H1N1 ramblings, add yours! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Women's Health > H1N1 ramblings, add yours!
GearGirl's Avatar GearGirl 04:39 PM 10-30-2009
Mods - this isn't a health and healing thread, this really is a Talk Amongst Ourselves because it's really about our thoughts, things we think at this point, etc. so I hope this is in the right place!

So I think I have H1N1, and I have to say it is pretty mild. Mild enough that I probably spread it days one and two. I felt like I was maybe coming down with something, but I still felt OK so I did a few normal things , shopped at Whole Foods, went to the park... Then it definitely looked like a little more than a cold with body chills, cough that won't let up, so the lightbulb went off. But still, not as bad as any flu I remember, not at all. So, I researched the heck out of it to see if I have H1N1 because for the question of immunity and the vaccine it seems like an important thing to know. What I found out was that many, many people (confirmed cases) are very, very mild. This seems to me like one of the reasons why it seems so contagious, because people don't even realize they are sick and go about their business. The main thing I've noticed from reading about it is that the cough is bad, can settle in your chest, and then become dangerous for some. This makes sense when you hear the at risk groups of immune compromised, pregnant, elderly, and small children.

After my research (very admittedly non medical or scientific) I'm not worried about H1N1 and my family, my main thing would be to watch closely for what might linger and treat it if and when the need arises. As far as the fine one day, not the next, that the media is throwing all over the place, I think that can partly be understood by how mild this truly can be. I think people go about their business because they aren't feeling to bad, and then suddenly it hits them that they have been sick or they are hit with a secondary infection, not that the illness itself had such a rapid onset. I think some of the more severe cases out there are a slightly different strain, and not the main one going around.

Obviously these are just my thoughts, but there is so much fear out there, I guess hearing others thoughts and experiences is helpful to me, and hopefully mine will be helpful. And no, I'm not a DR, a scientist, or anything like that. I do have a law degree and love to over research and read between the lines on govt. sites, so take it for what it's worth!.

Mama~Love 04:41 PM 10-30-2009
I'm just so sick of hearing about it!
busymama77's Avatar busymama77 04:46 PM 10-30-2009
I'm trying to take the right steps in preventing from getting it - like getting the shot - and I become bombarded with factoids of why I shouldn't get it and so on on MDC. My doctor advises me to do so and that doctor is my OB. I'm almost 23 weeks along. I don't think she would advise me to get such a thing if there was the slighest hint of it affecting my unborn child!!!

I'm just confused all around. Things like this make me not want to post new threads. I was just trying to be helpful in advising those that lived in my area about the free shots for pregnant women only - one time deal - tomorrow.

Now, I just wish they had something available for my H and DS!
GearGirl's Avatar GearGirl 04:50 PM 10-30-2009
I saw your thread on that, the vaccine is a hard one, the vaccine thread has some good info, check it out!
Purple Sage's Avatar Purple Sage 04:56 PM 10-30-2009
A lot of kids at dd2's school have come down with it, so I'm kind of expecting for it to make the rounds in our house, too. I'm not worried about it, though.
~Charlie's~Angel~'s Avatar ~Charlie's~Angel~ 04:58 PM 10-30-2009
All I am going to say is your doctor is not INTENTIONALLY trying to harm you OR your unborn child. Your doctor was TRAINED to think that vaccines are 100% safe, effective, and necessary to survive in this world.
JamesMama's Avatar JamesMama 05:01 PM 10-30-2009
Ummm I think it's silly and I'm sick of hearing about it. We go through this EVERY SINGLE YEAR with some new freaky virus. SARS, Bird Flu...now we have H1N1...sillyness IMO.

Are we taking above normal precautions? Yes, but we would even if H1N1 wasn't in the news because of DH's health (he just had a kidney transplant in late July) but beyond that no. And we're not even getting the vax here (yes I'm 31 wks pregnant, not doing it). DH talked it over with transplant and since he doesn't have an immune system anyway he can't very well make an immune response to any vaccine.

We'll be washing our hand frequently, if DH has a need to go into a busy, crowded store he might wear his mask (it's not those cheapie paper ones, it's a special one to keep illness out). Other than that the very very very little Christmas shopping we manage to do will be done locally by me (I don't like to drive in the city) or done on-line.

