Don't know if anything is wrong with me or I'm just lazy... I'm just so tired of being tired! :( - Update Post #22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, I know there is a lot of info on here but honestly it is all so overwhelming, especially like the long thyroid and adrenal threads. Some of the stuff in there is familiar-sounding.

Pretty much, I am tired. All the time. I want to do things SOO badly. I want to have a beautiful clean house. I want to cook 3 meals a day from scratch. I want to run around with my daughter inside and out. I really really do. But I just sit most of the day, and sleep too much. Luckily my daughter will nap with me relatively well. My schedule is always off because of going to sleep at inappropriate times and then I end up being up all night and asleep at times when I feel I should be awake. The only thing I always do well is take care of my daughter. I love her so much. And some people would say that is a lot, but she is not high-needs, I could be doing a lot else!

Doing anything feels like hard work. Even just standing and walking around cooking or putting things away. I am always hungry but too tired to fix food too much. I end up being on the computer too much and just feeling depressed because I am simply too tired to live life! That is a horrible feeling.

I try to talk to DP about it, I even told him today how I feel to tired to live, and how he doesn't understand my constant exhaustion. He is a very energetic person and thinks I am simply lazy. That has been a huge problem for all 4 years of our relationship and now it is ending, really. And this way I am is part of the problem, he says. He uses circular kind of things, that I am tired because I don't do anything. That huge stress(breaking up) is just making it worse lately, too. And I feel so so so guilty, and part of me does believe him, that this is just a huge character flaw, that I am a bad person and need to get off my ass and do things.

But I really want there to be something wrong with me! Not that I want to be sick, god no.... I just want to have something that is fixable. I've felt like this since I was pregnant with my first dd, I think. Around 3 1/2-4 years. I don't think I'm describing it well... Just a constant low. If anyone has any Q's that might help I'd be glad to answer. I'd try to think of more but my brain is sluggish right now.

All the advice I find is overwhelming. Everyone saying you HAVE to have this and that and this. I don't have $$$$ for all kinds of vitamins, I live in a tiny town with no homeopaths, D.O.'s.. etc. Lol! I will have $120 in a couple days however, so if anyone has suggestions for absolutely essential things that would help, I could try something. Vit. C, CLO, B-12 dots?..... I have no clue!

I'm ashamed to admit this but I've been so desperate I've considered taking pain pills/ritalin/decongestants with ephedrine(heard of that on Glee LOL), just to get the energy to do some deep house-cleaning for once!!!!! But I haven't done it and I don't want to resort to that. I know too many moms hooked on pain pills around here... I just don't know what to do mamas. I feel like I am not this person on the inside, but right now, I am *that person*...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

I AM reading through the thyroid/adrenal threads though, I might learn something. Ugh I feel like crying.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

I just remembered something else that may be relevant. My brain has been foggy, and getting progressively worse. I have always had an EXCELLENT memory, so a few months ago when I started not remembering things, simple stuff even that I had heard a few minutes ago, it worried me a bit. And it is still that way, I find myself constantly apologizing to others and making excuses that I am 'out of it'/tired/foggy at the moment. I just do not feel sharp, and I hate it!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:43 AM

Omg. Well whatever you have, I have it too. Everything you've said fits me exactly. I don't know what it is, but I hate it. Maybe we can figure this out together.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 AM

I've felt that way off and on throughout my adult life. What you're describing really rings of hypothyroidism and/or depression to me. I'm still trying to get a dx of subclinical hypothyroidism myself--I finally saw a doc who suggested it and felt strongly that I need to be treated, but he's an urgent care doc and said he couldn't treat me but that I need to find someone who will. Not an easy task. But, back to you. I'm concerned that you mentioned your relationship is ending and that your issue is a contributing factor. If it is even mild situational depression, the break-up isn't going to help, as you know.

What have you tried, if anything, to cope with the way you feel? I don't want to throw out a bunch of suggestions you've already tried.

My inclination is to say that you should find a *good* healthcare provider....maybe a midwife or nurse practitioner...someone experienced in women's health and someone who's going to look at more than what a traditional mainstream MD would. If you're not close to one, maybe you can figure out a way to get to one. That $120 might even cover an office visit.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM

ITA with the above post. A good midwife who will sit down and go over all your symptoms. It does sound like depression, but it's very difficult to say without all the details.

I will say whether it's depression or another health issue, diet is very important. Even if you're too tired to cook (and honey, wow, do I understand that!) eat, simple wholesome foods. No chemicals. NO SUGAR. The best thing I ever did for my depression was stop eating sugar.

