Tinea Versicolor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any folks have experience with this stuff? It's essentially a non-contagious skin fungus that seems to really move in on some people... unfortunately, I'm one of 'em. I'm sick of the slight pink patches, and I don't want to look like a leopard come summer time..

In the past, I've used Selsun Blue topically on the rash, but not only does it stink and not really work, but I'm worried about it passing into the bloodstream and affecting the nurseling. He doesn't like the smell, either!

I actually saw a dermatologist about it and the best he could offer was an antibiotic prescription that would help "flush" it out. Not only can I not take it while nursing, but I'm not sure what an antibiotic can do for a fungal infection! Yikes.

Anyone have advice to keep me from morphing into the Leopard mama? Actually, I'm really sensitive to the skin discoloration is causes. It's embarrasing, and when it's bad, I feel a bit like a circus sideshow.

The only good thing about it is the name for the fungus: Malesezzia Furfur. Makes me laugh. :LOL
#2 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 08:32 PM

i am your tinea sister!! at first i was given lamisil (RX, now it is sold OTC for athlete's foot.) to apply topically, this was before joe was born, maybe 1998. then i got a prescription for a soap type stuff, you leave it on for 10 min. & then shower. i am using selsun blue now which is less effective but cheaper.

i don't like the skin discoloration either, it is bad on my neck back & stomach. & it ITCHES!! i wish it would go away but at least it is not too bad right now & the patchy places aren't TOO dark.

hope others chime in here. good luck.
#3 of 15 Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 PM

I've never experienced what you have, but I do know that oregano oil is effective for internal and external fungal infections. Pau d'arco is also effective internally and externally.

I have also heard of it being treated in a way that is similar to candida. Hope that helps!
#4 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:05 AM

my dh has this, how weird i was going to post about this...
well he to has been givin the stuff for the shower. and leave it on and wash it off. i read in the book at the store garlic is good and clostrum? its VERY expensive and tea tree oil i have herd is good. ive got my dh on some probotics, well see also looking for some good tea tee oil lotion. it really stinks he hates it

ill post more about what i read later...
#5 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:15 AM

for information purposes only! this post does not constitutes medical diagnosis or recommendation. please discuss all information with your physician.

had this many times during the very hot, very humid summers in MObile, AL. particularly got it on my back, arms, when i would work "TAD" in Gitmo, Cuba, which is hella hot, hella humid, and quite prone to all kinds of fungal thingies. i think some people call this "sun fungus," as you can get it by wearing sweat-soaked clothing in the sun.

i usually had a Selsun shampoo solution (Selenium Sulfide, i thnk), prescrption strength, which i put on for 15 minutes before showering off. have been using OTC Selsun Blue from time to time, the same way, with some results. 7 days was the usual treatment, and it would start going away in 6. naturally, i kept going back for more, year in, year out. no discomfort, i just thought it looked yucky.

a dermatologist here in NC gave me the atom bomb for this: Ketaconazole. it's a pill that apparently turns the sweat into a poison that kills the fungal infection. her prescription (i kid you not): take the tablets, work out heavily, leave the perspiration on my body no less than 8 hours, then wash off. repeat a week later.

it worked. it stank. i don't do it more than once or twice a year if i really "need" it.

bring it up with your doc. mght be your remedy. as for breastfeeding adn doing this treatment ... i would doubt it. sorry. ask for the prescrption strength Selsun stuff. ask dh to smooth it lovingly on the back nightly ... then keep the habit going with other stuff?
#6 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I'm so amazed that I'm not the only spotted homosapien out there.....

I'm intrigued especially with more natural remedies. Probiotics have diminished the intensity some, but with the (hopeful) coming of warmer weather, I know it's spot battle time again..

david, I worked in Nepal during the monsoon season, and it was never as bad as then... oh my gosh.

And Joesmom, I hear ya on the itch. Especially around the nursing bra band, which because of my bountiful milk cartons (poetic, eh?) never, ever comes off. Well, I have a few, but you get the idea...

Looking forward to hearing more ideas! Is the oregano topical, btw? Do I sprinkle myself like a pizza? :LOL
#7 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 12:25 PM

Is the oregano topical, btw? Do I sprinkle myself like a pizza?
lol, not really. Actually the oregano you would use for pizza is not really true oregano. It's spanish thyme, or thymol. You can get true oregano (oreganum vulgare) in softgels or liquid extract. It's intended to be used as an internal remedy, but you can use it topically, although it is very strong and pungent.