DH was an EMT and a Vehicle Extrication Tech and he says that around the US someone dies every 15 minutes (roughly) in a car accident yet we still drive everywhere.
GearGirl's Avatar GearGirl 05:03 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
All I am going to say is your doctor is not INTENTIONALLY trying to harm you OR your unborn child. Your doctor was TRAINED to think that vaccines are 100% safe, effective, and necessary to survive in this world.
And just to add to this a little from a liability standpoint, if the DR tells you to take the vaccine and later there is harm, pretty much not on the DR. If the DR tells you not to take it and you do come down with a rare but serious complication from H1N1, the DR is pretty much liable for that. Which position would most Drs take? I'm thinking to give the vaccine.
GearGirl's Avatar GearGirl 05:05 PM 10-30-2009
Actually the whole swine flu thing has increased my car accident worry since I keep reading that statistic!
~Charlie's~Angel~'s Avatar ~Charlie's~Angel~ 05:11 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Ummm I think it's silly and I'm sick of hearing about it. We go through this EVERY SINGLE YEAR with some new freaky virus. SARS, Bird Flu...now we have H1N1...sillyness IMO.
Don't forget West Nile!
Monarchgrrl's Avatar Monarchgrrl 05:12 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
ITA. I've never had the flu before. Ever. Never had, never will get a flu shot. I've had colds, that's it. I just don't see what the big deal is? It's mild. A few people die. People die from the flu every year. It just shocks me how willing so many people are to get flu shots.
~Katie~'s Avatar ~Katie~ 05:31 PM 10-30-2009
I've never had a flu shot, haven't had most vaccines in general, and I haven't had the flu in over 15 years. We all got what appeared to be a cold a few weeks ago, slight cough and runny noses, a bit of a fever for the young'uns. I'm not sure if that's what it was or not. The only thing that concerns me is that the baby was the sickest of all of us and for much longer. I'm trying to take precautions as far as keeping her from catching anything else that could be worse. We're thinking about flying at Christmas time and I might actually drive the 10 hours by myself instead.
JamesMama's Avatar JamesMama 05:40 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
ITA. I've never had the flu before. Ever. Never had, never will get a flu shot. I've had colds, that's it. I just don't see what the big deal is? It's mild. A few people die. People die from the flu every year. It just shocks me how willing so many people are to get flu shots.
People die from all sorts of illnesses every single year. 4000 people die from strep throat every year. People die from colds...heck I bet someone somewhere has literally died from an ingrown toenail (infection? Sepsis?).

Oh and of course MRSA was all over the news for a while.

With my hubby's health I'm worried about every single illness you can think of (Flu, strep, cold, stomach virus) but I'm not going to let it run my life.
MadiMamacita's Avatar MadiMamacita 05:41 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post

Yes, that.
I think I saw that thread, too, and even posted to it. I don't think anyone was trying to bombard you with factiods, just spread the word that the vax might not be as great and necesarry as md's would have us all believe.

I have been seeing lots and lots of youtube videos (and have reposted some on my facebook) about people intimately connected with the vaccine (sales, development, and drs) who won't get one for themselves.. makes you wonder..

I'm starting to wonder if we all had it at my house in July. We very rarely get sick, and I never get a flu shot. We stayed home for the most part because we felt like crapolla. if thats what we had, we contracted it either on a flight from MN or during our vist there. It was weird because I've never gotten sick like THAT in the summer!
We all had chills, body aches, fever, terrible hacking coughs, (my dad's turned into bronchitis), etc. (the baby was the least sick of all of us..) I can't remember any stomach issues though. we did not go to a doctor.
is there an h1n1 titier test??
dawningmama's Avatar dawningmama 05:57 PM 10-30-2009
Moved over to Health and Healing since it is, after all, a thread about an illness.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 06:26 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post

I'm just confused all around. Things like this make me not want to post new threads. I was just trying to be helpful in advising those that lived in my area about the free shots for pregnant women only - one time deal - tomorrow....
I am not getting the shot - but I work at a library and have been distributing info if asked on where to get the shot in my area. People can make up their own minds, yk?

You are doing a good thing to let people in your area know it is free tomorrow if they want it. There is nothing wrong with giving out info as long as you do not push an agenda.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 06:42 PM 10-30-2009
What do I think of H1N1?

I am a little scared. I live in Ontario - there has been 3 youth who have died and that freaks me out. My youngest is prone to respiratory infections.

