Mothering Forum banner

4.5 yo can't play outside??

716 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  babygrant 
#1 ·
For about three months my 4.5 yo has been COVERED in bug bites. Mostly in his crotch, waistline and armpits. My 2 yo has none or very few.

I've washed EVERYTHING inside the house, the dogs have been treated with insane chemicals for fleas, etc (which I have never had to do before because we just don't seem to get fleas). His bed has been totally stripped and washed on sani-wash to kill any bugs/eggs.

I say this even though there were never any bugs inside my house that I know of (other than a few spiders and a fly or two). My dogs are little and white, I would see if they had fleas, I check all the time.

These bugs are coming from him playing outside. He sits and lays in the grass, climbs through the bushes and flowers, he climbs trees, digs in the dirt. He is a 4 year old and I thought we were giving him a very healthy childhood!

But these bug bites are INSANE! He even started getting allergic to them he had so many. If I keep him inside (we had 3 days of rain) he doesn't get new ones. We live in southern california and he wears shorts about 8 months of the year.

I have NO idea what to do! The doctor says he has to stay inside...

I don't want to spray to kill insects in the yard, that seems ridiculous! It's also against what I believe about the ecosystem of the planet and seems unhealthy for the kids.

And I don't want to put chemicals on him every single day, that I don't think would even work. We don't really have mosquitos here, so it's not those.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
What if you and dc concoct your own special bug spray (so he likes the smell and won't mind wearing it everyday) out of essential oils?

citronella of course comes to mind, maybe tea tree or lavender. I know there are others but I've gotta run. I know if you google search you'll find info.
Good Luck!!

#3 ·
I second the non-chemical repellant idea...also, what about supervising his playtime a bit more intensely for a while so that you can teach him new activities that don't have him crawling through bug habitats? can you get a sand box with a lid? What about a bike? Or a swing? Just some other things to do besides rolling around in grass and crawling through bushes. Normally what you've described is my idea of a dream kid outside, lol. One that doesn't need lots of expensive toys to occupy him, a child that enjoys nature etc....but apparently this just isn't a lifestyle that is healthy for him.

-Heather

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
Bugbites in those particular areas make me think it's chiggers.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/derma...6_chiggers.htm
But they're saying rash... These look like bites, like chicken pox sort of. We even took him in to get check for c.pox when he first got them. They said they get confused for c.pox though... So is it a rash or a bite?

It does sound like it, being concentrated at the waist line, etc... Hmm.

I'm putting pants on him now! Will tuck into socks!

I do have other outside things for them: jungle gym, bikes, plasma car, etc... They're little dirt boys!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldingoddess View Post
Yep I totally thought scabies by your description too. I've had them, no fun.
If this has been an ongoing problem the whole family would probably have them by now, they are SUPER contagious.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
If this has been an ongoing problem the whole family would probably have them by now, they are SUPER contagious.
Yeah, it's been a few weeks at least, and he sleeps in our bed at least three times a week and bathes with our almost-2 yo. I think by now we'd all have them and we have none at all, zippo. DS2 will get an occasional bite, as he's outside a lot too, just not rooting through bushes like big boy does.

The other day we saw him laying in a pile of dirt closely examining a roly poly and realized it was an ant hill! This wasn't my yard, so I don't think this is what's biting him now, but that's how unaware he is of bugs being on him!

My friend says there's no chiggers in S. Cal, but there are outdoor mites or something? I want to try the oils. Anyone ever try the California Baby bug repellant?

#11 ·
One of my daycare girls had what were thought to be ant bites just above her pubic area. She was initially Dx'ed with MRSA, then later the Dx was changed to chicken pox (after another dr. looked at her). MRSA is apparently only passed on when they begin to pus (which could take weeks). Hopefully it's not MRSA, but it's worth looking into.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
Bugbites in those particular areas make me think it's chiggers.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/derma...6_chiggers.htm
what you describe is exactly what happens to my poor 4YO dd every summer...chiggers. your description is almost spot on what they look like on my dd. They look horrible and itch bad, but every natural bug repellent we've tried doesn't stop them. definitely tuck in his socks, shirts, etc..see if that helps. i'm so sorry you are going through this. if it doesn't clear up then i'd consult your health provider.

#14 ·
Yeah, my first thought is chiggers. They love those tight tender spots like where underwear touches or where socks or waistbands lie. My kids get torn up by them if they go near certain areas of our yard. The bites often last a month or longer.
They do get them in long grass, cut grass (like loose dead grass), scrub, woods, etc. but don't get them in the open yard, street, etc. My daughter likes to make "nests" of cut grass and always gets torn up.
I've heard that wiping that Avon Skin-so-Soft stuff on will help but I've also heard that it does nothing but it might be worth a try.
Laura

#15 ·
I got some natural bug bands (for the wrist) and a hanging little mesh bag... they had geranium oil in it, I think it was. I wish I kept the packaging so I could tell you the name. But that might help without chemicals.

#16 ·
Those bug bands didn't work... Bummer.

So I went to Whole Foods and bought two bottles of "natural" bug killer, it seems like it's mostly orange oil. They say it's safe to use around kids and pets but I'll keep them away for a few days after spraying.

My friend here in So. Cal says her son had the same thing, it's just not called chiggers here, they say "outdoor mites" or something. SO gross!

Thanks for ALL your help. I"ll let you know if the spray seems to do anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.