Why do I (and do you ever) feel crappy every morning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there have been times in my life when I wake feeling OK or good, but for ages (years) and especially recently I cannot get out of bed and feel so groggy and cranky.

I guess I might be about to answer my own question when I say:

I stay up till 12 or 1 working on the computer or occasionally watching a movie. This is the only chance I have to work (other than 5 hrs/ week with babysitter) it probably takes me half hour to one hour, occasionally longer to fall asleep.

I have my alarm set for 9 and a back up for 9:30, we all sleep late. (you'd think my body would be used to waking at this time, I've been doing it for 3+ years)

There are no windows in our bedroom, nor in the room that connects to it. weird, i know, but its great for sleeping (so one would think) and this is not something i can change in a 500sp ft apartment.

Diet - good protein, good healthy grains, should eat more veggies, power smoothie in a.m., no fruit really i'm allergic to most. drink mostly water or watered down juice, no coffee, just herbal tea. chocolate almost every day
good food based supplements. am out and active with my girls, wear the baby, walk everywhere we go. and after years of not exercising due to back pain, i now do a modest run/walk for half hour 2-3 times a week. no drinking, wine about once/month.

i am allergic, sometimes i have major allergies during the night, a little athsma. i take zyrtec everyday (unfortunately) due to something called cholinergic urticaria - i itch like mad when i get hot. i did an elimination diet for weeks when my oldest was nursing, none of my 'symptoms' ever improved.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a magic pill (i use skullcap or motherwart as needed) or something obvious I'm missing. Let me guess - I need to go to sleep at 10, wake up at 6 and do my computer work in the morning? NO NO say it ain't so!!!

Thanks wise healthy ladies!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#2 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 AM

I woke up feeling like that when I had untreated sleep apnea. Do you snore and/or breath heavily at night?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

i do not snore, but always have to breathe through my nose due to perpetual stuffiness.

#4 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM

Maybe your thyroid or adrenals need to be checked.
#5 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You should check out the new adrenal fatigue thread & click on the link to the old one. In the first couple of posts (in the old thread), there's tons of consolidated info.

Sounds like your morning cortisol is really low - and yes, staying up late will affect your adrenals. try to be in bed by 10pm at the latest.

Your diet sounds good, specifically the no caffeine part. Make sure you get a lot of good (animal) fats because your body needs the cholesterol to make all of your sex & stress hormones.
Maybe you don't do well with grains? A lot of people don't. Maybe try a week without grains, including corn & see how you feel. You'll need to plan out meals, pick a protein & veggie for each meal & throw in some fat to stay satiated.

Also, if you look up side effects of Zyrtec, a lot of people complain of moodiness, irritability & drowsiness.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 PM

I had a wretched time getting out of bed in the morning when I had lupus. And Im a morning person.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What kind of elimination diet did you go on?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSimplicity View Post
There are no windows in our bedroom, nor in the room that connects to it. weird, i know, but its great for sleeping (so one would think) and this is not something i can change in a 500sp ft apartment.
The gradual decrease in melatonin (which makes us tired) and the slow increase in seratonin (which wakes us up) is triggered by light. So while a very dark room is great for sleeping, it's not particularly good for waking up. Could you put some dim (maybe 20 watt) lamps on timers in your room to gradually increase the light in the hour before you wish to wake? Not sure it would help (natural light is best, I think) but might be worth a try.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#9 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas - we did have a 'wake up' alarm/lamp with natural spectrum lights. i did not notice a difference.

i've never felt drowsy from zyrtec, though i do from other allergy meds. i've been on it since 9/11/01 - (the source/trigger of my mysterious allergy.)

my thyroid always tests just on the ok side of nrmal, though i know there is some dispute over what normal is. also, my sister and 3 other extended family members have hypothyroid.

i think i'm going to look into the grains / adrenal possibilites.

my elimination diet was chicken/turkey/rice/veggies for weeks then adding things in.

anyone thinking candida?

#10 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 AM
2xy

I also suffer from cholinergic urticaria, but my trigger is aerobic exercise. Just being hot doesn't do it....but if I power-walk, jog, or run, I break out in hives. It's horrible.

Anyway, I also have sleep disorders. PLMD, Restless Leg Syndrome, and borderline apnea. I felt just like you describe before I was diagnosed and treated.
#11 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
i do not snore, but always have to breathe through my nose due to perpetual stuffiness.
Do you mean you have to breathe through your mouth?

I wonder if you aren't getting restful sleep because of your stuffiness and body temp. Have you tried daily neti pot (or similar, I actually like Neilmed Sinus Rinse) use to combat the stuffiness? Does your bedroom get decent ventilation without any windows? Personally I always sleep better with a little fresh air and colder room.
#12 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi 2xy - wow i've never 'met' anyone else who had c.u. mine is caused whenever my body temp rises - even if i get stressed or embarrassed, but mostly just from moving around. do you know what initially caused it? i will do more research, thanks.

I've begun to read the adrenal fatigue threads and hear a lot of similar stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I also suffer from cholinergic urticaria, but my trigger is aerobic exercise. Just being hot doesn't do it....but if I power-walk, jog, or run, I break out in hives. It's horrible.

Anyway, I also have sleep disorders. PLMD, Restless Leg Syndrome, and borderline apnea. I felt just like you describe before I was diagnosed and treated.

#13 of 15 Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 AM
2xy

Quote:
Hi 2xy - wow i've never 'met' anyone else who had c.u. mine is caused whenever my body temp rises - even if i get stressed or embarrassed, but mostly just from moving around. do you know what initially caused it?
I have no idea what caused it. It just started happening about five years ago. I was 34 at the time. I've long dealt with other autoimmune issues....I've experienced geographic tongue and angioedema of the lips off and on since I was a teenager. The tongue problem seems to be related to food sensitivities, but I've never been able to pinpoint what causes it. I had a weird case of recurrent hives a dozen years ago....never figured out why.

I don't know anyone else with C.U., either. I was in awe when I read about it online. I couldn't believe there are people out there who literally have died on the side of the road, going into anaphylactic shock just from jogging.

On days I know I'll be exercising, I take a Claritin the night before. I don't do Zyrtec because it doesn't mix well with the meds I take for the sleep issues. I'm glad I don't get hives just from getting too warm; I'm sorry for you!
#14 of 15 Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 AM

Have you ever tried a sleep study?

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#15 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM

I have candida issues and have trouble getting out of bed in the morning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page