103 fever/vomiting 8yoDS - WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel kinda silly posting this, but the truth is, he's never been "sick" like this and he's never had a fever this high before and I am not sure what to do (or if I need to do anything at this point).

My son is almost 8 and has been running a fever and vomiting all day. This morning, I thought the vomiting was just due to sinus drainage into his tummy. The vomit was all mucusy, so I was fairly confident that that is what it was, but now I am not so sure. He hasn't eaten much (though I've been trying to make sure he's drinking) and after dinner (he only ate a few bites) he threw it ALL up, and whatever liquid he'd been taking in as well.

His fever started at 101.7 this morning (about 7AM) and has gone up since then. He felt better earlier, but is MUCH more sedate than normal - I mean, this kid is extremely high-energy and he's sitting quietly on the couch next to me. I haven't snuggled with him to watch TV in YEARS. I don't know how much of an indicator behavior is, but this is way out of the ordinary for my kiddo.

Now (7PM) his fever is at 103. I gave him some motrin a little while ago. I am finding conflicting info online - some sites say that 103 is a "common" fever and can wait till morning, some sites say that 103 needs a doc. Do I just wait and see if that has an effect, or should I do anything else right now?
(update - it is coming down a bit - 102.4 now (7:25PM))

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

~h tea6.gif
wife to shamrocksmile.gifShamrocks (8-8-99)
slightly crunchy homeschooling AP mama to biggrinbounce.gifLittleBoyBlue(2001) & goldfish.gifPeaGreen(2003)
angel.gifmissing our babe (6/2009)
fly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gif novaxnocirc.gif  mdcblog5.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM

I am probably the lame duck here but CALL THE DOCTOR. It makes me so nervous when I see moms of sick kids ask medical advice from strangers (like me, LOL!) on the web as opposed to an MD or at least nurse.

Your son is 8, has "never" been sick before AND has been vomiting *all day* and has a temp of 103?? Call the doctor. Most practices have 24 hour on call docs to speak to. The good news is the temp is coming down due the motrin. The bad news is that much vomiting can lead to dehydration. He is even vomiting up any liquid he ingests so even a better chance of dehydaration.

Please, we are not doctors and even if we were the UA does not allow for medical advice.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Please, we are not doctors and even if we were the UA does not allow for medical advice.
It can't hurt to call.

My kids get fevers of 103 sometimes. Fevers typically get higher at night. Watch for dehydration.
#4 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 PM

plus think how bad you would feel if the genreal consensus was "Don't worry about it" and then your son ends up in the ER needing 3 bags of fluids.

Or if everyone pushed the panic button, you end up sitting in the ER for hours and by that time the fever is down, he has kept down his liquids and is feeling much better. You are out the ER copay, are exhausted and still have to drive back home.

no win. call/talk to a professional

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

To be clear, I am not asking for medical advice. I am asking "what would YOU do". That, to me is a HUGE difference. If I thought that something was seriously wrong with my child, I would NOT be online asking what other moms might do in this situation. I would have bypassed that completely and taken him to the doctor or ER. I'm not a complete idiot

I am not a "panicky" type. I'm not ready to rush him to the ER just yet. My instinct is that he's fine - sick, to be sure, but overall, he's allright. I am comfortable, at this point, to continue watching him and seeing how he progresses over the next few hours. If his condition worsens or he develops some new symptom that is indicative of a larger problem, rest assured I WILL seek appropriate care by a medical professional.

I just thought that I would see what other moms might do, thinking that I may find suggestions for alternatives to motrin to bring a fever down or homeopathic immune system boosters something like that. I certainly didn't think I'd be flamed for even asking or have it insinuated that BY asking in a forum instead of calling his pedi that I was neglecting my child.

FWIW, I have been given suggested treatment advice BY the pedi's office that turned out to be the wrong course of action as well, so in my experience, just because you have "RN" or "MD" behind your name doesn't make you infallible.

Maybe I should have been more clear in what I was looking for.

~h tea6.gif
slightly crunchy homeschooling AP mama to biggrinbounce.gifLittleBoyBlue(2001) & goldfish.gifPeaGreen(2003)
#6 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 AM

We've seen high fevers (and fevers like that will change behavior/wipe kids out) with illness here. You do have to watch dehydration. Read up on the signs of that and take action if you're struggling with hydration.

But I'm going to say that you have to listen to your instinct. When my son was seriously ill I just knew something wasn't ok even though, outwardly, things weren't different than other illnesses we had seen.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 AM

It sounds like the flu to me--H1N1, because the other seasonal flu hasn't come around yet.

I have 3 kids, and they have all had the flu many times over the years, and often do have a fever this high. The fact that he is throwing up and has the high fever--that sounds like H1N1, which many of my friends kids have had already here (we are in CA).

If you notice distressed breathing or your child becoming more and more listless, then call the doctor or take him to the ER, but otherwise, you just have to let this run it's course.

Hugs,
Lisa
#8 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah, dehydration is the big worry. I give my kids Gatorade because it replenishes the electrolytes (Pedialyte is similar but my kids think Gatorade tastes better)....I have them take really small sips every half hour or hour. If they can't keep even that down, then we head to the ER.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - dehydration has been my main worry as well. I have a recipe for a replenishment drink - has anyone tried that over gatorade or pedialyte? I know some moms use similar drinks in labor, but I haven't seen anything for kids.

He's sleeping now and his fever has gone down into less worrisome numbers. I think that's attributed mainly to the motrin.

We haven't had the flu or H1N1, so that will be a totally new experience for us if that's what it is. I have several friends who have kids who've had swine flu, and they've come through it fine. I guess time will tell!

~h tea6.gif
#10 of 11 Old 11-26-2009, 11:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hopefully he's feeling better today.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#11 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 PM

DD (7) had the exact same symptoms with the swine flu. I stayed up all night rehydrating her--it paid off. I gave her elderberry lozenges and the fever went down to 99-100 on the second day and was gone by the third. She also started eating by the end of the second day--popsickles, soup, etc.

Sometimes vomiting could be a sign of a bacterial infection like strep or pneumonia in children. If the fever persists and your child is feeling really tired, I would go to the ER right away.

Healing wishes going your way!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page