Vitamin D test came back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the Vitamin D test done and mine was 18 my doctor says the like to see it around 50. Doc wrote a script for 50,000 IUI of Vitamin D taken 1 time a week for 8 weeks (then another lab to see where I stand). Is this what I should be taking? I hear about others taking D3.....
#2 of 23 Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Well mine came in last week at 16. Here is my thread.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1170215

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 23 Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM

You want D3.
The vitamin D council website has a lot of information about why. I think I quoted some of it in the thread linked above.

My doctor did the same. I didn't fill the script. I did take 10,000 IU of D3 per day.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 23 Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
D3 is good. Make sure you're getting LOTS of Vitamin A, preferably through animal sources while you're taking that much, and you might also consider taking K2 at the same time to maximize absorption.

Magnesium and calcium are important too... You'll need those to bind the D and vice versa.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#5 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
D3 is good. Make sure you're getting LOTS of Vitamin A, preferably through animal sources while you're taking that much, and you might also consider taking K2 at the same time to maximize absorption.

Magnesium and calcium are important too... You'll need those to bind the D and vice versa.
I would not do the vitamin A. There is evidence that it can inhibit vitamin D and I think this is especially true when a person is low (vs. normal levels/maintenance). I stopped all vitamin A containing substances to raise my levels and had them up very quickly. I did do vitamin K and magnesium. I think Boron possibly has a role too so consider a boron containing food with it.
Here is a link explaining about the vitamin A thing. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...december.shtml Those following Weston Price (well some of those) would disagree. But I decided we needed to avoid A with D while I raised my levels to normal.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
You want D3.
The vitamin D council website has a lot of information about why. I think I quoted some of it in the thread linked above.

My doctor did the same. I didn't fill the script. I did take 10,000 IU of D3 per day.

How long did you take the 10000 of d3? I've tried reading things but I guess I dont understand the difference between d and d3....I am taking a prenat DHA right now and we are ttc would this much d or d3 be harmful to the fetus should i become pregnant?(my doctor said to call if I get a positive preg test) thanks
#7 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Yep, I'm a big proponent of WAPF and TF..... The WAPFs stance is that Vitamin A and D work together, and too much of one and not enough of the other creates problems. I have leaky gut due to years of gluten intolerance and had a Vit D level a year ago which was one point away from rickets status. I took Vit A and D and raised my levels very quickly and effectively. I guess it's still a debated issue.

I would love to link to information from the WAPF, but they just redid their website and I'm having trouble finding stuff.

ETA: Yes, boron, and apparently silica, strontium, and vanadium too.

#8 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

You know, sbgrace, I was just thinking again about this and I wonder if the cause of the deficiency might play a role in whether A is recommended or not.

My low D was most likely due to leaky gut, and I was probably deficient in not just D, but perhaps A as well-- I know that I was low on iron, magnesium, calcium and Vit E at least, so I'm thinking it's not a stretch. Perhaps A & D supplementation worked so well on me because I was already low on A anyway.

I suppose if you have a case where someone simply isn't getting enough sunlight or synthesizing it well and has acceptable A levels, perhaps the extra A isn't beneficial and actually harmful since it would throw off the ratio of A&D in your body that much more?

I don't know, just thinking aloud here. I suspect either one of us could be right under the right conditions- everyone is so different.

#9 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM

I think most people are low in A in a WAPF-sense (given how much they think people should optimally consume), but I think normalizing vitamin D would be slower if one also consumed a lot of A. How fast you want your D to increase, how deficient on A you are (consuming none at all along with lots of D seems like it could be an issue if you're really low on A to start with), it seems like a balancing act.

OP--the prescription may be D2, but most OTC supps are D3 which is easier to absorb and use. If you can pause in your TTC attempts just a few months to get your D into a good range and choose an ongoing amount of supplementation so that you stay in a good range through your pregnancy, well, that'd be good for your future LO as well (in that case personally I'd not deliberately cut out vitamin A sources, but I'm WAPF-y, and they say adequate A is a biggie for prenatal stuff). The vitamin D council would have studies on infants/babies and good health outcomes associated with good vitamin D levels in mom.

