Epsom salt baths?!! GRRRR I don't get it... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
This is totally bothering me...there's another mechanism here and I can feel it at the back of my brain and can't get it. I haven't cracked a book yet, but I will later if I continue to fail in my retrieval effort. There is something ELSE that happens when epsom salts make you go haywire. I asked another practitioner and she had a blank as well. We just stared at each other like idiots. We could both remember there was something but couldn't access it. Anyone? If I have to look it up I will....
The sulfate stirring up toxins?

Does the oxalate connection go the other way - if there's no bad reaction (or no reaction at all) to the epsom salts, then there's no oxalate issue? Not that I'd expect it to be that simple, but one can hope...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#32 of 43 Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
Thanks for your input! Does supplementing your son w/B6 actually allow him to tolerate higher doses of mag? How does a 2.5 yo have high antimony levels? How was that tested for? Hope I'm not being too nosy but I know next to nothing about most of this! Any info would be much appreciated!
Sorry, forgot to come back to this thread .

Antimony is in the flame retardants used in kids PJs, baby sleepers, and crib/bed mattresses (and carpets, furniture foam...). And little kids absorb it faster through their skin than adults. Most kids detox it fine - my little guy doesn't. (He and his sister slept on the same bed, she has no antimony load, his is 95+ percentile bad at 2 years old, diagnosed via hair test).

Based on what I've seen in the allergies forum, I'd say that anyone with a child with low mag symptoms that don't seem to turn around pretty fast with mag supps should do a hair test and look for antimony. To give you some idea, I need to give my son about 300mg a day of mag (spread out in 4 doses), along with about 15-20mg a day of p5p (active b6, also spread out into 4 doses), to keep his low mag symptoms at bay. And that's just what he gets direct, he also get some through my breastmilk (he still nurses plenty).

I can give my son as much mag as I want, and it will be next to useless (he'll still have low mag symptoms) without the b6. Antimony inhibits the body utilizing mag (it gets into the blood, but can't get absorbed into cells where it is needed). B6 helps mag get into the cells. So generally for us, he runs out of b6 before he runs out of mag. But they work together really synergistically.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#33 of 43 Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you so much for clarifying! Is diarrhea from a tiny dose of mag considered to be a symptom of low mag or a deficiency in a co-factor or both? I am going to try supp'ing w/ P5P...I bought a powder that has all the B's in it...is this ok too? Is there a way to rid the body of excess antimony?

Thanks again for your input!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#34 of 43 Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Thank-you so much for clarifying! Is diarrhea from a tiny dose of mag considered to be a symptom of low mag or a deficiency in a co-factor or both?
First, a lot depends on the form and how well it's absorbed. My tolerance for mag oxide is really low, mag citrate is higher, and natural calm is highest. And I only really feel the effect by taking a pretty high dose of natural calm.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#35 of 43 Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM

Mamafish9 is dealing with high antimony in her DS right now. She is chelating him. I'll let her tell you more about that though since I'm um... obviously not the one to talk about it.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#36 of 43 Old 11-30-2009, 03:23 AM

OK, back - sorry folks, I keep forgetting to check back .

I'm using zeolite, on an Andy Cutler type protocol - two drops every four hours for 2.5 days, then 4.5 days off. My DS is 2.5, he tested 95%+ bad for antimony levels (and arsenic was high as well, which often comes along with antimony). We did pee tests before we started the zeolite, and then a pee test during a zeolite round - and we get 10x the amount of antimony out of him using the zeolite, which is HUGE for such a small amount of zeolite. Zeolite definitely doesn't mobilize for everyone, but it definitely is for us. I can tell we're still pulling antimony because every time we're on the zeolite, his magnesium needs increase (antimony messes with magnesium).

Cutler says to pull antimony with methylation supps - methyl b12, folate, etc - basically encouraging the body to rid itself of the antimony. But my DS tends to react badly to too many methylating supps, and the antimony gets things going a lot faster for us. I want the stuff out of him, so that we're not constantly fighting low magnesium symptoms (and they may have played a role in some of the starch/carb intolerance issues we were having as well).

ETA: We're also doing a lot of supporting supps - plenty of Bs with extra P5P(active B6), C, a little fermented CLO (and a lot through me), E, butter for K, lots of fish for omega 3s, mag, and milk thistle. (He swallows capsules now, thanks be...).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#37 of 43 Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
People who have oxalate issues have the opposite affect from epsom salt soaks. It generally revs kids up beyond the point of control. It can also be uncomfortable for them. But yeah, lots of people report it's like giving their kids espresso and depriving them of sleep all at the same time.

You can certainly work on co-factors and see if that brings relief.
Quote:

It is interesting that my 2 eldest kids (my eldest has aspergers and my middle child is spectrum-y) are far more negatively affected by the epsom salts than my third child who actually appears soporific after her bath!
I went to a conference and listened to a presentation on Oxalates and specifically its relation to autism. It was very interesting. The magnesium should actually help the oxalate issue if taken with the meal. Taking mag citrate with a meal will allow the oxalates in the food to bind with the mag instead of storing in your body. The great energy could be a result of feeling better.....

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#38 of 43 Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
I went to a conference and listened to a presentation on Oxalates and specifically its relation to autism. It was very interesting. The magnesium should actually help the oxalate issue if taken with the meal. Taking mag citrate with a meal will allow the oxalates in the food to bind with the mag instead of storing in your body. The great energy could be a result of feeling better.....
An interesting point but I don't think this is it in our case. First, my son has a super limited diet and I don't think the oxalate content is that high in the foods he does eat. Second, the kind of hyperactivity I'm talking about is not simply increased energy. I can take super energetic games if kids are happily playing together, make believe games, or just have excess energy from not going outside on a rainy day....no, this is kids becoming over aggressive, combative, destructive when it is not in their nature under normal circumstances.

I *think* that the vitamin B6 may be making a difference...can someone tell me if B6 could do this? I've been giving my kids about 10 mg of p5p/day. The serving size is 35mg but I wanted to start slowly. My son is now up to about 200mg mag glycinate a day w/out diarrhea (previously even 100mg produced clear liquid diarrhea) AND I swear the epsom salt bath last night caused my 2 elder kids to become slightly *very slightly* soporific....at least he wasn't spiraling out of control. I started the B6 supplementation about a week ago could it work this fast?

#39 of 43 Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

yes, it can work that fast.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#40 of 43 Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Any new updates?

PB, can you think of the other factor you mentioned?

I've recently started DS on epsom salts baths in AM and he's doing well. We had been doing many months of just magnesium chloride baths. He doesn't do well on oral mag. But he really needs the sulfur for food chemical intolerances so that is why I started ES.
#41 of 43 Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not PB, but I'm the OP. I started giving my ds vit B supp w/the mag. It seemed to be working but it was either a fluke that lasted for a week or something else changed and my ds again became intolerant to even the smallest amt of oral mag. I dropped the ES and went back to sea salts. My ds responds much better to these for whatever reason. We have a family history of autoimmune diseases, eczema, food allergies etc etc. My son is showing def. signs of this along w/OCD...Hope you have better luck w/the ES than we did!

#42 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM

wrong thread.

I have a blog.
#43 of 43 Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 AM

I'm late to this question...by 8 years. ha! But I thought I'd share this because I found it very helpful.

http://www.feingold.org/DOCS/EpsomSalts.pdf‎

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page