I am chronically tired and recently read some information on over-abundance of yeast being a cause for the exhaustion of millions of women. So I have taken myself off wheat/gluton entirely. And I'm feeling a difference. This may or may not be helpful to you, but I'm throwing it out there. Taking lots of probiotics... put myself on Pau d' Arco and lowering starches of all sorts.

Hang in there. I feel for you. But I do think you should go talk to a good women's health practitioner soon.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 AM

You really need to see a good Dr and get a work-up. Feeling tired like that is not normal or fun. I was right there a few months ago. Once you rule in or out any physical problems you can make better decisions on what you need. I too had 'foggy brain' and exhaustion. Are your cycles normal? Please get some help because things can be better and you and your dd deserve it.

momma to 4!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 AM

Have you ever looked at Fibromyalgia? You've described my husband almost to a tee. I know that the thyroid is often the first thought in women....however fibromyalgia also has very similar symptoms.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedmama View Post
I just remembered something else that may be relevant. My brain has been foggy, and getting progressively worse. I have always had an EXCELLENT memory, so a few months ago when I started not remembering things, simple stuff even that I had heard a few minutes ago, it worried me a bit. And it is still that way, I find myself constantly apologizing to others and making excuses that I am 'out of it'/tired/foggy at the moment. I just do not feel sharp, and I hate it!
This is a big part of my experience with adrenal fatigue. When I'm taking pregnenolone, my memory/word retrieval is so much sharper. But once I go off, I forget words, misspeak, can't remember, etc.

Just wanted to mention that your thyroid won't heal until you fix your adrenals.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 PM

I could have written your first post. I have been searching for an answer for YEARS. I have had the saliva test for adrenals done and everything is normal. I have had thyroid testing and everything is normal. Even tried thyroid meds for the heck of it and had no effect.
I am hopeless

DS 5-11-06
Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Do you have any other symptoms of anything? If you have pain & numbness in your arms/hands, legs/feet it is a B12 deficiency which can cause anemia & the tiredness/mind fog. I get B12 shots every 2 weeks for it.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 PM

When I get like this, it's iron. Plain and simple. I know it almost sounds too simple. I do fight yeast, too, though, so I think that plays a part in it. I have been taking Slow FE (iron) for years and it WAS amazing! (they have since changed the formula so I do not recommend it anymore) But when I would get off for just a week, I could tell the difference.

These last few months, I have been taking SlowFE without knowing they changed the formula. A few weeks ago, I fell into a major depression that I couldn't shake. I couldn't figure out why because I am not prone to depression. Then I found out about the iron and it made sense. My nails are also my number one sign besides the tiredness, fogginess I get and my nails have huge, deep ridges in them... fingernails and toenails. Can't believe I didn't know this. I bought Nature's Plus Hema-plex and am taking 2 every night after I eat. It seems to be helping without causing stomach upset. It was only $13.25 for 60 tablets. As soon as I am on this for a week or so, I will probably up it to 3/day as it's only 85 mg each.

Anyway, I know what you are experiencing could be lots of things. But, for me, it is iron. I, too, am trying to stay away from refined sugars and dairy but that is harder for me. I haven't figured that one out yet.

I truly am sorry you feel this way. I hope you figure it out soon!!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Can you go get a full physical from the doctor? There is a simple blood test for hypothyroidism. Once you rule it in or out, then you can do more research on the natural stuff. But you need an answer first!

Ask them to test for all of the things here, hypo, iron, diabetes, everything!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Another vote for trying a dietary change. I was rendered completely useless for a few years. I had fibro, psoriasis, extreme fatigue, a puffy thyroid, wrecked adrenals. I ended up having a really serious gluten sensitivity and I was reacting to more and more foods. After cutting out the gluten I slowly began to recover. I ate more nourishing foods, broths and fermented foods. Later on cutting out grains really helped as well. Sugar was the first to go. When I had a slight bit of energy, instead of doing housework I did some exercise( light!). At first that was all I could manage( I would be back on the couch for most of the rest of the day), but within a week the exercise gave me more and more energy. Now 4 years later I am healed. No psoriasis, no fibro, my thyroid has shrunk back in size. My mood is much better and I am able to be a much better mom and partner.
I would go to the doc for some bloodwork to check everything out.

:
Old 11-15-2009, 06:49 PM

THis is me,too. For most of my adult life, My mantra has always been "when i feel better..." and I wasn't really even conscious of it.

