Tubal Ligation experiences, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am scheduled for one with this birth and only now read about adverse side effects including:
increased period pain
heavier periods
mood swings
bad pms

Starting to feel very concerned. Maybe I should just have DH take care of his vas. as we had originally planned...

Help!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#2 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM

I had mine clipped 15 almost 16 years ago and haven't experienced any of those symptoms. My periods have been really wonky the last 5 years or so but I blame that on pre menopause (I'm 45)
#3 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM

I have all those side effects myself, but I blame it on not being on the pill, which I was for close to 20 years. The pill reduces these menstrual symptoms in a lot of people. When I'm hormone free, I have heavier, more painful periods, and everything else related to hormonal issues.
#4 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, i guess that explains it. I had a it done in May and have noticed an increase in breast tenderness and cramps. I even notice when I'm ovulating now. I thought it was weird, like how could that affect anything. Well, I guess the body knows certain things...I don't know.

Perhaps if your dh doesn't mind getting a vac, that could be the way to go. Mine kept saying he would get it done but never did, so I took the ball and ran with it.
#5 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM

I had mine with my CS May 2008. I am messed up, but I don't know if it has to do with the Tubal or other factors like having 3 kids in such a short period of time.

My old OB put me on BC to help stabilize my hormones. My current OB has said to leave it like that for now. We may try to take me off of it in a couple of months.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Are you having a c/s? Is that why your getting it done?

I will say that my mom had a tubal and she was in so much more pain after that c-section than her first two.

My hubby had a vasectomy....and other than balls the size of grapefruits the first couple of days, it was smooth sailing. LOL.
#7 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM

My mom had a tubal when she was 25, when my sister was born (third c-section). She says she definitely had a noticeable increase in mood swings/PMS for several years.

I had a tubal in June. I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm also still exclusively breastfeeding, and my period hasn't come back. There's no telling if my periods will be more painful. I'm extraordinarily tired and fuzzy headed of late...but I'm also home with four kids, nursing at night and had yet another c-section. So, the fatigue could be just about anything, really!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Man, it makes this decision so difficult...

Yes, I am having a c/s, so it seemed reasonable to have the procedure done at the same time.

DH and I talked about it, and he is thinking I should forget the procedure and he can get his vasectomy.

I have my pre-op tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to decide then.

#9 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Oh - should also add that my sister had a tubal 6.5 years ago, and as far as I know, she's never had a problem.

Honestly, I decided on the tubal, because after 5 c-sections, I do not want to take a chance on another one - ever. I wouldn't have an abortion, so this decision was kind of a "what if the worst?" scenario. I'd rather be the one who can't have kids than have dh be unable to have them. He may want them one day with someone else, should we split up or something happen to me (not being morbid - I see this as just being real - these things could happen). No matter what may happen to him or our marriage, I am done having babies. So, it made sense to me that I be the one to remove my fertility. DH was totally willing to have a vasectomy, but that just didn't make sense to me...especially as I was having surgery, anyway.

So - there are a lot of factors to consider when making this decision, yk? Usually, when I explain my reasoning to people irl, they give me weird looks, but...I'm used to that.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post
Starting to feel very concerned. Maybe I should just have DH take care of his vas. as we had originally planned...

Help!
yes. Do this. (My female OBgyn told me that is MUCH easier on guys to get a vas than women to get tubes tied.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#11 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM

I had a tubal 2.5 years ago and have all of the symptoms that you mention in your first post. Maybe it's just from having kiddo number 2, but before the kiddo and the tubal I never had any problems with my cycle (and was not on birth control fwiw) and now I spend one week out of every month fairly miserable. Just my 2 cents.
#12 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 AM

I had a tubal 4 yo ago and am quite pleased with it. My ob did say periods are often heavier as many women were on the pill before.

Side note to that - my cramps and pms were dramatically reduced after following an anti- candida diet.

I know of 3 women who had the tubal with no downsides. Good luck with your decision.
#13 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Our third baby was a planned c-section and I was going to get a tubal. But then DH read the tubal.org site and said he didn't want me to and he would get a vasectomy instead.

He did have some pain the first few days but nothing too bad, esp. once he decided to actually *listen* to the doctor's recommendation to use an ice pack.

Good luck deciding!
#14 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Somewhat related, but there have been several studies showing that if you consume 1,200 mg of calcium daily (supplement or naturally through diet), you can reduce PMS symptoms significantly. I have been doing this for about a year now, and it has worked for me. Less bloating, less pain/cramping, no headaches, no mood swings. No change in heavy periods, though.
#15 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
Our third baby was a planned c-section and I was going to get a tubal. But then DH read the tubal.org site and said he didn't want me to and he would get a vasectomy instead.

He did have some pain the first few days but nothing too bad, esp. once he decided to actually *listen* to the doctor's recommendation to use an ice pack.

Good luck deciding!
This is how DH feels after I showed him a couple of forums about the side effects. He is done having kids, too, fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy's Mom View Post
Somewhat related, but there have been several studies showing that if you consume 1,200 mg of calcium daily (supplement or naturally through diet), you can reduce PMS symptoms significantly. I have been doing this for about a year now, and it has worked for me. Less bloating, less pain/cramping, no headaches, no mood swings. No change in heavy periods, though.
I take 2000 mg of calcium as an addition to my antidepressant (I have fairly chronic depression and was unable to wean during this pregnancy ), and I remember being told that. However, I have had VERY heavy periods and fatigue since my DD slowed her nursing at abotu 3 years old. When she weaned, I was already 2 months pregnant with this one, so I have no idea if her nursing has anything to do with my periods.

UGH. I have to decide in the next hour and 20 minutes...

#16 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM

I'd pass. This isn't the kind of decision you want to make under pressure, and it sounds like your intuition is telling what's right for you.

(And if J. is totally on board with the vas., it sounds like you have your answer right there. )
#17 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post
I'd pass. This isn't the kind of decision you want to make under pressure, and it sounds like your intuition is telling what's right for you.

(And if J. is totally on board with the vas., it sounds like you have your answer right there. )
I totally hear you,Melissa. I had a good conversation with my OB today, and I have until the consent forms are set before me on Tuesday. I am still conflicted, but am now leaning toward doing it for a couple of reasons:

*No worries about becoming pregnant again
*IF I do have period issues later on, there are other things I can do at that time.

So, I still don't know

#18 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM

I had mine done almost 4 years ago when my youngest was born via c/s. I had clips put on - they are medical grade titaium and the close off the tube - but not cut off the blood flow or nerves. They are the only type of tubal my OB does, she said that they seem to have none of the side affect that a traditional tubal have (she admitted readly the cut and tie have side effects - she is a good OB- love her), the other thing is that they can't untie or regrow. And thirdly - if you so desire later on they are the easist to reverse, with a 85% pregancy rate after reversal. I love the freedom from BC, and I had tried nermeouse types none of which had worked ( hence 3 kids in 2.5 years).
#19 of 19 Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Thank You so much for the info~ I live in rural central cal and the obgyns i have met seem to want to do tubals the old fashioned way~ I think the clips sound really awesome! HOPEFULLY THE DOCTORS UP HERE WILL GO BACK TO SCHOOL and get with the timeS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page