Burning, puffy, red face 2 evenings in a row. UPDATE w/ TEST RESULTS #42 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really know nothing about this but hoping to share some back of the brain knowledge. I have read on htis sit about using lots of Vit C (SA), pascalite clay, and/or homeopathic remedies. Maybe magnesium.
#32 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM

But tahini is in hummus. Tahini IS ground up sesame seeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

As far as I know all hummus is made with tahini. Unless you make a different version at home with just the beans, garlic and olive oil.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#33 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 PM

It's possible your continued issues are because you are consuming trace amounts of the allergen in food still. Caleb reacted to foods he never struggled with before after his ana episode as I think it further sensitized him to trace nuts.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#34 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I really know nothing about this but hoping to share some back of the brain knowledge. I have read on htis sit about using lots of Vit C (SA), pascalite clay, and/or homeopathic remedies. Maybe magnesium.
I'm off to look those up. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
But tahini is in hummus. Tahini IS ground up sesame seeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

As far as I know all hummus is made with tahini. Unless you make a different version at home with just the beans, garlic and olive oil.
good to know! Sounds like I have a lot of research to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
It's possible your continued issues are because you are consuming trace amounts of the allergen in food still. Caleb reacted to foods he never struggled with before after his ana episode as I think it further sensitized him to trace nuts.
sounds pretty likly at this point. It's become clear that I know nothing about what I'm eating from the last few replies here! I woke up with red cheeks again this morning. So far nothing more. Last night I was having some stomach issues (bloating, pain, nausea) and it's probably safe to say something I ate was a culprit. I read labels careful for nuts but, who knows.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#35 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post

sounds pretty likly at this point. It's become clear that I know nothing about what I'm eating from the last few replies here! I woke up with red cheeks again this morning. So far nothing more. Last night I was having some stomach issues (bloating, pain, nausea) and it's probably safe to say something I ate was a culprit. I read labels careful for nuts but, who knows.
The problem is that they have to label of a product contains tree nuts. They don't have to label if it runs on equipment that handled tree nuts. And trace of tree nuts is enough. So you have to call (I learned this myself...my flours, chicken broth, oils all share equip. with tree nuts with no labels indicating that).

Then sesame doesn't have to be labeled at all (ingredient or shared line/equipment).

What I would do is eat whole foods, no grains, no prepared (baked potato, chicken, fruit for example) until you can call and check with companies. I think I read general mills labels their cereals for sesame and manufactured with but I'm not sure. Almost all our food shares lines with either tree nuts or sesame.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#36 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM

It looks like your in Washington State. Get your name on the Basic Health waiting list. I have no idea of the wait. I've been on since September. But, still it's a step towards insurance.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#37 of 51 Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachBums View Post
It looks like your in Washington State. Get your name on the Basic Health waiting list. I have no idea of the wait. I've been on since September. But, still it's a step towards insurance.
been on it since June or so. I was around number 40,000 then. I've heard that they aren't even going to touch the list until after the newyear. In addition the way they hope to open up funds to allow waiters on to the list is to double existing premiums. Basically they assume people already on the program wont be able to afford the new premiums and will terminate and open up a spot for a waiter OR that after several months the raised premiums will drum up enough money to afford to move some of the waiters onto the program. I know they don't always accept everyone either. Apparently they look into existing medical issues. If you do get on they don't cover pre-existing for the first 6 months. I soooooo wish I qualified for medicaid through DSHS!

#38 of 51 Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm now 8 days out from my first reaction and I still feel like hell. I've been trying to do quality control with my intake but, I don't know how well thats going.

Last night a sinus infection cropped up and this morning I woke with my neck and jaw even more swollen and painful than the day before. In addition, my salivary area on the left side is in serious pain. I can't chew... too painful. I have to mush food around between my tongue and the roof of my mouth instead. Every time I clench my jaw or press on the area around where the earlobe and back point of the lower jaw come together I experience a terrible pain and lots of pressure. My neck still hurts all the way around (swollen, tight, and hard). My back is still giving me quite a bit of trouble as well (cramping and general soreness), and my stomach is a mess. Everything makes me feel ill or seems to give me stomach cramps.

When does it end!?!?

#39 of 51 Old 12-20-2009, 07:47 PM

how're you faring now OP?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#40 of 51 Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
how're you faring now OP?
well, the last couple weeks were rough. I was feeling closer to normal here lately... untill......

I actually just posted in the allergy sub forum about stupid starbucks pumpkin spice latte (I actually had a steamer, not a latte). I asked them if it had any kind of trace of any nuts in it. They read some labels and said no. So I figured that if it were just some minor trace amounts or the slight possibility of shared equiptment that I'd be ok. Well, by the time I drove home I had sores on the sides of my tongue (never burned myself on it) and now my tongue is swollen a bit and my throat hurts.