I have been feeling better the last couple of months. My usual experience is that in a given 30 day period, I may have 2 maybe 3 days of feeling normal. Like I can get through a day doing basic house chores, laundry and cooking dinner without it being an hurculean task.

I don't really know why I've been feeling better in the past month, but here are the things that I think may be contributing.

Sleep. After 10 years of waking babies, etc.. I'm now starting to have much better nights of sleep. I think I had a night last week where I went to sleep and woke in the morning. A usual night for years was waking every hour or two all night long.

Exercise. Yeah.. I know... its really hard to get up and go when you don''t have any get-up-and-go. But a brisk walk for 30 minutes has really made me feel better mentally ( I think i suffer from depression..).....Maybe the sleep has made me feel more up for exercise..

I've been taking cod liver oil... don't know if that has any bearing whatsoever... but its something that I 've been doing differently that may contribute.

My brain is still a bit foggy. I have better and worse days on that. same with focus... I can't focus for more than a couple of minutes.. I couldn't read and understand my phone billl once.

My back hurts constantly,too.. upper back and neck. for about a year now...

..sharing all my symptoms to compare with you.. not to hijack your thread...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post

My back hurts constantly,too.. upper back and neck. for about a year now...

Get this book: Healing Back Pain, by Dr. John Sarno. Read it once, absorb, and read it again. Best thing I ever did for my back, and I had a lot of your symptoms too.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 11-15-2009, 09:13 PM

I was you. I had some things you don't often see mentioned.

Do you have insurance? A doctor who will run tests? Most of what I'll suggest aren't alternative tests at all and so insurance will cover them. In some cases you will have to do supplements but you'll know exactly what you need so you're not spending $$ taking stabs in the dark. Also, the difference in how you feel and function will make the cost worth it.

Check, in order of importance:

thyroid (including T3 and T4 levels)

Vitamin D levels--particularly 25 (OH) D I imagine you're low..you want levels of 50 or above.

B12 levels

coq10 levels (looking for a common metabolic condition that causes fatigue, really push for this one given this is something that's been going on so long)

carnitine levels (again, several common metabolic conditions)

Hospital sleep study to look for apnea (even if you aren't aware of snoring but especially if you breath heavily or snore) and, if you can consult with a sleep doctor, a nap study as well for narcoleptic epsiodes. Interestingly those with this often have trouble with night sleep even as they have severe issues with daytime sleepiness. Your regular physician should be able to order a sleep study. Home studies are not the same thing and not what you want. You want a sleep lab study.

Calcium levels (looking for parathyroid issues, should be below 10, if it isn't don't supplement vitamin D which will also be low in parathyroid disease)

Adrenal fatigue issues would need an alternative doctor. I'd look at the stuff you can test otherwise first (many go along with adrenals and adrenal fatigue doesn't preclude any of them. I have adrenal issues but also had one of those metabolic issues causing low coq10, low vitamin D, sleep apnea, and a less than ideal T3 thyroid level. I suspect some of the others came before the adrenal (chicken/egg situation). You fix any underlying issues and it's easier to address the adrenal stuff.

Also you are describing sleep patterns with a sleep disorder. And even if it isn't that I think these sleep patterns affect adrenal function. I've got the same issues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadi...sleep_disorder Melatonin at appropriate night bedtimes along with avoiding naps of over 20 minutes and exposure to sun in the morning upon awakening is the best way to function somewhat normally with this. I think I'm probably dealing with this and my body just wants to be up at night and sleep in the day. It takes an extraordinary amount of effort for me to stick with the stuff I suggested above for more normal sleep (the melatonin, nap, etc. stuff).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM

OMG you SO sound like me...I could have written your post word for word. I posted on here a few weeks ago asking if there were 'uppers' for fatigue :P

Here's my journey so far:

~ Bought Greens Plus smoothie for first thing in the morning - it REALLY helps
~ Started to go running...esp when I least feel like it. Ok, more like fast walking with some jags of running thrown in. I feel amazing after!
~ Chewable vitamins (I found an adult B and a multivite)

~ Here in Canada, medical is free, so I got a blood test a few days ago for EVERYthing including a thyroid scan, iron check, my doc threw in glucose
~ I got a referral to a sleep clinic to see if that's causing my fatigue

The best book I found - easy to read, very 'flip' friendly, is TIRED OF BEING TIRED - he has stages of burnout you can guage yourself at, and what to do abotu it. HIGHLY recommend!

Good luck - right there with ya!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 AM

Check out this thread: Is there a physical reason I am so lazy?

