Question about adrenal function and endocrinologists - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have read my posts, you will know that I have been a train wreck for a year. Ugh. Anyway, I think I just realized a pattern in my moods. I seem to go for 4-6 weeks feeling pretty good, then I will have a couple of weeks that are really bad, lots of crying and yelling and frustration, and then I will have some time where I feel like I do now, which is good in the morning, an enormous drop in energy in the afternoon-like serious fatigue where I want to be asleep and snap at anybody who talks to me, and then after a couple of hours I feel great again in the evening. Like I do right now. If I understand correctly, that huge afternoon slouch is a sign of adrenal fatigue, right?

My question, does adrenal function tend to fluctuate? Can they be working well for a month and then droop for a month? I have tried addressing this from so many angles, this is just another one.

I am working on getting medicaid, which I just found out we may qualify for and if we get it, I would love to see an endocrinologist. If one of those docs checks my hormone levels and finds some numbers out of whack, what then? Is there a way to regulate hormones without hormone therapy? (I am taking Vitex) Is hormone therapy safe?

Thanks so much if you can help, I appreciate it more than you know!
#2 of 4 Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM

You should check out the adrenal fatigue thread. I wouldn't go to an endo - the majority of conventional docs won't even discuss adrenal fatigue unless it's Addison's Disease.

You can order your own test. The best test is an ASI (adrenal stress index) by Diagnos-Techs lab - it's a saliva test that you do four times in one day to measure your fluctuating cortisol levels which is important, rather than a 1 time cortisol test which won't show your rhythm.

There are lifestyle & supplement discussions in the adrenal fatigue thread about how best to support them. If you can find a naturopath, that would be ideal.
Conventional "therapy" would be to either ignore it until it gets worse, put you on anti-depressants or give you steroids (cortisone.)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM

The old adrenal fatigue thread. <--- first couple of pages have a ton of info - check it out.

The new adrenal fatigue thread.

Diagnos-Techs ASI

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have read through a lot of the first one, it's novel length so searching for an answer there could take months! I could maybe spring for the tests but if I find my cortisol levels low (or estrogen or something), what then? I was seeing an ND several months back and my estrogen levels showed low with one simple blood test and she put me on vitex(which I stopped taking for a few months and resumed about a month ago). She said my other levels showed totally fine. And that was why I was asking about fluctuation. If an ND is covered by the insurance, I'll certainly go there to get all sorts of levels checked. Is there another supplementation for hormones or estrogen or would that not be very smart?

Also, if you test your levels with the saliva test and you find it needing attention, does it explain what the next step is as far as treating them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page