If you tested your Vit D levels...... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now I read somewhere that you can't bath with in 24-36 hous of sun exposure or your body could not absorb the vitamin d, has anyone else heard this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
No supplements, unless you count the 400 IUs in my prenatal. I was 38 weeks pregnant at the time and eating a ton of dairy, cottage cheese, etc. because I was trying to follow a more GD-based diet (didn't have GD though). I was trying to do a lot of non-sunscreen outside time but I am really pale. Perhaps I just need less sun?

I don't know any of the details of the test, just that my midwives gave the result to my primary care doctor and they called me and told me it was too high and to retest in 6 weeks (which I did 2 days ago).

My kid's ped thinks it's a fantastic number though, lol.

eta: thanks for the reassurance on toxicity. I thought anything over 100 was toxic but I read that online somewhere and have no idea about the reliability. I feel absolutely fine, though! Best part is I avoided PPD though I had it last time and I have a much screamier baby this go round.
Just curious -- have you ever had symptoms of sarcoidosis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoidosis

Vitamin D is a critical factor in many auto-immune illnesses. Deficiency is typical in such diseases (like with MS, which I have) but some people can have too much due to systemic dysregulation of Vitamin D. Off of the top of my head, the only auto-immune condition I'm aware of that is associated with high levels is sarcoidosis (but there may be others.) In any case, if my level was that high without supplementing, I'd get further bloodwork done, particularly calcium and parathyroid levels. I'd also have a conversation with someone about the possibility of auto-immune dysfunction/disease and keep that possibility in the back of my head. Sarcoidosis, like other autoimmune illnesses can be rather vague in some people.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Just curious -- have you ever had symptoms of sarcoidosis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoidosis

Vitamin D is a critical factor in many auto-immune illnesses. Deficiency is typical in such diseases (like with MS, which I have) but some people can have too much due to systemic dysregulation of Vitamin D. Off of the top of my head, the only auto-immune condition I'm aware of that is associated with high levels is sarcoidosis (but there may be others.) In any case, if my level was that high without supplementing, I'd get further bloodwork done, particularly calcium and parathyroid levels. I'd also have a conversation with someone about the possibility of auto-immune dysfunction/disease and keep that possibility in the back of my head. Sarcoidosis, like other autoimmune illnesses can be rather vague in some people.
Nope. That was not a very reassuring link, though.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
49 last April...had been taking 2000iu/day. I have upped it to 5000. My 18mo old is taking 2000/day.

I am signing us both up for the Vit D study where we will have the ZRT test done every 6 months.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM

I was supplementing with 4,000 IU/day then had my D tested a month ago - came back at 77. My doc of course said it's slightly elevated, but I was very glad it was up there.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Nope. That was not a very reassuring link, though.
I didn't mean to scare you; I would just keep it in the back of my head. You might just be lucky and synthesize it well from the sunlight. Who knows - maybe people with naturally high vitamin D levels are the ones who live to be 120.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 PM

I would never have know anything at all was wrong if I hadn't decided to get the test done to see if I was low.

Something is probably wrong, though. Realistically speaking, that is a high number and I really have no explanation for it. I am prone to forming kidney stones too....lots of people in my family are. It's been about 7 years since I had one.

Just what I need with a new baby screaming in my ear all day. I wonder if all the tests they recommend for this stuff (chest X-rays, etc.) will require me stop BFing.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pandme, if you haven't already gotten your blood calcium tested, I'd do that. sbgrace will probably be back to this thread, but if not, you can search her old posts for parathyroid, I think it's involved in calcium regulation and I'd think vitamin D would be involved there (sbgrace says serum calcium shouldn't be >10--she has good links, obviously I just follow along ). It _is_ odd to have it so high, I'd want to keep looking to figure out a reason.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM

yeah, I suppose once these results come back in a week or so, they'll tell me what further tests to have. Hypercalcemia was mentioned to me, so I'm sure they will want to test calcium levels.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
49 last April...had been taking 2000iu/day. I have upped it to 5000. My 18mo old is taking 2000/day.

I am signing us both up for the Vit D study where we will have the ZRT test done every 6 months.
Do you have more information on this study?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
Now I read somewhere that you can't bath with in 24-36 hous of sun exposure or your body could not absorb the vitamin d, has anyone else heard this?
yes - Dr Mercola has a 1 hour video on his site about vit d. in it he says 1-2 hours but then added a video update saying the most recent science says more like 48 hours.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
yeah, I suppose once these results come back in a week or so, they'll tell me what further tests to have. Hypercalcemia was mentioned to me, so I'm sure they will want to test calcium levels.
I am wondering what they measured. Can you call and see if they measured 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D? That's a hormone and fluctuates and isn't an accurate picture of vitamin D.

I do think something is up if that test was 25 (OH) D and was accurate. You shouldn't have that level regardless of sun exposure with what little you were taking in.

It's important to know that high calcium is 10 or above, no matter what the lab slip says. And parathyroid disease is consistent with kidney stones and does affect vitamin D levels. However, it causes low levels as the body tries to suppress calcium. I suspect they mentioned hypercalcemia as a possible result of what they think might be toxic levels of vitamin D and not that they were searching for a cause. But they do need to find the cause. And as someone else mentioned Scleroderma is the only thing I know of that causes high levels. There may well be other things. But I wanted to mention that sometimes Scleroderma is asymptomatic. Keep your head while you go forward but do get an answer if that test comes back high again and make sure it's the right test.

I think everyone with kidney stones should probably have blood calcium checked to make sure the kidney stones aren't caused by Parathyroid disease.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
I'm sure they will test your calcium & parathyroid levels and likely for some non-specific auto-immune and inflammatory markers (they looked at these sort of things when I was being evaluated for MS.)

Vitamin D enhances the absorption of calcium so if you have too much, you tend to get too much calcium too (kidney stones is just one thing that can happen as a result.) When Vitamin D is high, your parathyroid hormone drops to try and lower calcium levels but can only compensate so much if there is something else going on systemically. I hope the test results turn out ok! Keep us posted.

I'm not sure what all they will do (probably a lot of blood work to start) but a chest x-ray, at least, shouldn't interfere with breastfeeding.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
And as someone else mentioned Scleroderma is the only thing I know of that causes high levels. There may well be other things. But I wanted to mention that sometimes Scleroderma is asymptomatic.
Did you mean to say Sarcoidosis? Scleroderma is also an auto-immune disorder but I think it may be connected to low Vitamin D, not high.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

Well from what you all are saying and what I'm reading, it pretty much has to be sarcoidosis. But let's take things even further. I guess it could be TB. Or cancer. Awesome.

Hey, maybe I'll be lucky and won't be one of the 5-10% fatalities. Look how well that worked out for Bernie Mac.

User Tag List