Yes, probably adrenals and/or thyroid.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 AM

I second the apnea suggestion. I felt this way when I was waking up to breathe every few seconds. I never got actual deep sleep, even though I could sleep 18 hours a day.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of good advice here. But they're right, we can't diagnose you, just give you ideas.

I checked out from the library an AWESOME book a few years ago called, "When Your Body Gets the Blues." And I just discovered they have a website and it even has a quiz you can take to decide if "the body blues" applies to you.

Anyway, the best part about it is that the treatment is 20 minutes per day of walking outdoors during daylight hours and a vitamin complex. Not hard and produces great results. s to you. Here's hoping that something so simple will be the right answer for you.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, there's a lot of stuff to address here, lol...

Krisis, nataliachick7, any other mamas-I hope you guys find solutions too, I know it sucks!

As to what I have tried, honestly, not a lot. I haven't had insurance for a while and we've been pretty broke to pay OOP for appts./supps. I'm trying to get ins. now though, so hopefully that will work out and I can get the tests I need. I've been skimming the thyroid/adrenals threads and the adrenal fatigue symptoms are soooo me. In fact reading all that makes me feel positive that is what is up... Especially how it starts, stress. I've been under constant stress for 4 years, everything you can think of, it's happened. Death in family, loss of home & cars, suicidal & toxic family members, job loss/financial problems, sick baby, etc... So I'm gonna try to get the Canary Club $99 test that I read about on there. Oh and there are no midwives around here, unfortunately.

Diet- Not that great, but not bad. I do have to fight sugar addiction ugh! I love it and it is a struggle to not buy and eat it. Also I've read some stuff about green smoothies, checked out the greensmoothiegirl website, and I picked up some baby spinach and frozen fruit. Hopefully that will help! Some of the combos sound scary but maybe I'll get used to it lol. And hopefully it'll work in a regular blender ebcause I don't have a vitamix or anything.

As to my cycles being normal or not, I have not a clue! I've had the copper IUD for about 14 months now and at first I bled like I was postpartum, seriously pouring for 3 weeks at a time, it was terrifying. And spotting all in between. Lately it's finally slowed and shortened a bit, but I still have no idea what my normal is, or if that could have anything to do with my problems. But I DO guess that brings up the possibility for anemia. I ha it in my first pregnancy. I guess the smoothies will help with that too, right? But even when I was anemic they gave me iron pills, the kind that I doubt is easily absorbed; I prolly needed other things with it too to help absorb, but yk doctors...

I've read all about fibromyalgia before because of the exhaustion, but I don't think that is it, I don't have pain problems with the 14(or how many?) pain points. And I might be deficient in B-12, I'll pick up the sublingual dots when I can, but I'm not having pain or numbness in my joints, hands, or feet. I don't know about sleep apnea, I just am really bad about sticking to a schedule and waking/sleeping at regular times. I think I breathe okay while I'm sleeping. But I guess I don't know that for sure huh?

I know I need to exercise but it is SO hard. When I do go on a walk I feel better for a while though, so I need to force myself to do it more often.

And might be OT, but does any of this have to do with EXTREME eye sensitivity to sunlight? I mean I am practically blinded outside, I have to keep my hand shading my eyes, even when it's only slightly sunny.

And BAU3, it's okay lol anyone can hijack if they have q's like me.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to talk about depression. Well, I don't think I am really depressed. Stressed yes, but the only reason I feel depressed sometimes is because eof my total lack of energy, and wanting to be out doing things instead of feeling like this. When I am feeling a little better, I feel fine. I truly am happy sometimes. I think I'd be great with a little more energy. But I guess that is just a convoluted way of saying I am, LOL! Just mild situational not severe clinical I guess?

I've read some about yeast too, I think I am going to get off wheat like a couple suggested. Or at least cut way back. It couldn't hurt, they're not really nutritious!

And I was being totally foggy about the B-12 and anemia! I had forgotten that deficiency is a type, pernicious anemia I believe. And I'm sure I could have it even without numbness & pain. Lol I don't think I even know what normal feels like so I don't know what all symptoms I have, it's been so dang long.

Thank you for that thread link, Wu-Wei! It was interesting and very helpful!

I am going to keep trying to get insurance and try a lot of these suggestions. I am probably deficient in a lot of stuff. And whenever I can get tests, I will definitely print this thread out! Especially your post, sbgrace. Thank you. If anyone else has any more suggestions I am totally listening. This does give me hope that is is SOMETHING and that I can figure it out.

User Tag List