Is it normal to be this tired? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basic life setup: 6 yo, 4, yo, and 3 mo. Nursing & cosleeping with baby, who has several brief awakenings at night, usually one feed, at least one diaper change. Sahm, driving the lo's to school/preschool.

Healthwise- on zoloft, have hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxin.

By 1-2pm, I am BEAT. So tired. Sometimes I can hardly function and need a nap.

My husband always comments that he can't understand why I'm this tired. Is this abnormal? I didn't think so but he's always saying this and it's making me wonder if there's something wrong with me

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#2 of 11 Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM

It might be your thyroid. Sometimes doctors don't give the high enough dose. A suggestion would be to take your body temp in the morning before you get up and if it's below 98.2 you are still hypo. Was your dose raised after you had your baby? Birth can throw it off.

A good site is Stopthethyroidmaddness.com Or something similar. Just google the part before .com and you'll find it.

Otherwise it could be allergies or just your diet. Are you eating enough protein? That's an important part with breastfeeding.

I would venture that it might be normal, but if you feel something is really off then chances are it isn't.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#3 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 01:54 AM

I just switched from my levothyroxine (on it for 15 years) to a natural thyroid replacement (as opposed to the synthetic levo...). I never really had an issue with the levo, but since my daughter was born I have had different issues. Most recently just a combined ick.... tired when I wake up, crash at 1pm, general moodiness and fog....

After 2 hours on the natural thyroid my fog lifted. Literally I could feel it lift and I haven't wanted or needed a nap in over 2 weeks.... I'm singing to the Angels!!!!!

The book I read that helped me make my decision was 'Happiness, Hormones and Health'
#4 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm always tired in the afternoons/evenings. I remember being tired as a kid...my piano teacher used to ask me if I was anemic.

I know for me part of the problem is I'm a morning person. I get up at 5:20 to go swimming and I really should go to bed earlier. But DH will make comments if I go to bed at like 9:30 (like "I never get to see you!") so then I feel like I have to stay up longer.

It could be your thyroid or you could just need more sleep. I had thyroiditis in college and there was a huge difference in how tired I was with that versus how tired I am normally. Have you had any other symptoms like gaining weight, etc?
#5 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You should check out the adrenal fatigue thread. Sounds like your cortisol levels could be low, especially in the afternoon.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your input

I've got to have my thyroid levels checked next week. I'm going to check out that book. Which supplement is it?

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 AM

visit with your GP, most definitely blood work and if that comes back a sleep study wouldn't hurt.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
Thanks for all of your input

I've got to have my thyroid levels checked next week. I'm going to check out that book. Which supplement is it?
Just know that if your adrenals are struggling & you take thyroid meds, you'll feel worse because the meds will further tax your adrenals. If you're suffering from both, the adrenals should be treated first.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Another vote for thyroid. I feel the same way ... I have a 6, 4 and 2 yr old, though ... I'm sleeping all night and still feel tired either in the morning or by noon. I'm also hypo and on synthroid ... a low dose, though.
#10 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
It could be your thyroid or you could just need more sleep. I had thyroiditis in college and there was a huge difference in how tired I was with that versus how tired I am normally. Have you had any other symptoms like gaining weight, etc?
I'm not sure, I really feel like my brain is foggy. I've gained weight but I think that is due to my diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Just know that if your adrenals are struggling & you take thyroid meds, you'll feel worse because the meds will further tax your adrenals. If you're suffering from both, the adrenals should be treated first.
This is really interesting, I'm going to look into this. I'm getting my thyroid levels drawn on Wed. Maybe I'll make a gp appt too.

Thanks everyone

#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Yeah, I don't know about that whole adrenal/thyroid meds making it worse thing. I don't actually know the functions of adrenals as they relate to the thyroid but my MD has had my thyroid levels checked and given me meds prior to adrenals. The adrenals will be tested in a few weeks... after I am on thryroid meds for a while.

As for the fog.... within 2 hours of taking natural thyroid as opposed to levothyroxine... the fog lifted. I haven't been foggy or tired in the morning and I haven't needed a nap since. I'm a happy camper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page