I'm an idiot and so are starbucks workers.

I guess I really can't eat or drink a darn thing until I sort things out at my jan 6th allergy appointment that I can't afford. Merry Christmas to meeeee!!

thank you for asking. Very kind of you.

#41 of 51 Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Some of their lattes have tree nuts. All you need is a trace left on machinery.

#42 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally got in to the allergist. My life just got even more complicated. Just when I (along with my doc and the ER doc who treated one of my reactions) thought I had this figured out, life has thrown me another curve. I did the skin tests for several kinds of nuts, spices, any other frequently or recently consumed foods, or common allergy causing foods, and environmental stuff. In total they tested me for 70 diffferent things.

NONE of them reacted. NONE!!

I can't afford to just test randomly for zillions of things. The allergist was WONDERFUL and chopped my bill from around $1000 and just charged me an existing patient (which I wasn't), discounted, office visit of $181!! He didn't even tell me he was going to do it. He told the billing person then went off to his next appointment. He did agree that since we now have no current leads it wouldn't be cost effective for me to keep testing before having another strong lead. In the mean time he told me to continue to stay away from nuts for awhile just in case. He wrote me a lab slip for a blood test that can be done while having an allergic reaction to definatly tell if that is what is going on.

He mentioned some sort of condition where a person's body is weakened and it has an allergic reaction to basically nothing but there is no way to tell if that was what was going on at this point. I brought up my lyme tests with him and he seemed curious but, didn't have any connective knowledge there. I'm still in the dark as to wether I have chronic lyme or not. 2 "slightly elevated" titers proving a past of exposure (with no treatment) but neg western.

#43 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 AM

Is the test called serum tryptase? Make sure you contact the hospital PRIOR to needing the test to make sure they know it's not serum tryptin... I recently had a friend whose bloodwork was messed up with this accident and now she needs to wait for another reaction to rule out anaphylaxis.

eta: so sorry you got no answers. Hoping the best for you.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#44 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
He mentioned some sort of condition where a person's body is weakened and it has an allergic reaction to basically nothing but there is no way to tell if that was what was going on at this point. I brought up my lyme tests with him and he seemed curious but, didn't have any connective knowledge there. I'm still in the dark as to wether I have chronic lyme or not. 2 "slightly elevated" titers proving a past of exposure (with no treatment) but neg western.
Don't push this aside then. Lyme seems to be the answer to many of my health issues. Treating has finally given me relief. Perhaps test again or maybe check in with the lyme group thread.
#45 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Had you been on any benedryl, steroids or antihistamines the 7 days before the skin testing? It would make the testing invalid/inaccurate.

Pat

I have a blog.
#46 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Had you been on any benedryl, steroids or antihistamines the 7 days before the skin testing? It would make the testing invalid/inaccurate.

Pat
This.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#47 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
nope. Just pre-natals and vit D. The only other thing I may have taken within 7 days is an over the counter pain med for a migraine. Besides that, the test site did react... wouldn't that prove I'm able to react or would that react regardless?

#48 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Is the test called serum tryptase? Make sure you contact the hospital PRIOR to needing the test to make sure they know it's not serum tryptin... I recently had a friend whose bloodwork was messed up with this accident and now she needs to wait for another reaction to rule out anaphylaxis.

eta: so sorry you got no answers. Hoping the best for you.
and now I can't seem to find the lab slip...

#49 of 51 Old 12-27-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Don't push this aside then. Lyme seems to be the answer to many of my health issues. Treating has finally given me relief. Perhaps test again or maybe check in with the lyme group thread.
I've already had 3 tests in the last 4 months. My doc was ready to drop it after the 2nd. I don't think he'll agree to another one. He is the only doc I can see under the charity program I'm working with. I've thought about going the Igenex route but, it's just really not in the budget. I think I could get my doc to agree to order the lab for the Igenex since it would be my expense but, the fact that it is my expense means I can't get it.

I've been studying up on lyme since my first test came back wonky. It would seem to answer a lot of currently unanswered questions.

#50 of 51 Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Just throwing out something weird... did you get a Xmas tree when this all started? I've known of several people reacting to their trees IRL, including my mother. Whether it was the tree or the pesticide stuff they sprayed on it we still don't know.

All tests are not necessarily accurate. I would go for RAST blood testing if you can.
#51 of 51 Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Just throwing out something weird... did you get a Xmas tree when this all started? I've known of several people reacting to their trees IRL, including my mother. Whether it was the tree or the pesticide stuff they sprayed on it we still don't know.

All tests are not necessarily accurate. I would go for RAST blood testing if you can.
I can't afford any blood testing for allergies unfortunatly. I used a small fake tree that I've had for a few years. I put it up a couple weeks before all of this happened.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page