I used to use it for my son when he had ear infections. One drop in juice everyday for a couple days cleared up the infection. I never did use it topically though, but I have known people that have.
#8 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Oil of oregano is good stuff. but imo if you are going to be rubbing it on your body, dilute with olive oil. Its really strong stuff.

I second P'au darco/taheebo just be sure to get from a reputable company so that you know you are getting the real stuff. Also needs to steep 8-10 minutes to release the medicinal property(cant remember the name).
#9 of 15 Old 02-18-2004, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think I can use the oregano oil b/c the worst of the rash is under my breastline, and DS won't nurse (or might be upset) if I smell strongly. He really objects to the selsun blue smell (as do I), so I think anything stronger might not be okay.

I'm intrigued by p'au d'arco... tell me more, if you will...
#10 of 15 Old 02-18-2004, 03:39 AM

Island momma, maybe try some calendula oil or cream. It is anti fungal and very pleasant.
If you get real itchy some zinc oxide might soothe it too.
ditto on the probiotics. HTH!s
#11 of 15 Old 02-23-2004, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping in hopes that Ray may drop by and weigh in on the best probiotic course and relation to this gunk. I have to believe there is one.

Also, does anyone know the best way to topically apply tea tree and lavender? Oils seem to aggravate it....

I'm trying DS's Weleda Calendula cream, as we speak... it does relieve any itching, but the rash is still there in it's spotty glory.
#12 of 15 Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 PM

heres some info on Pau D'arco. While searching for some on-line info I've noticed quite a few sites that are sayinf Pau D'arco can be dangerous if taken in large doses, and may make you nauseous. This info is definately worth looking into more. I dont have any experiences with side effects.
I think an external tea would work if you dont want to take internally.

http://www.femhealth.com/Lapacho.html
http://www.allnatural.net/herbpages/pau-d-arco.shtml
http://www.curezone.com/foods/lapacho.html
#13 of 15 Old 08-11-2004, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspalding
for information purposes only! this post does not constitutes medical diagnosis or recommendation. please discuss all information with your physician.

had this many times during the very hot, very humid summers in MObile, AL. particularly got it on my back, arms, when i would work "TAD" in Gitmo, Cuba, which is hella hot, hella humid, and quite prone to all kinds of fungal thingies. i think some people call this "sun fungus," as you can get it by wearing sweat-soaked clothing in the sun.

i usually had a Selsun shampoo solution (Selenium Sulfide, i thnk), prescrption strength, which i put on for 15 minutes before showering off. have been using OTC Selsun Blue from time to time, the same way, with some results. 7 days was the usual treatment, and it would start going away in 6. naturally, i kept going back for more, year in, year out. no discomfort, i just thought it looked yucky.

a dermatologist here in NC gave me the atom bomb for this: Ketaconazole. it's a pill that apparently turns the sweat into a poison that kills the fungal infection. her prescription (i kid you not): take the tablets, work out heavily, leave the perspiration on my body no less than 8 hours, then wash off. repeat a week later.

it worked. it stank. i don't do it more than once or twice a year if i really "need" it.

bring it up with your doc. mght be your remedy. as for breastfeeding adn doing this treatment ... i would doubt it. sorry. ask for the prescrption strength Selsun stuff. ask dh to smooth it lovingly on the back nightly ... then keep the habit going with other stuff?
Hi, I just read your post and I believe it is the same pills I took as well. It didn't work for me. I did want to mention that the Dr. told me it could be damaging to the liver. I would check with your Dr. If you are doing it once or twice a year.
#14 of 15 Old 08-13-2004, 01:12 AM

my dh has it, and here are our suggestions: neem oil externally daily (it's strong and bitter, but some kids/babes i know don't mind bitters the way adults do), chapparal tincture or salve externally, avoid yeasts, try a yeast-free/reduced diet, cleanse the liver/colon, avoid beer (dh can't do this!), coffee (dh can't do this either lol!), move to a dry climate, sun often, usnea moss extract/salve externally, what else? that's all i'm coming up with right now. since this is an older thread, i'll wait to ask dh what i'm forgetting until i know if anyone is still interested. better yet, maybe dh will jump in and comment. hth!

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#15 of 15 Old 08-30-2004, 07:40 PM

I have this too, it started showing up a couple years ago and I have noticed that it seems to be stress related sometimes, in that I get more spots during stressful times. Also a couple winters ago I stopped eating dairy and that seemed to help, unfortunately I couldn't (and can't) keep that up. It's the cheese I can't resist - I never drink milk! Thanks for your recommendations, sprinkle pocket and I'm interested in anything else you have The only time it really bothers me is the summer because you can see it so well, my spots don't tan like the rest of me!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page