Ear infection combined with (unrelated) 2nd degree burns - antibiotics? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Ear infection combined with (unrelated) 2nd degree burns - antibiotics?
VeganC's Avatar VeganC 01:45 AM 12-12-2009
My daughter spilled freshly boiled tea on her chest yesterday, resulting in 2nd degree burns on her chest. I had just made myself a cup of tea, set it up on the desk, and she wanted some. I told her to wait because it was hot and I would save her the last few sips once it was cool. I thought it was out of her reach. I turned around to change my son's diaper because he had just pooped, and I heard her screaming and I looked over and she was jumping around and screaming really strangely. I didn't know what had happened, so I went to her and felt that her shirt was hot and wet so I stripped her clothes off and her skin was already peeling. I called 911 and I started splashing cool water on her. I was here on my own and my son was screaming in the other room. I called my dad and he got here as quick as he could, shortly before the ambulance. I held my daughter the whole time we were in the ambulance and at the hospital.
She's doing a lot better today. She was prescribed tyenol with codeine to manage the pain, and she's got an antibiotic salve that I need to put on the burns once a day, when I change the dressing.
My question is, the day before she got burned, she was diagnosed with a minor ear infection in her right ear. I was trying to treat it with garlic oil, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give her the antibiotics because she's got so much going on, or if I should keep up with the garlic oil and have her checked on Sunday (her pediatrician runs a clinic on the weekends). I'm leaning towards sticking with the garlic oil, but my mom thinks I should give her the antibiotics.
Any thoughts?
ETA: She hasn't shown any signs or symptoms of the ear infection, other than being sensitive to loud noises, but she always has been. No fever, either.

Mrshawwk's Avatar Mrshawwk 10:44 PM 12-12-2009
I have never been in that situation, but garlic is pretty effective, and you've already been doing it, so the ear should have a good start on healing. Keep sugar to a 0, since that goes quickly to help infection grow.

I had 2nd degree burns on my foot a few months ago. I healed faster than my sis-in-law who got burned at the same time. I kept high on my vitamin C, high on cod liver oil, lots of vitamin E, as well as taking my multi etc. Even when the wound has healed over, I would keep vitamin E oil applied directly on the wound. I hope she heals up quickly!
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 12:29 AM 12-13-2009
Poor baby.

I would absolutely not give abx for ear infection, it is not even effective and doctors have been advised not to prescribe abx for it any longer. They are supposed to recommend that you wait 10 days before using abx.

The garlic oil will do the trick.

I know your mom thinks she is doing something good for her and maybe saving her some pain. But quite the opposite is true. The abx will miss with her intestines at the same time she is having pain from the burns. She is already weakened, this could be quite detrimental to her overall health.

Antibiotic is not harmless medicine. It is a very powerful drug and should only be used as a last resort.

Hope her chest heals soon. Raw honey is also a very effective healing aid. I would probably use the honey on the burn instead of anything else. It is a natural topical antibiotic.
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 12:31 AM 12-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshawwk View Post
I had 2nd degree burns on my foot a few months ago. I healed faster than my sis-in-law who got burned at the same time. I kept high on my vitamin C, high on cod liver oil, lots of vitamin E, as well as taking my multi etc. Even when the wound has healed over, I would keep vitamin E oil applied directly on the wound. I hope she heals up quickly!
I agree with the vitamin C. That would help both the burn and the ear pain.

I would give at least a double dose twice a day.
ttcintexas's Avatar ttcintexas 04:16 PM 12-13-2009
I just want to jump in and give you a hug (can't find that icon). My DD burnt herself in a very similar fashion when she was almost three--shortly after my DS was born--boiling water for coffee all over her chest. She healed very well with just some spotting coloring on her torso--she is dark skinned and there is some light spotting, but not textural scarring. I kept Bacitracin on it and changed the dressing regularly. The biggest worry was infection, and the doctor said it was important for the dead skin to be pulled off, as under it was where the infection could occur. Once I was no longer worried about infection, I rubbed Emu oil on it. I am so sorry that you and your daughter are having to go through this. Be well.
Mrshawwk's Avatar Mrshawwk 03:28 PM 12-14-2009
I forgot to say I also used raw honey on my burns. It seemed very strange, but it worked fine.
Up