Is it possible for an adult to develop an allergy to nuts?? A bit of TMI, sorry! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm now 50+ years old & I've never had any type of allergies in my entire life (not even seasonal outdoor-related).

But (pun intended!), within the last couple of months, everytime I eat any type of whole nut (not in a "butter" form or as a "small" ingredient in something else), in exactly 12 hours, I develop a terrible, bright red rash around my anus. Like a 3" circle of very uncomfortable burning & itching. It is awful (murder to wipe)!

It lasts a day and then stops.

I've been careful to see if it does the same with tomatoes (nope) or potatoes (nope). Nada for any other type of usual allergens.

Only whole nuts. Peanuts are the worst (oh, the discomfort after eating a mini Snickers & 2 mini Mr. Goodbar from ds's Halloween haul!), with pecans and almonds a close second. Haven't tried walnuts (I'm being cowardly!).

Like I said, any type of processing seems to change the nut, so no pain with nuts in form other than whole (I love cashew butter, no problems, thank goodness).

I know it is easy to avoid whole nuts, it's not a big deal. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this type of reaction, especially as an adult with no history of any kind of allergies!
#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems odd that it would only be with the whole nut and not a processed nut, especially because roasting brings out the allergens.

If I were you, considering it's nuts, I'd go to an allergist, and get tested. You CAN develop an allergy at any time and things can get progressively worse. If that is ruled out, then it's possibly a nut intolerance. Many of the babies/kids over in the allergy forum have the red ring around the anus as a sign of food allergy/intolerance. I haven't heard of it in an adult but anything is possible.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I developed a horrible allergy to nectarines at 36 yrs old.

And bananas at 16.

They can come on at any time.
#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 02:04 AM

I had a horrible reaction Wednesday to goodness knows what. And in the last two years have developed allergies (hives, excema the whole enchilada) to HFCS and Adult beverages. I'm real fun at a party
#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2009, 12:58 AM

I became sensitive to nuts in the last 10 yrs (I'm in my 40s). They give me a stomach pain....not exactly like an ulcer but similar. I can't eat peanuts, almonds or walnuts. I think sensitivities/allergies can happen at any age!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#6 of 7 Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 AM

My FIL developed a nut allergy in his 50s after undergoing chemo for bowel cancer.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

I agree with the other posters, allergies can begin anytime in one's lifetime. But I have to add (and here's my moment of TMI) that whenever I eat nuts, I also end up with a bottom on fire! Since they are whole nuts, and come through the other end all ground up, it is like wiping my bottom with pumice. So that is what I thought caused that pain. I never even thought to look for an allergy ring!

Do you notice this rash/pain even if you haven't had a bm?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page