Give me your best tips for helping a cough! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh can't hardly sleep because he's coughing so bad. Dry, non productive cough that's been getting worse the last 5 days. We've been slathering on Vick's and last night I put a warm, wet towel on his chest. That did help some but what else can I try? He is miserable!!

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM

How miserable.

Since you mentioned dry and unproductive Caleb and I always get an asthma cough with resp. stuff and nothing really helps unless we're using albuterol. It took me a long while to figure that out with myself because it was adult onset for me, it is the only time I have asthma, and it's entirely cough variant - no wheezing or the like. But the albuterol helps immensely.

People swear by Mucinex and I think it's worth a try for sure. It doesn't help me when it's an asthma cough of course. Honey is better than cough syrups for coughs with kids. I suspect adults would be the same. http://health.usnews.com/usnews/heal...kids-cough.htm Also, I know doctors gave me a prescription something once. It worked wonderfully for my friend who used it and my own husband. I think my issue was asthma (unkown then) and so it wasn't great for me. But I know there are (or were) prescription options for really desperate situations. And five days with a dry cough keeping a person awake sounds desperate to me.

No fever or other symptoms, right? I mention because my sister had viral pneumonia and it was a dry cough that kept getting worse. I didn't know pneumonia could be a dry cough but it can. And I know that the H1N1 flu seems to be producing viral (rather than the more typical post-flu bacterial pneumonia).

I hope he's better and sleeping well soon.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

I've got that cough right now, it does seem to be getting a little better each day, but trying to sleep is the worst. I have my head propped up on three pillows, that helps a little. I also have water by the bed. I've tried homeopathic cough syrup, and it helps a tiny bit, I tried Robitussin, and it was about the same. I finally gave in and went for the Nyquil (not something I would normally take, especially because it treats way more symptoms than I have), but it definitely worked. I used it for three nights, and was really able to sleep. I think with this cough the Nyquil is worth it!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I did give him some chamomile tea with raw honey but he didn't like it so he only drank some of it.

I think I am going to pick up some Mucinex because he's got to get this stuff out! I did listen to his chest and I can hear some crackling but he is not running a fever so if it's pneumonia I'm assuming it's viral.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM

You say you've been using Vicks but has he tried slathering it on his feet and covering them with socks? Sounds odd but I swear it works. Also, for a dry, non-productive cough, what about Aconite (homeopathic remedy) - especially if the cough is worse at night and his chest feels dry. Or possibly Bryonia?

Hope he feels better soon!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My DS is experiencing the post H1N1 cough and I am having success in loosening it up with ginger tea with raw honey. It is also seems to be getting the mucus to flow too.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 11-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
I did give him some chamomile tea with raw honey but he didn't like it so he only drank some of it.

I think I am going to pick up some Mucinex because he's got to get this stuff out! I did listen to his chest and I can hear some crackling but he is not running a fever so if it's pneumonia I'm assuming it's viral.
Is there some other drink he likes better? My grandma used to do hot lemonade with honey. I can see how it would be hard to choke down chamomile tea if you didn't like the taste.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 AM

We do the hot lemonade with honey here too, using fresh lemons. It really helps soothe the throat.

Hope he's better soon.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Breathe Easy Tea from Traditional Medicinals is great. Or just plain Astragula(sp) tea.

User Tag List