I am also angry. I am angry that I cannot find real data to help me make a decision - such as how many young people typically die of the flu in Ontario in a year.

I am floored that some people are standing in line for hours with 8000 of their closest friends for a flu shot! I wonder if they know (and suspect they don't) that the vaccines takes 10 days to take effect, but the time it takes for the flu to develop is only about 4 days.

I am livid for Americans who's schools are using flu mist fFom what I understand, flu mist will cause the school to be unsafe for up to 2 weeks. So families are put in a very hard place - 2 weeks of school is a lot for some families to miss (and some states have "unexcused abscenses" policies). Sigh.

On the plus side: People are becoming increasingly intolerant of people going out in public when sick, and increasingly tolerant of missing work for illness. Yeah! Ontario even has a new rule that people do not need a sick note to miss work - as they do not want them coming to work sick because they cannot get a sick note, they do not want them wasting doctors time, they do not want them infecting others in doctors offices. I hope this rule stays after H1N1 is over.

Finally, I know a number of people who usually vax who are leery of this vax. Hopefully it will cause them to look more closely at vaxing in general.
Karamom 07:04 PM 10-30-2009
I am sick of everyone being so scared. It's a mild flu and sure there is a small chance of complications but its the same with any illness.

The other day I saw someone walking around town with a surgical mask on
Doodlebugsmom's Avatar Doodlebugsmom 08:16 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

The other day I saw someone walking around town with a surgical mask on
So did I, but he was headed for the pharmacy. I assumed he had been diagnosed and demanded Tamiflu. I would assume that most people with a mask have an underlying condition that makes this a riskier illness for them, or they've been diagnosed and don't want to risk spreading it.

I have H1N1 right now (self-diagnosed). It isn't too bad, but I sure don't feel like doing anything other than laying in bed watching tv and surfing the web. I've never had the flu before this (or a flu vaccine), and it is much worse than your average cold.
Chakra's Avatar Chakra 08:49 PM 10-30-2009
According to the CDC the H1N1 has already peaked and is now seeing less cases. This time last year, no one was freaking like like this. It's so annoying.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 08:59 PM 10-30-2009
I am a little tired of people on MDC saying they are sick of everyone being so scared.

I am glad many of you are zen about it - but some of us aren't and a little compassion for peoples fears would be nice.
sunshadow's Avatar sunshadow 09:06 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
According to the CDC the H1N1 has already peaked and is now seeing less cases. This time last year, no one was freaking like like this. It's so annoying.
I am happy to hear it's peaked already. The season flu doesn't peak until Jan or Feb usually and no one freaks usually because we are use to the seasonal flu. Though even in the past I had a doctor who told me I was going to kill my baby if I didn't get the flu vaccine.

Actually I am kind of tired of people dismissing it out of hand because it is different than other viruses and since I am pregnant and have a history of pneumonia it does frighten me. I just don't understand why people don't think about those that are at a higher risk. I feel like I am having to justify why I take precautions to avoid getting sick to people who think I am just being paranoid because they keep hearing from other people that it's not a big deal. At least I can do what I can do to avoid it and try not to care if someone thinks I am worrying over nothing.
carfreemama's Avatar carfreemama 09:15 PM 10-30-2009
I have an anxiety disorder and OCD. This virus and all the hype absolutely SUCK for people like me. It's hard enough in general for me to sort out what is anxiety and what is legitimate concern whenever one of our family gets sick. Now it's almost impossible.

I may indeed make a decision out of fear on this one. I may get me and dd vaxed. It may be the only way I will be able to survive the winter with her in school. This is in spite of the fact that we have done almost no vaccinations before and never a flu shot for any of us, ever. There is only so much uncertainty I can stand. If I don't get the vax for her and she gets a horrible case of H1N1, I will no doubt kick myself for not having "done everything I could." If she gets the vax and ends up with a horrible reaction, I will kick myself for acting out of fear and endangering her over a virus she would almost certainly have recovered fully from. But I will forgive myself if we get vaxed, especially because dh wants to do it. We will probably survive either way.

