My hubby is sick......UPDATE #20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Background. My DH is generally pretty healthy. Gets the odd headache. Five years ago he was hospitalized for a week because he had a really high fever and severe backpain. Turns out he had compessed vertebrae (?). He gets quite a few colds in the winter and gets a couple of flu's a year.

Last night he left for work at 4:30, felt ok. He text messaged me at 6:30 saying he felt horrible. Felt really really really hot, had a splitting headache, and that he had the chills. I kept a package of homeopathic flu stuff in his lunchbox just in case cause H1N1 is going around here. So he took the first dose then, and then 2nd dose 6 hours after, 3rd dose when he got home this morning. So I never got any other text messages from him after his 6:30 one, so I thought all was well. He does have a cough, but he's a smoker and he always has a lingering cough.

This morning at 6:00 am, I get a knock on the door and I thought WTF. I peek out the window and it's DH. I open the door and he's white as a ghost, and moaning and groaning. He said he felt ok driving home (20 min drive) but as soon as he got out of his truck he got SUPER dizzy, stumbled around, and fell backwards and hit his head on the driveway. He took off his clothes, flopped into bed, and asked me to get him some motrin. He'll sleep till this afternoon, and I'm supposed to be bringing my kids to see my parents, but I'm kind of afraid to leave him.

Does this sound like a normal flu or H1N1 or something else??
#2 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 PM

Sounds like it could be H1N1 for sure. I started feeling like I had something coming on last Monday. Chest congestion, achy, chilly. I was popping Motrin like crazy (took more in 3 days than I had in the last 3 years), and I'm so not a mainstream medicine. Well, Thursday afternoon I had just finished a big pot of lentil and veggie soup (thank goodness!), when I started to physically fall apart. I had awful diarrhea all day. I could barely stand up. I had a fever over 101 degrees. It was awful. So, I got in bed and was there until this morning. So, I had two days of really not being able to get up, and three days before that of not feeling too good. Sounds a lot like what your dh is going through. I'm convinced that all the elderberry elixir and raw garlic I was taking made my experience a fairly mild one.
#3 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:23 PM

I'm wondering about a heart attack, myself.
#4 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
I'm wondering about a heart attack, myself.
He's 26. No family history of heart attack.
#5 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

OH, I forgot to mention ONE thing that might be REALLY important. DH used to drink 2 larger bottles of pepsi a day (equal to 4 cans). He decided enough was enough, and had his last bottle of pepsi on Thursday evening.

I thought maybe the dizziness and headache might be from the lack of caffeine in his body.....but that doesn't explain the fever.
#6 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM

Sounds ALOT like how h1n1 presents in some people.
Especially with the fever, headache, dizziness.

I would treat as such I think.
Thinks that were helpful for us:
Vit D (50,000 the first day)
Garlic (crushed clove minced finely and chugged in a bit of water 3 x's daily)
Olive leaf

More ideas:
Natural Treatments For Swine Flu

If he gets nauseous homeopathic nux vomica worked for us.

Hope he feels better soon.
#7 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 PM

The splitting headache is exactly how my flu started. That definitely gets my vote. I had to keep on top of the remedies because if I slacked at all it all came right back. And, FWIW change in position was awful so I totally get the going from sitting to standing rocking his world. IF the remedy you were using (influenzinum, yes?) was working, I'd go back to it. I'd also give arnica for the fall and certainly increase D.
#8 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
The splitting headache is exactly how my flu started. That definitely gets my vote. I had to keep on top of the remedies because if I slacked at all it all came right back. And, FWIW change in position was awful so I totally get the going from sitting to standing rocking his world. IF the remedy you were using (influenzinum, yes?) was working, I'd go back to it. I'd also give arnica for the fall and certainly increase D.
Nope, I gave him Oscillococcinum. How many iU's of vitamin D. Right now I have him on a small dose (pre-flu) of 2,000. Should I go up to 50,000? Also, how much vitamin C and how much fish oils?
#9 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 01:07 PM

Ah. I thought I recalled you were going to use Influenzinum. Oscillo is what I used too. Worked really well. I was on it for several days and just took it when symptoms returned.

I did 5,000 IU's of vitamin D daily, but only because I was running out and it was backordered in my recent shipment. I would have done more like 10,000 a day had I been able.

I did 2 grams of C three times a day-and would have done more, but I wasn't thirsty at all.

No fish oil here.
#10 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM

I just want to echo the thought about the change in position being really bad. I've been in bed pretty much for a week. I haven't felt super bad for the last couple of days but once I get out of bed I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck all over again.

Take care of yourself and the kids because, no doubt, you will come down with it shortly.

Martha
#11 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 01:29 PM

I dunno. I treated everyone in the house prophylactically when I got it and noone else did. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but the oscillo worked really well for us. I also had the run down by a truck feeling and that was helped with eupatorium. Oscillo took care of everything but that.
#12 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
I just want to echo the thought about the change in position being really bad. I've been in bed pretty much for a week. I haven't felt super bad for the last couple of days but once I get out of bed I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck all over again.
Same thing here.
#13 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Well, whatever else is going on bug-wise, caffeine withdrawal is not helping his symptoms.

