3 yr old with red painful tip of penis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 yr old ds just started complaining that his penis hurts, so I thought maybe he just had to go pee. When he was peeing he said he penis hurt while he was peeing. It is red right at the tip. My older ds has had a red tipped penis (both are uncirc'd) without any pain and the pediatrician has seen it and said it's just a mild irritation/infection and we should just try to keep it clean in there.

I'm guessing it's not yeast but bacterial. I have not been to see a Dr. about this particular incident since it just started and today is Saturday (of course) and I'm thinking it'll be easy to clear it up before it gets any worse.

I have spent the last hour searching the web and not finding what I'm looking for. Anyone here have advice? Home remedies to help a little penis feel better?

Warm bath?
Tea tree oil?
Vinegar?
???

Thanks so much for any advice here.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#2 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM

I like calendula oil or possibly succus (if you dilute it) for genital irritation. Colloidal silver is also generally successful used topically. I would either get it in a spray bottle (just make sure it's a good brand) or put some in some water and let him soak his penis in it. I would probably also try homeopathic cantharis or apis for the redness/burning.

My son had an abscess at the tip of the penis and I gave ant tart homeopathically (fit the picture at the time) as well as mixed up calendula succus, raw honey and goldenseal. I applied it as a paste to the abscess. It worked wonderfully and took his pain away immediately. You could do something like that if you felt it was necessary...but I'm guessing calendula on it's own would be enough.

Best of luck to you both.
#3 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Is there any possibility that somebody's forcibly retracted him? Or has he been messing around with trying to retract himself?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Is there any possibility that somebody's forcibly retracted him? Or has he been messing around with trying to retract himself?
Definitely not that. I think it's just irritated from pee getting stuck under the foreskin.

#5 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Having pee under there wont cause irritation. It could be something bacterial or yeast or it could be part of the seperation process. To read more about that go here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

Is it the tip of the foreskin or tip of the glans red? If it is the glans then to see it retraction is happening so that is bad. The glans of the normal intact penis are supposed to be red/purple in color like inside the mouth. If it is the tip of the foreskin ignore the previous

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM

This has happened to my boys before. First line of defense for me is to put them in a warm bath with baking soda.

Hth.

Mama to my 2 boys
#7 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM

My boys get this sometimes and I finally put it together that it happens when they attempt to retract themselves (basically just playing around with it but manage to pull a little too hard.) Usually it hurts bad for an afternoon and is better by a.m.
Laura

Laura
Mom to three
#8 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what I know:

The tip of the foreskin is red.

It still occasionally bothers him - he mentioned it twice yesterday, but whatever it is isn't bad enough for him to complain about all the time.

His foreskin isn't retracting yet and I have actually almost never seen him play with it.

He took a warm bath yesterday with a little tea tree oil.

I still think it's a little bacterial infection, but whatever it is, hopefully will clear up quickly on its own.

Thanks for all the info, ladies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page