I am trying, really trying, to see this as exposure therapy and a chance to heal more fully from my own real health threat; which is clearly my mental illness. But holy cow. I would have loved a few more baby steps before this.
SandyMom's Avatar SandyMom 09:16 PM 10-30-2009
Dr. Mercola put up a website dedicated to h1n1 info..
Amberenergy's Avatar Amberenergy 09:21 PM 10-30-2009
i for one am completely tired of all the fearmongering and hype. I'm sorry if you are prone to fear; that's tough. But there are so many things to worry about and fear. i mean I live near the yellowstone volcano and that could go at any time, right...I think the fear bothers me alot because I think people are manipulated by fear and become victims.
In any case, we had it late last spring...we've had one cold so far this year. I also think people love to bond over worrying, which I just don't do. I am focused on all the great stuff in my life and thankful to be living in a place where for example, I don't have to worry about my kids or husband being killed or me being raped and I have food on the table. Let's get some perspective and start to focus our energy and time on things that really matter! go volunteer at your local food bank (we do) to get some perspective and gratitude. Spend a moment chatting with someone and connecting...and you'll stop worrying. Have a good talk with your kids, mom, friend. Look at a tree. Stop wasting energy on stuff you have no control over for goodness sake.
I feel everything we do in our life and our perceptions is our choice; I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks but i started to change and they went away. I did it myself, I'm not a victim and i will never be.
paxye's Avatar paxye 09:29 PM 10-30-2009
I am tired of the hype...

The media, govn't and medical establishment have been blowing this out of proportion... everyone is panicking and it is tiring...

Even yesterday the two large children's hospitals in Montreal came out asking parents to treat mild symptoms at home instead of heading to the hospital... and then reminded parents "that the H1N1 influenza is a relatively mild form of the flu and is very similar in severity to the annual flu virus. The only difference is that flu season has started earlier and more people are being infected."

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../29/c3839.html

You would never guess this from the media hype though and the coverage it is getting...
carfreemama's Avatar carfreemama 09:30 PM 10-30-2009
Amberenergy, I wish it were that easy! No offense, but that's a lot like telling someone with clinical depression to "just cheer up." I KNOW how lucky I am to live where I do, with the privileges I have. I KNOW we are a billion times safer than most people in the world who face unimaginable things. This only adds to my guilt for being afraid. Believe me, I already volunteer in my community and appreciate the good things in my life. But this is still a big struggle. If I could "just stop worrying," I would.

I am hoping I can use this whole H1N1 as a vehicle for deeper healing and facing my fears, such as they are. That's the best I can do with staying positive. I don't find worry "bonding." I find it extremely isolating and aeleinating. When all this has played itself out, I hope we are all able to take a look back and learn some lessons. But I think those lessons will be different for each of us. So those are my "ramblings."
Doodlebugsmom's Avatar Doodlebugsmom 09:32 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
According to the CDC the H1N1 has already peaked and is now seeing less cases.
I can't find this information anywhere. All I can find is that the CDC says H1N1 is widespread in 46 states. When the seasonal flu is widespread in 46 states, it is said to be at it's peak. I can't find anything that says H1N1 has definitively peaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberenergy View Post
Spend a moment chatting with someone and connecting...and you'll stop worrying. Have a good talk with your kids, mom, friend. Look at a tree. Stop wasting energy on stuff you have no control over for goodness sake.
Really??? That's quite insulting to a person with a legitimate anxiety disorder. My bff has an anxiety disorder, and I'm very sensitive to people thinking you can essentially "cure" it by what you recommended.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 09:41 PM 10-30-2009
Fearmongerring and hype.....hmmm.

Maybe you know something I don't.

I have tried to get numbers to quantify the risk - and I have failed. I do not know whether this flu is more dangerous to youth and healthy people than in previous years, and if so - by how much...and quite frankly I doubt anyone here does either! H1N1 is new, the media has a particular slant - and getting real data to compare is difficult.

I assume most people on MDC are helpful and supportive and have good intent.

I think it is always a good idea to meet people where they are. Dialogue about it. Ask someone about their fears, ask them what they know or believe about Swine and vaxing, suggesting alternate paths or that they delay vaxing until they have researched as much as they can. This is far more helpful than saying "I am sick of people being so fearful" - which is, frankly, dismisive...even if you think it is true
GearGirl's Avatar GearGirl 09:44 PM 10-30-2009
It makes complete sense to me that people are freaked out about this, that really seems to be the message coming out, and who knows when one day the message will actually be right. I was sooo freaked out about SARS (I think it was SARS), because I had a 4 month old baby when flu season went into full swing.

Unfortunately, I do think the fear is overblown, and it's just hurting those of us who are trying to do what is best for ourselves and our loved ones.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up