Recurring mastitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have this? Anyone know how to deal with this?

I had this dozens of times in my 20's, was treated with antibiotics and finally surgery. Neither seemed to help. Then I didn't have any mastitis for about 8-9 years and now it's back. 3 times in the last 3 months.

The doctors just want to prescribe more antibiotics or have me see another surgeon. I want neither! I had a mammogram and u/s last month to rule out cancer, much to my relief.

What else can I do?

BTW, I am nursing now, but not on the breast that has the mastitis. My daughter doesn't nurse much now anyway, she's 2.5 yrs old. The side that always gets the mastitis, and that had the surgery, was never able to produce much milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 07:03 PM

Here's what the LLL site says about repeated cases of mastitis:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Usually repeated cases is from not totally getting rid of the original infection. Also, it seems as though women who have had breast trauma (which includes surgery) do suffer from mastitis more.

You may want to call your local LLL Leader to see if she has ideas and suggestions for how to get rid of the mastitis without meds. I'm sure she'll suggest nursing from the affected side often. If you can't do that then you may want to pump. It's important to remove as much milk as possible from that breast.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Ouch! Good for you for still breastfeeding after all your breasts have been through
I dont know if I could handle it.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 PM

I didn't have years in between my mastitis but started with a bit of redness and swelling in the first week after Oscar was born. The midwife only told me to try feeding in different positions... 5 weeks later (on Christmas eve) I was in the A and E having the abcess that had developed sutured (with only a local). I cried and screamed so much that I'm sure they didn't clean me out properly because dispite my repeated antibiotics I was back in hospital two weeks later where I refused to let them touch me unless they put me under. I was away from my 8 week old for 3 days and could do nothing but cry for the guilt I felt. They worried quite a bit about the continuing redness on my breast and I think I was put on more than 10 courses of antibiotics before Oscar turned 1. My immune system was so shocked that it couldn't deal with a pimple on my finger. A homeopathic doctor/friend eventually gave me something to fix my immune system and I haven't been on antibiotics now for a year!!!

I'm afraid this really isn't helpful at all, a bit of a rant really. As it really is just a horrible infection, can you take it easy and try to fight it off yourself? I don't suppose you're engorged from not feeding on that side as you don't produce much milk there, I remember intense pain at feeding or trying to pump. Try massaging your breast to help drain anything stuck in your ducts. Gee, I can't think of what else I was told.

It is rather disappointing to hear that the scars from my past two surgeries may hamper future breastfeeding, but I still bf and there seem to be no complaints about milk production.

I hope this thing sorts itself out,
good luck and good health!!

User Tag List