Can you get sick from being around FluMist vaccine? Need advice fast! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is a Phys Ed teacher and they are using his gym to give Flu Mist vaccines to kids all morning tomorrow. I am 22 weeks pregnant AND we have a 16 month old baby at home. We don't vax. Myself, hubby, and baby are already pretty sick with bad colds. Can he catch anything from the 'live' vaccine that will be 'left over' in his gym?? I'm worried about him bringing it home.
Just FYI: His school nurse if very conventional, so I need some solid 'evidence'... any help GREATLY super appreciated!!
#2 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

I would say it is possible. At our hospital we are not giving the nasal version of the H1N1 vaccine to health care workers because of the chance they could breath or sneeze it back out over a sick patient and make them sick.

I would say this logic would transfer over to the Flu Mist.
#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM

I think if he's healthy (and stocked on vitamin D3) it's not that likely. I don't know what the school would do. They are still going to vax and those kids will be then in the gym running around. I don't know that where it's done matters in terms of your husbands exposure. I guess he could do a sick day that day or wear a surgical mask (my husband might do the sick day but would refuse the mask...).

I'd give him 9,000 to 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day for at least three days and the drop back to 1000 IU per 25 pounds. If he's not regularly taking vitamin D I'd keep him at 9,000 IU per day through flu season. You should be taking it too. If you're nursing and I'd take at least 6500 IU per day and probably 9000 IU given you already have colds and most people are very low. Probiotics are good for flu prevention as well. Are you certain you don't already have the flu (vs. bad colds....)?

You could do masks for yourself until you know hubby isn't coming down with it. You should know within a short time frame with this flu.

My sons are at high risk for the flu. They can't receive the live mist but they can be around family members who do. So while it's possible I don't think it's a huge risk though I can understand your concern.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Its a live vax, so the kids are going to be shedding. Not sure for how long.....
As PP said D3 is essential! I'd consider loading up on probiotics too, and garlic!
One of Mercola's article was talking about how all H1N1 deaths also were infected w/ Staph, If taken in large enough doses Garlic is a strong antibiotic. Goldenseal is an amazing antibiotic too. But after a week on Goldenseal take a 2 day break, then do another week on....

And exercise is super important for fighting viruses

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page