H1N1 ramblings, add yours! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family doctor and I are almost 100% sure that I have H1N1 (they aren't testing here in St Paul anymore, at least not for mild cases like mine). And yes, I have a very healthy lifestyle, I exercise regularly (I teach Nia, a mind-body-spirit fitness practice), eat almost exclusively organic and local, relatively low stress, etc. etc. etc.

And yeah, like anamama said, this virus has LAID ME OUT. I've been sicker in my adult life (I used to have a job that was very stressful) but this is not far behind. The body aches are the worst part for me. Just feels like all my cells are bursting or something. For now, I'm taking lots of green tea, oscillococcinum (homeopathic remedy), Vitamin D & C. And ibuprofen (I am mega wimpy when it comes to pain and these body aches=== ack!). I haven't left the house in gosh, almost 5 days now...was bummed that I couldn't go vote today.

I most worry about my 13-month old daughter Thalia or my husband getting it. I haven't been quarantined (someone I know quarantined her fiance to the upper level of their house and doesn't let her kids go anywhere near him) cos our daughter is breastfed and we bed share. But my husband has taken over the bulk of the baby-care (and mama-care)! Yay for my husband!!!

I had a long talk with our family doctor about what to do re: Thalia, our daughter. I trust her instincts and advice, thankfully (I don't always take it, granted, cos sometimes I disagree). She agreed with me that it would be better to wait it out, see if Thalia develops any symptoms before possibly putting her on Tamiflu. I'm not overwhelmingly sure that I would give her Tamiflu, but I would consider it. That may make me an outlier here, but I'm cool with that! Meanwhile, she's getting doses of vitamin D and C (normally we don't do vitamins at all with her, she eats pretty damn well!!!) and echinacea.

My husband is taking vitamin C and an elderberry/echinecea combination. And Tamiflu. He was conflicted about the Tamiflu but we don't have a lot of back-up care for Thalia- my mom lives near us but she's not very reliable or sure of herself when it comes to baby-care and my brother, who also lives nearby, is a massive hypochondriac and I don't think I'll even see him for weeks!!! I love him dearly and totally trust him with Thalia but illness is a bit of a sticky issue with him! So my husband is taking the Tamiflu, somewhat reluctantly. It does seem to give him a headache- bah.

Anyway, I'm just rambling here....sorry. But it was nice to share what's going on with our family.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#92 of 102 Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM

daniturtle, there really are no easy answers with this, are there? So much to consider and, as in your situation, life must go on. So ideally, would your husband be taking Tamiflu? No, but ideally, we'd all live in whatever kind of village/co-op/extended family situation would work best for us and there would be no such thing as needing to go to work no matter what...

I have the luxury of working from home and me and dh both have lots of sick time (we work at the hospital! It's a busy time, obviously and everyone's working hard; but they sure don't want us there sick)! But I have friends who are single parents...

I hope you are all through this really soon, the Tamiflu works for your dh and your dd stays in the clear!
#93 of 102 Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
I have been in bed for the last three days, fighting off some sort of flu. It has really been exhausting on my body, and I still have a low fever (100.4. It was up over 103) and all the other symptoms (horrible cough, terrible aches, no-good headache) . I am staying home again tomorrow, because of the 24-hour rule, and all the other symptoms still being present. I can't walk far without holding onto something for support.
I eat a whole foods, organic diet. I take all the right vitamins and spend a lot of time outdoors. I don't eat fast food, or drink soft drinks, or even eat much sugar (except in my tea- and it's organic dehydrated cane juice at that!). I feel like a very healthy, vibrant mama! I am very sturdy and strong. But man, has this illness laid me out!
So, I've been eating garlic with raw honey, miso soup, broths, teas, etc. And I am still sick!! I don't know if what I have is the Dreaded Illness, but I just wanted to share that you can still get terribly ill, even if you are healthy. I have never been this sick in my adult life.

I'm sorry you've gotten hit with it, I really am, and I hope you continue to feel better every day - you're actually supporting the point, though...eating healthy and having a healthy lifestyle isn't necessarily going to prevent you from getting it, but though you were miserable for a while you are recovering...as opposed to getting complications and secondary infections and being hospitalized, etc. Getting miserably sick with a flu or cold is one thing; suffering from a threatening secondary infection/complication is another...that was the point I was trying to make above.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#94 of 102 Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am so sick of the lies and half truths spouted on the TV. The media makes me sick. I never thought it would come to this but I am canceling my cable. I can watch anything I want on the internet anyway.

