IBS after Cesarean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if having a cesarean can lead to irritable bowel syndrome? I started having symptoms maybe a month after mine and didn't really think too much of it until now.

I don't even know if it's IBS, but something is gastro-intestinally wrong, and I never had any problems until after the surgery.

My awesome Google ninja powers are failing me tonight.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM

I have had 3 CS. The only thing that comes to mind is it felt like my guts were still moving back into place 30-60 days after having it. I am a side sleeper and I noticed when I would roll over or get out of bed, everything inside me would shift.

Have you changed your diet since having your baby from when you were pregnant?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. My diet hasn't changed very much - in the third trimester and 1st 3 months postpartum I abandoned cooking in favor of "convenience" meals (hamburger helper, skillet meals, etc) but am back to my normal cooking now.

#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Did they do antibiotics in the IV? They did with mine and I think prophylactic antibiotics in sections is very common. If they did with yours I'd be thinking you have issues from the antibiotics. In other words they killed off the good bacteria and not so good ones or yeasts took over. I'd treat from that standpoint--trying probiotics first (good ones, I like Klaire labs but culturelle and florsator every day are another option). If that doesn't help kill off everything (we use P73 oregano oil by NHS--and only that form--for that) as you do probiotics heavily to try to repopulate with good guys.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
kl5

Just an idea: both childbirth and surgery can trigger previously undetected celiac disease. (See here.) There was no obvious trigger for me, but I suffered from "IBS" (for lack of any definitive diagnosis, told to avoid tomatoes, chocolate, prescribed acid blockers, etc.) for years and only felt better once I realized gluten and dairy (huge elements in my former vegetarian diet) were a problem and took them out. I miss gluten less than I enjoy feeling better!

Good luck.
#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 PM

If you suspect celiac do a test before you remove gluten. We removed first for my son and then didn't know whether the improvement was because he had celiac or something else. The tests aren't 100% so it might be worth removing regardless but can't test at all if you're not consuming gluten.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Did they do antibiotics in the IV? They did with mine and I think prophylactic antibiotics in sections is very common. If they did with yours I'd be thinking you have issues from the antibiotics. In other words they killed off the good bacteria and not so good ones or yeasts took over. I'd treat from that standpoint--trying probiotics first (good ones, I like Klaire labs but culturelle and florsator every day are another option). If that doesn't help kill off everything (we use P73 oregano oil by NHS--and only that form--for that) as you do probiotics heavily to try to repopulate with good guys.
They did lots of antibiotics. I was GBS+. I refused to let them put the IV back in when it went empty and backed up, but that was at least 24 hours after surgery.

I have a bottle of really good probiotics (my midwife is particular, so I assume they're really good). I have never taken probiotics and know very little about them. Anything special I should know or just follow the dosage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
Just an idea: both childbirth and surgery can trigger previously undetected celiac disease. (See here.) There was no obvious trigger for me, but I suffered from "IBS" (for lack of any definitive diagnosis, told to avoid tomatoes, chocolate, prescribed acid blockers, etc.) for years and only felt better once I realized gluten and dairy (huge elements in my former vegetarian diet) were a problem and took them out. I miss gluten less than I enjoy feeling better!

Good luck.
Blaaaah, I so do not want to have to avoid gluten. I will read up on that. Thank you.

#8 of 9 Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

Try whole food probiotics.

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 9 Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 AM

I started having IBS symptoms 6 months after my section. I was diagnosed IBS almost 2 years into my misery and many wrong diagnoses later. I went through hell. It got so bad I almost couldnt leave the house. It actually led to the first anxiety issue of my life. Never had anxiety issues before. I had been experiencing horrible IBS issues while away from home and unable to get to a bathroom. You can imagine what caused the mental breakdown after years of this. I was, at that point, associating the onset of the symptoms with absolute panic. After trying the cleansing, enzymes, probios, visits to homeopath etc (it helped a trivial amount.) I finally hired a hypnotherapist. Sounds crazy (even I thought it was) but I was desperate. She helped me overcome my mental stuff with relation to the csection, and kind of reconditioned my brain. I immediately had 75% relief. She gave me suggestions to hypnotize myself when I felt the IBS returning and it worked. I have been 95% IBS free for 9 years now.
Oh, and when I got preg. w/ #2 my HB MW explained to me about the nerves being cut during the section and the bowel issues associated. (The only immediate relief I was able to have when the symptoms flared up before the hypno was to rhythmically tap my diaphragm area...apparently I was stimulating my nerves to work) I also have MANY adhesions attaching my scar area to my bowel, bladder etc This causes severe tearing pain if I sneeze the wrong way, twist the wrong way, or even get out of bed wrong. But I was almost dysfunctional before the hypno
Hope this helps someone! I feel your misery!

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page