This coming from another person deficient in A & D before getting pregnant and nursing--those are good ones to improve before pregnancy.
#10 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM

I wish I could go back and have normal D levels in my pregnancy. I hate it that I was probably low when pregnant with my kids. It's bad for babies as well as moms.
I'd fix the D and then try to get pregnant.
My levels were good in a matter of maybe 3 months. Quickly.

#11 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Same here, sbgrace, same here. And I wish I wasn't stupid enough not to get my levels checked while breastfeeding my daughter for the first year and still proclaim (in all my lactivist glory) "breastmilk is a complete, whole food that's superior to formula, so if formula fed kids don't need Vit D supplementation, my daughter certainly doesn't."

What an idiot.

#12 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so I made a phone call to the pharm ***Most doctors in my area do 8 wks of 50,000 Vit D and then retest and then***most will have you supplement with d3. He also said that there shouldnt be an issue if I do get pregnant but I was thinking maybe we would just post-pone trying until after the 8 wks.

So I am currently taking the prenat DHA, going to take the 50,000 D for 8 wks, what else should I be taking? Someone mentions mag and vit k? I'll check my prenatal.

This is all confusing................
#13 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM

This thread is interesting. Seems like alot of poeple are D deficient? I had all my blood levels checked a couple months ago after being on a whole foods vegan diet for a year and everything was perfect. My D was 47. My A, iron, calcium, B12 and folate were all perfect too. I don't take any supplements. I eat a TON of fresh fruits and vegetables and try to get some sun every day.

What is the theory as to what's causing D deficiency?

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#14 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambereva View Post
This thread is interesting. Seems like alot of poeple are D deficient? I had all my blood levels checked a couple months ago after being on a whole foods vegan diet for a year and everything was perfect. My D was 47. My A, iron, calcium, B12 and folate were all perfect too. I don't take any supplements. I eat a TON of fresh fruits and vegetables and try to get some sun every day.

For me, I think it's been part of a slow build-up of health issues from my childhood, and I tend to see a lot of people with chronic, sometimes complex health issues being at the really low end of the scale. Starting by growing up in the Pacific Northwest didn't help, and I think environment alone can be enough for quite a few people, but I think bigger factors were more significant long-term for me.

I think liver function may play a role, at least that's my guess as to part of it--not the kind of liver function that flags as bad on a blood test, even I passed that, but more subtle issues. My cholesterol dropping way down didn't help (cholesterol is closely related to the chemical in our bodies that sunlight changes into vitamin D), but I think I was low in D before--that just compounded the issue, so that I probably wasn't making as much as most white people living in Texas. So I'm not comfortable relying on environmental exposure alone, I like the belt and suspenders approach of the WAPF, especially for things like A and D.

Overall, for a lot of nutrients, blood tests ranges seem pretty wide, maybe you already know that, I didn't until fairly recently. It often seems to be that it's only a subset of the normal range that's best for people to actually be healthy. Or like the blood retinol test--my understanding is that if you're out of range, you're definitely low, but if you're in range, it doesn't say much.

So I think sometimes it can be fairly simple and straightforward, but sometimes it's tied into more complex issues--that IMO are often intertwined with multiple nutrient deficiencies, not just D.
#15 of 23 Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Yes to everything TanyaLopez said.

I think with our food supply and all the additives, etc, a lot of people have undiagnosed food allergies too. I had an undiagnosed gluten allergy for 28 years and that can definitely lead to deficiencies since it causes leaky gut. I'm still not anywhere NEAR recovered, I'm sure, despite working really hard over the past year to heal.

#16 of 23 Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so I just checked out the little pamphlet that comes with medicines. It says

Drug Name : Vitamin D 50,000 Units SoftG
Common Brand Name(s) Drisdol, Maximum D3

So this is D3 then right?

Another question since my prenatal has d3 can I still take it?