Vent over.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#95 of 102 Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm having a really hard time dealing with all the h1n1 talk on facebook. It seems that everyone is posting something on their page, and then all the comments are hard to read, but I can't help myself. On some people's pages it's getting really intense with people arguing.

I also saw today that a breastfeeding counsellor I know saw a baby in the NICU who is not doing well, and the mother's OB decided after 4 days of testing etc that it was due to vaccine which the mother got at the end of pregnancy Whether it is the vaccine or the flu itself, the negative effects are scary and heartbreaking

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#96 of 102 Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM

My thoughts on H1N1 are that the massive marketing campaign surrounding this new product, the H1N1 vaccine is working perfectly. Here in Canada shortages of vaccine and high demand have people rushing out to get theirs before they are gone. It reminds of Christmas when new video game systems are released and people go to great lengths to get them. I haven't seen anyone selling their dose on Ebay yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Swine Flu -- One of the Most Massive Cover-ups in American History
Dr. Mercola And Dr. Blaylock

Includes video, which I'm still watching - thought I'd share here.
Thanks for that. I really like Dr. Mercola.
#97 of 102 Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the love and healing vibes! I am getting better- my fever is finally almost gone today. Still have slight vertigo, aches, coughing, etc.
I always think that if I take care of myself a certain way, it will magically protect me from illness. I've worked in the same elementary classroom for 2 years now, and I am learning the hard way that I will still get sick! lol
Heather, you're right, I am getting better, with no complications so far. And I do think that a healthy lifestyle and taking care of yourself makes a HUGE difference.
I am so thankful that I could just stay home and stay in bed. I am a single mama, but the children were with xh this weekend and until this evening, so I didn't have to take that chance (although I miss them terribly). I am so grateful that my wee dog was here to keep me company!

Overall, I think this swine flu thing has helped the general public understand that when you are sick, you should stay home, and that's okay. I think it is good to respect illness.
The media hasn't really upset me, because I don't watch TV and rarely listen to the radio. I skim the Sunday paper, read on MDC, look at online headlines, and that's about it. For mamas dealing with anxiety- I remember when I had pretty high anxiety when I was still with xh, listening to NPR would put me over the edge. I called my sister one day and asked her how she dealt with all the craziness and tragedy in the world knowing that she had her two lo's to care for and protect. She said that just as she chooses what her children are exposed to, she chooses for herself. If the media is getting you down, shut them out! You can get good info from mamas here, or by selectively searching out what you want to know. It may mean that you don't know that Obama got the Nobel until 3pm instead of 9am , but it's a small price to pay, IMHO.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#98 of 102 Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Swine Flu -- One of the Most Massive Cover-ups in American History
Dr. Mercola And Dr. Blaylock

Includes video, which I'm still watching - thought I'd share here.
Just watched/read this. SO interesting! Thanks for sharing.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#99 of 102 Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I'm having a really hard time dealing with all the h1n1 talk on facebook. It seems that everyone is posting something on their page, and then all the comments are hard to read, but I can't help myself. On some people's pages it's getting really intense with people arguing.

I also saw today that a breastfeeding counsellor I know saw a baby in the NICU who is not doing well, and the mother's OB decided after 4 days of testing etc that it was due to vaccine which the mother got at the end of pregnancy Whether it is the vaccine or the flu itself, the negative effects are scary and heartbreaking
This is so scary, I hope for all these babies and families that we don't see widespread issues from the vaccine.
#100 of 102 Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM

I am sick of getting exposed to this flu and of worrying my loved ones will suffer as a result of it.... Just yesterday a sick student showed up in my class, breathed on all of us and then emailed me she is off to the hospital. Argh. DH's boss showed up at a meeting yesterday with the flu (his wife was in the hospital with the swine flu)... Remembering how my generally healthy kids were in bed moaning in pain makes me shudder.
I want this pandemic over, and I cannot wait for the winter/cold weather to go away....
#101 of 102 Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Like I said, fearmongering and hype. Ohh and a healthy profit for the drug cos! Sorry if you have an anxiety disorder, but people with anxiety disorders get stressed over everything. This just wasn't a thing to stress over.
#102 of 102 Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM

For the most part I have been really trying to be extra preventative for H1N1. Last year my whole family was pretty sick with just the regular flu around April. This year I am just trying to avoid that situation completely.

I use hand sanitizers and have my kids use them, and clean everything almost in excess. My job actually picked up a flu related campaign for Triaminic and I have been using their Cold and Flu tracker to just get an idea on sickness trends in my area, and I have to say that's helped.

Gl ladies with this season!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page