Moist, wet cough in toddler - experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son 2.5- started getting a moist, wet sounding cough a few days ago. Serious, non-stop runny nose too.

He's been sick twice in his life. Once was croup, once was a cold. He's not sick often.

I'm not sure what to do to make him more comfortable, or if I should take him in. I'm probably over reacting.

No fever. A little more lethargic than normal, but right now he's up playing and running around. When he starts coughing it's often hard enough that he makes himself throw up. (Not saying much - the kid has the weakest gag reflex ever.)

We've been doing warm baths with eucalyptus oil dropped in. Running a humidfier, Sinupret for kids and Badger Winter balm on his chest. He just sounds horrible. As much fluids as we can pump in him.

Any experience with wet coughs in toddlers?

Me:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously? No one?

I guess I'm calling the pediatrician this morning.

Last night none of us got any sleep and the kid seems miserable.

Me:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM

It sounds like bronchitis to me. If he doesn't have a fever, it's probably from a virus. I hope he feels better soon!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM

yup, I have experience. We use homeopathy. Ds had a really wet cough last week and it took two doses of pulsatilla. Gone and never seen again.

Beyond that nutritional supplementation can be helpful as well as chest rubs or essential oil. When my kids were little I boiled rosemary on the stove and just hung blankets so we'd be in a rosemary steam room.

Hope things are getting better!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM

This sounds just like what my almost 4 year old is just getting over. What I did that worked well was give him 1/2 tbsp of Bragg's ACV in very warm water with honey to sweeten. He had this 2 times yesterday and 1 time today and he's doing much better. The cough is practically gone and the runny nose is clearing up. I highly recommend it. I do this for myself with 2 tbsp. of ACV and it works like a charm.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice.

So far he's not sounding any better. I can't get the kid to eat honey if his life depended on it. He just spits it out.

And warm drinks of any kind he refuses too. He says they are "spicy hot."

Sigh

Me:
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM

I make the water warm in order to dissolve the honey. You could do that, and then let it cool down. DS guzzled it down when it was in a sippy cup or with a straw.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
When he starts coughing it's often hard enough that he makes himself throw up.

That's what my ds was doing when he was diagnosed with bronchitis, strep and asthma. He was just coughing a few days beforehand, and then we had one REALLY bad night where we were up all night and I considered taking him to the ER. The next day he was fevered, lethargic and miserable and couldn't breathe, and thank God the doctor's office got us in right away- if they hadn't, I would've taken him to the ER. Not being able to breathe just doesn't work for me.

I hope your little one feels better. My ds too has a strong gag reflex, but the whole coughing til he vomited thing is a tipoff for asthma, and honestly, the diagnosis didn't surprise me, I'd been expecting it for a while.

User Tag List