Thanks
#17 of 23 Old 12-20-2009, 10:06 AM

I would call your Doctor (who prescribed the Vitamin D) to let them know you are getting additional Vitamin D.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#18 of 23 Old 12-20-2009, 11:50 AM

I'd look at the amount in your prenatal, if it's a typical prenatal and has maybe 400 IU or 800 IU per day, that would add up to 2800-5600 IU per wk which compared to 50,000 IU per week is pretty insignificant IMO. If it were summer and you walked to the mailbox to get your mail at noon everyday, you'd make that much.
#19 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM

I was just curious how everyone on this thread is doing on the 50,000IU? I am currently taking 2000IU a day for my Vit D levels being at a 12 a couple of months ago. When I first started taking the D3 I could only take 400IU at a time and it couldn't be at night because it wired me so bad I couldn't sleep. I have worked my way up to 2000IU a day, but my doctor wants to put me on the 50,000IU and I am a bit scared I might stay awake for several days at a time with that stuff. Does the supplement affect anyone else in this way?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#20 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekprincess View Post
Okay so I just checked out the little pamphlet that comes with medicines. It says

Drug Name : Vitamin D 50,000 Units SoftG
Common Brand Name(s) Drisdol, Maximum D3

So this is D3 then right?

Another question since my prenatal has d3 can I still take it?

Thanks
I think Drisdol is D2.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitam...macology.shtml
Quote:
Another substance that is often called vitamin D is ergocalciferol (also referred to as vitamin D2 or Calciferol).
Ergocalciferol is available to U.S. doctors in prescription strength and is sometimes used in multivitamin preparations—usually at 400 IU per pill. Your doctor can write a prescription for 50,000 units of ergocalciferol (brand names Drisdol and Calciferol).
edited to add: it definitely is D2 and not what you want.
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/drisdol.html
Quote:
generic Name: ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) (ER goe kal SIF e role)
Brand Names: Calciferol, Drisdol, Vitamin D
Ergocalciferol is vitamin D2.

#21 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm not taking that much, but I wouldn't expect a problem if I ever tried it. It _shouldn't_ cause that reaction in you. I'm wondering if there's some sort of calcium regulation issue? Checking your blood calcium levels may be appropriate. My son gets hyper when he gets a lot of D (sunshine or supps) and he needs extra magnesium, but that's not typical of most kids.
#22 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I was just curious how everyone on this thread is doing on the 50,000IU? I am currently taking 2000IU a day for my Vit D levels being at a 12 a couple of months ago. When I first started taking the D3 I could only take 400IU at a time and it couldn't be at night because it wired me so bad I couldn't sleep. I have worked my way up to 2000IU a day, but my doctor wants to put me on the 50,000IU and I am a bit scared I might stay awake for several days at a time with that stuff. Does the supplement affect anyone else in this way?
I didn't do 50,000 at once. I did 9,000 IU per day instead in the morning. I didn't have tolerance issues and I don't think your experience is at all typical but I have heard of it before. I remember someone posting about sensitivity to lanolin and suggesting trying a non-lanolin source of D3. I can't remember her brand but only that there aren't many. Try searching lanolin here and see if you find her suggestion. You are going to need more than 2000 IU to fix your D levels. If a different supplement doesn't work for you I'd do a sun lamp. The vitamin D council suggests some. Monitor levels/not all will be able to fix it with light.

#23 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambereva View Post

Vegetables and fruits do not provide vitamin D. There is no vegetarian source of vitamin D in the diet. The sun might be helping you depending on how your body handles it and how much you get. However, I would make certain your doctor ran the correct lab. You want the 25(OH)D level not 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D. Your 1,25-dihydroxy levels can be normal and you actually be severely deficient. And doctors do run the wrong lab. Make sure it was the correct lab.
There are lots of theories. Not everyone converts well from the sun, we don't spend time in the sun compared to our ancestors, and I'm sure vitamin D cofactors being deficient in diets are parts of it too. I think there are genetic components and maybe those are becoming more prevalent. I don't think we know for sure but we do know that most people are deficient and everyone needs to know their level.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page