Hard lump in DD's hand - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple weeks ago, I was wiping DD's hands after dinner and felt a strange lump. I wipe her hands after every meal, so I don't know if it came on suddenly, or if I just happened upon that exact spot for the first time...

It's on the inside of her hand, right over the knuckle at the base of her index finger. It's hard and sharp, feels like bone, does not move. A little smaller than a pencil eraser size. Does not cause her any pain or discomfort- she even poked at it after I found it.

Took her to the ped the next day- ped agreed that it felt like bone, and she also couldn't move it around. But she had no clue what it was. The best she could offer was that it was probably a calcification or something from an injury. DD hasn't had an injury that I know of, but she does tend to flail and hit when she's having a tantrum... so who knows. But there weren't any times where I remember her saying ouch, or holding her hand, or asking for kisses (which she always does if she has an "ouchie".) The doc offered xrays if I wanted them, and we declined. She said just to watch it for signs of infection, but that it would probably go away within a couple weeks.

So... it's been a couple weeks, and this thing is still there- same size.

I'm just curious if anyone's else's toddler (oh- DD is 26mo) has had anything like this? Or if anyone has any idea what it is? Are calcifications (if that's what it is) normal for children this age?

TIA!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 AM

I had something like that and had it removed a few weeks ago. Mine was in my lip, though my grandma told me she had had a couple of the same things removed from her hands. Mine was a juvenile xanthogranuloma, and the doctor basically said they are really rare and not dangerous. Wish I could be of more help.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
I had something like that and had it removed a few weeks ago. Mine was in my lip, though my grandma told me she had had a couple of the same things removed from her hands. Mine was a juvenile xanthogranuloma, and the doctor basically said they are really rare and not dangerous. Wish I could be of more help.
Huh. Was yours really hard/sharp, like a piece of bone?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 PM

A horse stepped on my ankle when I was a kid. I had a huge, hard bump right above my ankle bone bump on the inside for a long time. It was almost like I had two ankle bone bumps. The other bump eventually went away. So it could be from some kind of injury. ALthough, I'd think she would remember doing it. I sure remember when the horse stepped on me!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
A horse stepped on my ankle when I was a kid. I had a huge, hard bump right above my ankle bone bump on the inside for a long time. It was almost like I had two ankle bone bumps. The other bump eventually went away. So it could be from some kind of injury. ALthough, I'd think she would remember doing it. I sure remember when the horse stepped on me!
Yeah- that's a pretty major injury! Which is what I would assume would cause something like this.... and why I'm a little concerned, since there were no injuries that I know of.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM

I fell while running up some concrete steps aged 10 and got a calcification from the bump on my shin bone - i would agree i think she'd probably have alerted you if it was from injury! I couldn't walk for about 4 days after that incident! (it wasn't broken, but chipped and badly bruised). I can still find where the injury was (19 years later) but the calcification has gone now. My dad has a ranula, in exactly the place you desribe - it is hard, though it isn't actually bone. I think if the ped isn't worried then i wouldn't be either.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Myself, I'd ask for it to be evaluated, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to stop worrying about it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Huh. Was yours really hard/sharp, like a piece of bone?
Yeah it felt like bone to me, honestly. The 2 doctors that evaluated it while it was still in my face were both shocked at how hard it was. But mine was also movable (a little, not like traveling all over my face but it did wiggle a little) and rounder, so not sharp but just very hard. I got to see it when they removed it but I was high on anesthesia so I don't remember what it looked like very well. I wish I had taken a picture!

I'd really have her evaluated, just because you never know with stuff like that and it gets kind of scary.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM

I have/had a bump like that. I first noticed it in high school, and it was at the base of my ring finger. If I played with/explored it too much, it would start to get sore (like a bruise), but otherwise I never noticed it. It felt hard, like bone, and didn't move, and there was no injury that I remember (though I was playing water polo at the time). A friend had something similar, and said it was just a calcification or something, so I never got it checked out. And it's pretty much gone now. If it's still there (I don't remember exactly which finger/hand), it's almost completely gone.

I think there's something about not getting enough calcium in the diet leading to random calcifications where they don't belong - something about the regulation being off?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I have/had a bump like that. I first noticed it in high school, and it was at the base of my ring finger. If I played with/explored it too much, it would start to get sore (like a bruise), but otherwise I never noticed it. It felt hard, like bone, and didn't move, and there was no injury that I remember (though I was playing water polo at the time). A friend had something similar, and said it was just a calcification or something, so I never got it checked out. And it's pretty much gone now. If it's still there (I don't remember exactly which finger/hand), it's almost completely gone.

I think there's something about not getting enough calcium in the diet leading to random calcifications where they don't belong - something about the regulation being off?
Yeah- that's what I was thinking- if it IS a calcification, why would she get one? Is she calcium deficient, or is something else going on?

I guess we'll eventually go back in for the xray if it doesn't go down.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yeah- that's what I was thinking- if it IS a calcification, why would she get one? Is she calcium deficient, or is something else going on?

I guess we'll eventually go back in for the xray if it doesn't go down.
My first guess (just based on feelings/vague interest while doing my nutrition research) would be some sort of vitamin/mineral imbalance. I think I'd look at calcium first, then ratios with phosphorus/mag/sodium, and A/D/K. And maybe oxalates?

eta: mine was there for years, I remember it in college, too...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM

I have one of those on my pinky finger on the inside opposite my knuckle. It feels like I have a pebble under my skin. It moves very slightly, no pain.
I noticed it a long time ago, no injury and it hasn't grown, shrunk or done anything but just be there.

I thought I remembered reading about what it's called online once a long time ago. Whatever I read made me not worry, but I didn't look into it any further.

If I found one in DS (19 months ) I would definitely be more inclined to dig a little further into what it is, but in myself I'm not worried about it for now.

User Tag List