oil of oregano - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does this kill of the "good" bacteria in your body?
my mom mentioned taking it to a "knowledgeable" worker lady at her health store and she told her to stop taking it and to take a bunch of probiotics.
I hadn't seen anything about that in my investigations, only that it might reduce the iron absorption.

thanks!

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
I hadn't seen anything about that in my investigations, only that it might reduce the iron absorption.
Do you have a link to where you read this? I am very interested.

ETA: all I could find is that it could reduce iron absorption from iron supplements so to not take within 2 hours of your supplement, but nothing that it interferes with iron absorption from food sources or that it does anything with your current iron levels.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 AM

Here's a thread I found that discusses OOO and part way down there is some posts on good bacteria. One person's response is that good bacteria become resistant to OOO so it doesn't not affect them (but I'm thinking it has to affect them some until they could become resistant?), but the poster does reference a study which I am only able to find the abstract online and not the full text http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts4697072.aspx

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 03:47 AM

I always use heavy probiotics three hours after oregano oil doses. If it kills bad bacteria and yeast it's got to kill probiotics too imo. We've used it successfully to get rid of some nasty bacterial overgrowths (stool) and if it does that I can't imagine probiotics would somehow be immune. They are bacteria too.

I use culturelle and florastor with oregano.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM

I could swear that I got a yeast infection after taking oil of oregano regularly for a week. I could never find any information to back up my claims though.
#6 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM

The osteo was just recommending OoO for DS because he's got some overgrowth of bad bacteria and it would be gentler to use than Abx. He also has absolutely no good bacteria (according to stool test) and the osteo wants to populate him with the good. So I don't think he'd recommend the OoO if it was going to kill the good bacteria we want to populate him with, no?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Would this also occur with topical use? I have been rubbing it on my kids feet with their last couple of colds. DD is almost 5yrs and DS is 2 yrs. I put two drops mixed with grape seed oil.
#8 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
The osteo was just recommending OoO for DS because he's got some overgrowth of bad bacteria and it would be gentler to use than Abx. He also has absolutely no good bacteria (according to stool test) and the osteo wants to populate him with the good. So I don't think he'd recommend the OoO if it was going to kill the good bacteria we want to populate him with, no?
The problem is when you get an overgrowth of bad bacteria you can give all the good you want and the bad keeps it crowded out. Good bacteria can't (generally) get enough of a hold to drive out bad if the overgrowth is severe. We were in a similar situation with my son. We did Oregano. We also did cutlurelle and florastor. After the oregano was over we did colonizing probiotics (Klaire labs) along with florastor to rebuild. The probiotics you take with the oregano is just to keep bad from taking over while you're treating. You need to treat oregano like any antibiotic in that respect.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 10 Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
The problem is when you get an overgrowth of bad bacteria you can give all the good you want and the bad keeps it crowded out. Good bacteria can't (generally) get enough of a hold to drive out bad if the overgrowth is severe. We were in a similar situation with my son. We did Oregano. We also did cutlurelle and florastor. After the oregano was over we did colonizing probiotics (Klaire labs) along with florastor to rebuild. The probiotics you take with the oregano is just to keep bad from taking over while you're treating. You need to treat oregano like any antibiotic in that respect.
Sorry to hijack - but which probiotics colonize after abx and would be best for my 4 year old DD?

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#10 of 10 Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamane18 View Post
Sorry to hijack - but which probiotics colonize after abx and would be best for my 4 year old DD?
This is what I do. First, I only use probiotics that have research showing they survive the trip/stomach acid to reach where they need to go. During and immediately after antibiotics I use a probiotic that has been proven to prevent colonization with stuff like c. diff and yeast. For that I like culturelle (comes in regular and dairy free) and florastor (contains lactose/not for dairy free) or Klaire labs s. bouldari (same stuff as florastor but dairy free). Florastor/s. bouldari is especially good during antibiotics because it is not killed like regular probiotics. You take probiotics (outside of florastor anyway) three hours after every dose of antibiotic, natural or otherwise.

Ok, so after the antibiotics I stick with the florastor s. bouldari/culturelle combo for at least a week and preferably two or so weeks to keep the bad guys crowded out. Then I start a colonizing probiotic. Klaire labs probiotics have a really good reputation and do colonize. I keep florastor in for at least a month because it's good with the bad bacteria and yeast and goes well with other probiotics. My kids take it all the time actually for the yeast benefits and because it improves gut IGA/immune levels and builds integrity.

So once you are past antibiotics keep the florastor/s. bouldari in and I like Klaire labs as your colonizing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page