Question about vitamins, esp. iron - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2002, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wondering what others have found works for them in regards to a vitamin regime? I am six months postpartum and have been so far really good at keeping up with taking a multi, calcium supp and a B12 liver extract (for iron).....

the problem is that i no longer can afford to go to the naturopath i used to go to (since our wonderful liberal government here in BC has been cutting our health care services all over the board) I used to get most of my vitamins from the naturopath...but now i will have to decide on my own what brand to get and buy them at the local vitamin shop instead.....

so just wondering if anyone here has any recommendations? Especially for an iron supplement of some kind since i am breastfeeding and am concerned about my iron levels.

thanks!

MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2002, 08:51 AM

I compare prices and either get my vitamins from a local health food co-op or from Puritan's Pride online, when they have their 3 for one sale. I don't know if they sell in Canada or not.

For iron, I've seen Floradix recommended a lot, but have never tried it. It's very expensive compared to regular tablets, but it's supposed to be very gentle and highly absorbable. I think I'll get it for this next postpartum time period, because the iron supplements that I took first time around irritated my son's system.

Have you done a search for vitamins in this forum? Different brands are discussed every so often. I prefer to research the actual mineral or vitamin and then go with the least expensive source that doesn't use all of the additives.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:14 AM

Ditto the Floradix!
Old 04-29-2002, 04:27 PM

I use Now Ecogreen multivitamin (multivitamin w/ green superfoods)... as for iron I think it is best if derived through diet...
I used to be anemic and since I made dietary changes I have great iron levels.

Suggestions:
*Dried apricots
*Dried Prunes
*Millet
*Barley Grass powder
*Blue-green algae
*cook in a cast-iron pan
*beets and beet juice powder capsules

For calcium:
*nettle tea
*alfalfa
*sesame seeds (tahini)
*almonds
8fortified rice and soy milk
Old 05-01-2002, 11:51 PM

I take seasilver. I really like it. Please check out the website in my sig if you are interesting in more info. It works great for a prenatal too. It is organic and all natural.

User Tag List