mild strain of H1N1? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my family has been sick for a week now.. the kids got sick right after halloween and Dh and i got sick during the week. it doesn't seem too severe but it doesn't seem like a cold, KWIM? DS (7) seems all better now, but has a lingering cough and isn't "himself." the toddler is still sick. DH is still pretty sick too, but not enough for me to have thought it would be flu.

the cough is tough, but i have asthma, and so it's not strange for me to get a nasty, ripping my chest out cough when i get sick. i have been caring for the kids, doing dishes and laundry, and only felt really sick for a few hours on thursday afternoon.

the doctor thinks we might have H1N1, but she said there isn't anyway to know for sure, since they have stopped doing cultures and just assume everyone in the ER has it.

i wonder if anyone else has had a mild strain?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 PM

My dh and kids all had H1N1 at the begining of Oct. They all had fevers, a cough so bad it would make them throw up and an overall crappy feeling.

I was definately exposed. I got a sore throat and a mild cough. No fever. It was very mild. I think maybe more mild than your case. I would doubt it was the flu at all if dd1 hadn't coughed in my face several times.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#3 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 04:08 PM

That sounds very much like what our family had in mid-October. We were not tested for H1N1, but we were exposed to people who had been diagnosed, so assumed that that's what we had.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 PM

My husband was exposed to (confirmed, tested in the other family) flu last week. Two days later he got a sore throat and mild aches and occasional cough. He never ran a fever but did say he thought it might be the flu even before we knew of the exposure. He feels fine three days later though I do hear him cough very occasionally.

I still don't know because it was so very mild but given his exposure (and how careful he is about washing hands) and that he had absolutely no build up or nasal involvement like a cold virus typically presents I think it's very possible he had an extremely mild experience with the flu. I don't think it's the strain per se because even in the family with the confirmed case the way it's presenting in severity is varying widely. I think it must have more to do with the individual's body response to the virus.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 18 Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM

My husband was sick for the last 48 hours with all the symptoms of H1N1. As soon as he told me, I had him start taking Oscillococcinum-I don't know if it was a weak strain or the medicine, but he's totally fine now.

I think a HUGE part is that although H1N1 can be serious, it can also be incredibly mild. The serious cases generally seem to be in individuals with other underlying health issues, especially those with respiratory problems.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#6 of 18 Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 AM

My son was sick for 4 days with a fever. School attendance is VERY strict here (Germany-hsing is illegal) so I sent him back with no fever but not 100%. He was there for a week and has a fever AGAIN. I had a 3 day low grade fever an my daughter looks awful but no symptoms. I think we will get tested today just so I know what Im dealing with and to keep the school off my butt.I also took Oscocillium (sp?) and am a lot better after a day and a half of rest.I'll let everyone know..
#7 of 18 Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 AM

We think that's what the kids have, they have been sick for over a week. All the symptoms- low grade fever, congestion, cough, vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, fatigue... AND I had been giving them Oscill beofre they got sick I took the baby to the doc to make sure her lungs were clear and she didn't seem too worried so there was no culture taken and one was not offered. We were told if we had any concerns to go straight to hasbro.

Everyone in the house got sick but me. The baby was the sickest, then DS, then DH.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#8 of 18 Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 AM

SOmething that I always think of....if I hadnt given my kids echinacea, Vt C or even Oscocill. how much sicker would they have gotten??? You are doing the right thing taking the time to keep them healthy!! Hugs to you
#9 of 18 Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

looking at this chart, i am pretty sure we have all had H1N1 flu. we are all still coughing and DH and the toddler are both still a bit sick (a week later).

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ALTH/310140011

i stopped using my nebulizer yesterday afternoon, so i am on the mend, even if i still have a headache and cough.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#10 of 18 Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm pretty sure we're recovering from H1N1.

Everyone in the family got it within 3 days of each other.

Started with a dry unproductive cough, then fever, body aches, chills and continuing cough for over a week.

We never got sore throats or sinus symptoms.

We all had varying degrees of severity. I'm 35 wks pregnant and did not get a fever but had everything else, including body aches and chills and am still coughing a week later. My 4 yo got hit the hardest with 4 days of fever and a terrible cough that required codeine and albuterol.

We've been taking high doses of Vit. D for months, Vit C, Elderberry, garlic etc.

Our county is not testing for H1N1 right now, but based on our symptoms, dd's doctor thinks we probably had it.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#11 of 18 Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

yentroc, if i was in your shoes i would be relieved to have it now instead of after the baby comes earthside.

my toddler is still feeling crappy and it's been 10 days for her now. she still has a nasty cough and now a runny nose and is crabby and tired. i am hoping she is soon better as living with her has been a challenge.

#12 of 18 Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Yep, umami, I've been so nervous about getting it while preg... but when all of us were down for the count, I kept thinking about how awful it would be to have a newborn right now!!

I really hope it was H1N1, because we just got the best immunization possible.

#13 of 18 Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM

I'm really surprised so many use oscillo. We use elderberry and it has several studies that back up its effectiveness against cold and flu viruses. The study I saw on Oscillo showed it shortened the illness by only 7 hours whereas elderberry shortens it by several days (and that has been my experience, too.)

Another virus going around here is the croup virus. It makes you wonder if it is the flu. However, once we got the flu it was pretty obvious. You usually don't get that 'hit by a truck' feeling otherwise. DD1 also had 104 temp with the flu and it wasn't that high or persistent when she had the croup.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#14 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM

I think we have a super mild case. The babysitter's daughter and another little girl who go there both had it earlier this week. Looked like we escaped it, but DS had a cough and runny nose yesterday and came down with a low fever overnight. He's a little bit peaky but it's really not that bad. He was playing outside (it's still super warm here in Texas) and he's eating pretty well. I feel bad though, he's so congested though that he's having trouble nursing. Guess we may try the saline and hot shower route here in a little bit.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#15 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

the cough is usually pretty bad... lingering for a while.

DD coughed so hard yesterday she threw up all over me (of course).

i have viral pneumonia now. the doc says this has become a very common complication of H1N1.

#16 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM

umami, what are the symptoms of your pneumonia? Our coughs are definately lingering almost 2 wks later but getting much better/looser.

I'm concerned about pneumonia b/c I'm nearly full term pregnant.

Dd coughed so hard she threw up too.

#17 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

a hacking cough that just won't quit and feeling dizzy when you cough. getting out of breath with any exertion.

the doc says my chest is fairly clear (believe it or not!), but my blood O2 level was only 95%. which isn't horrible, but not good either.

i wanted a prednisone pack, but she gave me an inhaler instead. and antibiotics. which i haven't taken. i don't think it's bacterial. i'm not sick enough. and i don't have a fever. so i went out and bought a bunch of juices and teas (so i can drink myself silly) and goji juice. and i started back on the elderberry.

#18 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I may have had a mild case too. I have this dry unproductive cough that wont quit, night sweats, body aches, a slightly runny nose and fatigue. No fever that I notice. Just this lame cough that wont go away. It keeps me up all night long. My stomach muscles ache. My 20 mo DD didnt even get it. I am hoping with BFing and Vitamin D she wont get sick. My husband had the same thing a week ago, maybe longer. I thought I got away, but then I got stressed out and came down with it too.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page