stomach bug, can't keep food or liquid down! suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-18-2004, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd - 18 mos, has some sort of stomach bug, she's willing to drink but vomits it back up. any suggestions how to get it to stay down?
thanks
#2 of 4 Old 02-18-2004, 05:37 PM

Still nursing??? If so, just bf her through this. Don't give her anything else but bmilk (no water, no electrolytes, no formula). She shoudl quit doing it in a day or two.

Make sure she's not dehydrated. If you have to, put a tissue in her diaper to find out how often she's urinating.

If she's vomiting right after nursing (like 10 seconds! or even a minute after), try not giving her anything for 30 minutes or so and then nurse again.

I've been through this twice now. Once when dd was 18 months and once when she was 26 months old.
#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2004, 11:17 PM

try the homeopathic: nux vomica (i recomend inthe strength of 30c, but whatever form you can get your hands on....)
i got food piosoning and a horrible tummy flu twice while preg., it saved me....otherwise i would have had to go tothe er for dehydration..i could not keep water down.....
i popped 3 in my mouth and with in 15 minutes could drink mild broth (miso in water) i suggest you try with your dd.
just pop one pill in her mouth, (they disolve) wait 15 min. and do another, wait 15 min and trysome spoon fulls of miso broth (that is a teaspoon of miso in 2 cups of warm water, it will ease her tummy and stay down better than water alone...)
you can't OD on homeopathics and you can't have adverse reactions with them, they just might not work for her body type, there is NO harm trying it.
like i said it saved me several times.
good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 02-18-2004, 11:36 PM

If you're not still BF'ing or she vomits up even the BM, try expressing milk and feeding it to her by the tablespoon. No more than 1-3 tbsp per hour. If not expressed milk, you miight try the dreaded pedialyte or some fresh ginger tea. Heck, even flat gingerale if she can keep it down. The key is to give her very small quantities so her body will tolerate it. The ginger will help with the nausea. Hope she's on the mend soon!!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page