2009
I'm having a very Marcia Brady day ("oh my nose!") Actually, this all started yesterday morning. I co-sleep with my 14 mo and he was sitting up in bed next to me as I was waking up. Then he suddenly fell backwards (I am sure expecting to have a fun bouncy landing on the bed) and he hit my nose. It made a loud crack. My DH could hear it and was horrified. LOL! It hurt, for sure... but there was no blood so I didn't give it much thought. The pain passed within an hour or so.

Then by midafternoon I had an intense headache. I ended up going to bed early as my head felt like it was going to explode. This morning, when I woke up, I saw a bruise across the bridge of my nose and when I run my finger down my nose I feel a bump on the bridge that wasn't there before. I still have a bad headache, but I think it is getting better and not worse at this point.

So... is it possible I broke my nose? Keep in mind, at no point did I bleed... Could the loud "crack" have another cause - like cartilage popping?

Obviously, I'd really prefer to not go to the doctor if I don't need to... but I don't want to miss a window of opportunity to help my nose heal properly (if it would need to be set or something). I'm having a hard time believing it is broken, there is only very minor bruising and no external bleeding. But, this headache is a killer.

Anyone have something similar happen to them? Any advice on home remedies? Or should I be calling the doctor?

Thanks so much!

lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 03:56 PM 10-27-2009
My brother has broke his nose 13 times. (Yes, really. Please don't ask. )
Sounds like yours may be broken. I would go in just to make sure it doesn't need to be set, though it doesn't sound like it does.
Ice packs and ibuprofen.
MyZymurgy's Avatar MyZymurgy 02:24 AM 10-28-2009
Thanks so much for your response!

My headache's starting to wane... so I think I'll just relax and see how things go. I'm trying to avoid the doctor just because I don't want to drag my 14 month old into germland (and he'd have to come with me).

The little bump and bruise are still there, and it's still tender to the touch... but the intense headache was what I found most alarming. Now I feel like it's getting better.

Ah... the dangers of co-sleeping!
Caneel's Avatar Caneel 06:53 PM 10-29-2009
DS hit me in the face when he was about 18 months and I had the same audible crack. And boy did it hurt! I didn't go to the doctor but it took weeks for the pain to go away.
Up