His body was used to *alot* of caffeine every day. Cutting out that amount cold turkey is pretty much guaranteed to make you feel deathly.

If he's still feeling crappy when he wakes up, 600mg motrin + 12 oz caffeinated beverage of choice will help (the caffeine acts synergistically with the motrin to boost its analgesic properties, and it'll help the withdrawal too.
#14 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Ah. I thought I recalled you were going to use Influenzinum. Oscillo is what I used too. Worked really well. I was on it for several days and just took it when symptoms returned.

I did 5,000 IU's of vitamin D daily, but only because I was running out and it was backordered in my recent shipment. I would have done more like 10,000 a day had I been able.

I did 2 grams of C three times a day-and would have done more, but I wasn't thirsty at all.

No fish oil here.
Yeah, my friends stock of influenzinum hasn't came in yet and everywhere else is sold out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
Take care of yourself and the kids because, no doubt, you will come down with it shortly.
Yeah, I'm anticipating it, so I stocked up on some kids oscillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael View Post
Well, whatever else is going on bug-wise, caffeine withdrawal is not helping his symptoms.

His body was used to *alot* of caffeine every day. Cutting out that amount cold turkey is pretty much guaranteed to make you feel deathly.

If he's still feeling crappy when he wakes up, 600mg motrin + 12 oz caffeinated beverage of choice will help (the caffeine acts synergistically with the motrin to boost its analgesic properties, and it'll help the withdrawal too.
He's coughing a lot and burning lungs. His pillow is drenched in sweat, and he **** has a fever. My kids are cranky, so as soon as he is awake enough to be able to listen for them I'm going to run and get him a pepsi. He doesn't need to deal with a flu AND caffeine withdrawl.
#15 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
He doesn't need to deal with a flu AND caffeine withdrawl.
No doubt. As bad as I felt Thursday and yesterday, I made myself drink my usual two cups of coffee. I didn't need anything to make my head feel any worse. That's for sure.
#16 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

He's gone to the hospital. He has a massive headache, coughing, and just feels like hell. I'm a bit afraid as to what they'll try to perscribe him....but we'll see.

So earlier when I went out with the kids to go see my parents, DH's keys were laying UNDER his truck as well as his coffee cup. When DH woke up I asked him exactly what happened. He said when he got home, he stood up, and went to the back door of his truck and said he couldn't even lift his lunch bag, he was so weak. All of the sudden his ears started ringing and he couldn't hear. Then his eyes started going fuzzy, and he was stumbling but he had no idea where he was stumbling too because he couldn't see or hear. Then he fell against his truck and down onto the ground. He isn't sure how long he was laying there, but he said it took all his strength to get up, and then he stumbled to the front door and pulled himself up the stairs. This really scared him.
#17 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
He's 26. No family history of heart attack.
But he smokes, right? That always ups the odds of a heart attack (but this does sound like it's probably H1N1.) Hope he feels better soon!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
He's gone to the hospital. He has a massive headache, coughing, and just feels like hell. I'm a bit afraid as to what they'll try to perscribe him....but we'll see.
Please keep us updated. It sounds quite severe. Hopefully they'll give him IV fluids and that will help. If they determine that it's an influenza virus, they could prescribe Tamiflu since it's been less than 48 hours since onset of illness. I'd have qualms about taking it myself, but if this is flu and it is affecting him so severely, I certainly wouldn't pass any judgments on medication decisions. FWIW, I've known a total of 3 adults and 3 children who took Tamiflu very soon after onset of symptoms, and they recovered within a day or two.
#19 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
But he smokes, right? That always ups the odds of a heart attack (but this does sound like it's probably H1N1.) Hope he feels better soon!
He smokes about 1/2 cigar a day....which I know is probably quite a bit when you figure out how many cigarettes that's equivalent to.
#20 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

So he just called me and the doctor says they've had huge amounts of positive H1N1 results, so they aren't swabbing anymore, so he's 99.9% sure he has H1N1. He also has a concussion. His one pupil doesn't even react. It just stays big.
#21 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM

poor guy! Healing vibes his way. I actually didn't take any oscillo today thinking it was over and, well....it's not. However once I took it it did work like a charm. I just gotta make sure I have it on me at all times. Yeesh. This thing is not awesome.
#22 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
So he just called me and the doctor says they've had huge amounts of positive H1N1 results, so they aren't swabbing anymore, so he's 99.9% sure he has H1N1. He also has a concussion. His one pupil doesn't even react. It just stays big.
Oh no! I just read this thread now for the first time, and in the first post where you said he fell over backwards in the driveway and hit his head I was thinking that it might be a good idea to see if he has a concussion. I am so glad he went in.

(((HUGS))). I hope he heals quickly, both from the flu and his injury. Please keep us updated.
#23 of 24 Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM

I've been thinking about you. How is your hubby?
#24 of 24 Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM

Your poor dh! Hope he is on the mend and you all stay healthy.

so many roads to ease my soul...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page