Please help :( 9 month old w/ fever of 102 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When would you give tylenol with a 9 month old with a fever of 102 when sleeping taken in the ear? We went to the doctor earlier they said just watch him and if it get over 103 give him 2 doses of tylenol (not at once but like one dose and then a second dose 4-6 hours later) and if that don't work come back in, we are close 103 so should I give it to him now? I am nursing him as much as he will nurse he's naked just in a diaper cuz he was so hot but theroom is warm but on the cool side of warm. So please help what should I do?
#2 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 AM

Opinions vary on how to treat fevers, but personally I go by how the child is feeling. If your baby is uncomfortable and can't sleep, then I'd do the Tylenol. But I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby to give a fever reducer if he seems to be otherwise symptom free. I think the general consensus you'll find around here is that the fever is not in and of itself harmful--it's the body's way of handling an illness.

I hope that helps, and I hope your sweetie feels better in the morning!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 AM

When he wakes up. 102 was always my cutoff. I hate having a fever and it gives me a headache when i get to that temperature. So since they're non-verbal, hat's how I judge the situation.
#4 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 04:31 AM

I agree with the previous posts. I do keep in mind that a temp taken in the ear can vary by a degree up or down but, if my child is obviously out of sorts then I give them something to bring the fever down.

I hope that your babe gets well soon!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#5 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I go by how the child looks and not how high the number is. If my child has a 103 fever but can sleep and seems relatively ok for being sick I do not medicate. If my child seems realy uncomfortable and in pain then I medicate even if the fever is lower. I have let my child have a 103-104 fever at that age. She was tired and snuggly. I kept offering the breast and she made it through just fine.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#6 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 AM

I would give it now. I think they may have you go into children's hospital if it gets to 103. That's how our old pedi worked. Tylenol now seems better than that.

:Mama to 2 :
#7 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

He woke up and was soooo hot so I gave him his first dose of tylenol. I feel like the worst parent on earth, I know I'm not cuz people and babies get sick but I hate not knowing what to do for him
#8 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 06:52 AM

#9 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post
He woke up and was soooo hot so I gave him his first dose of tylenol. I feel like the worst parent on earth, I know I'm not cuz people and babies get sick but I hate not knowing what to do for him
Listen to your instincts and do what makes you feel comfortable. My children will once a year get a high fever like that and I worry, but it is always fine. I had a ped tell me once that a fever up to 104 is not really a big deal in a child.

Keep your baby hydrated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page