How long would you let child dry heave/throw up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4...almost 5 y/o has been vomitting all day today. He can not keep anything down. I've tried just about everything...teaspoon of water...teaspoon of chamomile tea....let him nurse..waited 20-40 min between each....and with in a matter of half that time...he throws it up again. Now he's throwing up mucus....I just dont know what else to do? He is lifeless...can barely sit up...I keep saying...if its not better by the morning...then i can take him in. My little guy keeps saying "mama take me to the chiropractor"...bless his heart! Is tomorrow to long?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Has he peed?

If he is lethargic, I would take him to the ER tonight. Do not wait till morning. He very well could be dehydrated.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
For a kid who's been vomiting up water, and appears listless to this degree, I would be in the ER tonight. He sounds badly dehydrated.
#4 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

well...i did the skin pinch test and it was ok! I was kind of going by that...but..i'm starting to second guess myself.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 PM

I would take him to the ER. If needed, they can give him an IV with fluids, which could be the difference between night and day for how he feels.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#6 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM

the askdrsears.com website seemed to have pretty good guidelines for infant/toddler dehydration, so I'd probably go by that, and if I was worried (but not at the point where I need to go, just to try to prevent getting to that point) I'd get some pedialyte (no, ingredients aren't great, but it's compromise time) and wait several hours and try that, 1 tsp at a time.
#7 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 PM

I would call the ER or a nurse line and tell them the symptoms, and follow their advice.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#8 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Has he peed? If he is lethargic or listless, take him right away.

Does he have a headache? Neckache?

Does he have a fever?

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#9 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 PM

This is just to address the vomiting issue - you need to let his stomach rest more before giving him anything. The best advice I ever got from one doc was to wait at least an hour and then take just a sip or two of water (or eat a few ice chips). For our little one I would put a piece of ice in one of those mesh feeding things for toddlers, the ones made to put fruit in so they can gum it without choking, and let him suck/chew on it tohelp with his thirst. If that little bit of liquid stays down then have a little more 20 to 30 minutes later. If that stays down you can increase frequency and amount. If it doesn't stay down then wait at least another hour before trying again.

If you give liquids too soon, each time you throw it up you also throw up more liquids than you drank and dehydrate yourself even faster.

It is so hard to resist drinking a lot at once because of thirst and I find that the ice thing works great for soothing a dry mouth.

I hope your little one is feeling better.
#10 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Take him to the ED tonight. Dehydration in small children is nothing to sit on.
If he can't keep anything else down, he won't keep pedialyte down any better.
#11 of 19 Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 PM

If your child is weak and can barely sit up then you should call the Dr.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

He is asking for Milk and coffee, now! Interesting....I'm not giving him any...but I thought That was interesting!
He has peed once today, he does not have a fever. I gave him a warm bath, and I had to dress him. He is that weak!
Another thing is...we are in Mexico...about 45 min to Texas.
I called our Chiro and he told me of some things to do to test for dehydration. I did them and he passed...My 1 y/o threw up all day yesterday and today he's fine....I really do think it's a stomach bug...and it's taking my 4 yo a little longer to get rid of it. I will watch him through the night...and re-asses in the morning.

#13 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
For a kid who's been vomiting up water, and appears listless to this degree, I would be in the ER tonight. He sounds badly dehydrated.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#14 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
well...i did the skin pinch test and it was ok! I was kind of going by that...but..i'm starting to second guess myself.
That would only show extreme dehydration. You definitely don't want it to get to that point!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 AM

I agree with everyone else- he needs to be seen sooner rather than later, if he is so lethargic he barely moves and is peeing that little. He sounds dangerously dehydrated from the description.

Sometimes it's amazing how fast IV fluids can help a kiddo feel better, and often seems to stop the vicious cycle of nausea and vomiting.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#16 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 AM

I hope he is doing okay! I agree with everyone else - he sounds dehydrated; I'd take him to the ER for fluids. Little kids can get dehydrated quickly which can be very dangerous. I think the skin pinch test would only show extreme dehydration - at that point it might be a medical emergency.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#17 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM

How is he this morning?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#18 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 PM

While I totally agree with the letting the stomach rest comment at this point I'd want another pair of eyes on him. I hope that this has either stopped and he's drinking or that he got medical attention. A child that young passing urine only once in a day is concerning to me. I wouldn't let that go.
#19 of 19 Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
Sometimes it's amazing how fast IV fluids can help a kiddo feel better, and often seems to stop the vicious cycle of nausea and vomiting.
Yes, that!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page