Liver support during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have PUPPPs and want to try to get at the root of the problem, if possible. It is scary to me that I'm essentially having an allergic reaction to being pregnant. The best explanation I've gotten so far is from my prenatal yoga instructor, who says the 'alternative' theory (the mainstream one being 'we have no idea') is that the liver is having a hard time processing all the additional hormones. This jives with a little blurb I found about dandelion root helping because it 'has vitamin A and provides nourishment to the liver'. What else can I do to help support my liver, that is safe to do while pregnant?

#2 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Someone I know had this when pregnant and dedicated a section of her website on her experiences with things used to calm the itch- you might be interested in seeing what worked for her and other sufferers, everything from steroids to natural cures:

http://www.naomikritzer.com/motherhood/PUPPP.shtml
#3 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Found this old thread: Natural treatment for PUPPS?

From my quick review, it sounds like it could be that you are carrying a boy. Which apparently has some association with the DNA causing an inflammatory reaction.

Also, I've seen that topical yogurt or kefir could help. I would NOT do topical steroids because they are absorbed systemically when applied to a large body surface area.

I'd add probiotics to your diet, consider magnesium, zinc, B12, Omega 3, folate and milk thistle for liver support. Also, consider some sauerkraut juice or cabbage to improve stomach acid, thus improving bio-availability of nutrients.

"One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant. "
http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm
(but I can not locate a Pubmed or ncbi link confirming this)

Topical ACV or baking soda (separately) could help also.

Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I have absolutely no advice but wanted to send HUGE hugs your way. I broke out in a rash that lasted about a week during this pregnancy and my OB phone diagnosed it as PUPPP. It was miserable but it only lasted a week and must have been something I had touched or had a reaction to, it definitely wasn't PUPPP.

I hadn't known about PUPPP prior to this and reading online, but oh my. I feel for you and all others that have to deal with it. I'll be thinking of you and hope you find some answers soon.
#5 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

WuWei, I have already been taking extra probiotics, zinc, mag, and folate (for other reasons). I am doubling up on my fermented CLO dosage (now 2 tsp), and picked up dandelion root and yellow dock today. Didn't see your post beforehand or I would have added milk thistle. This is getting expensive! Was also THIS CLOSE to getting some fermented beets or cabbage. I did get more yogurt and will possibly apply it, but getting naked (or even going to the bathroom) makes me itch so terribly that I'm trying to keep my clothes on and my hands off! That reminds me, I really need to trim my nails super short right away.

It's funny about the boy thing. I was hoping for a boy but we aren't having an ultrasound and I wanted to be surprised. Now we're 70% sure we're having one! (And DH was hoping for another girl. )

#6 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM

I always prefer dandelion leaf instead of the root.
And just nourishing yourself can really support the liver. Nettles infusions is great for that. Make sure yo are getting enough greens too.

How are you with food allergens? I don't know much about pupps, but any skin irritant can possibly be linked to the insides. Pregnancy is a great time to listen to food aversions. It can reveal food allergies/sensitivities.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=cravings
mbravebird has good thoughts:
Quote:
With the negative cravings, isn't it partly when the gut bacteria are out of balance, so the beasties that are more in charge send more messages to the brain -- like more sugar! more wheat! Yum we like that stuff because it makes us proliferate! Whereas when things are more in balance their messages aren't so overwhelming.

In general, I try to follow cravings. I trust them. Pregnancy is the most obvious craving state, because our nutritional status is so important then. I've found that my pregnancy cravings were always right-on. In my first pregnancy, I craved cucumbers like a mofo, but never got around to eating many. I then got high blood pressure. Come to find out that cucumbers are great at lowering PIH. My second pregnancy, I craved asparagus a lot during the first trimester, and recently found out that asparagus is high in folate.
#7 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I have no idea if SamE is even ok during pregnancy but, I take it for liver support. My liver enzymes run on the higher side and since I've been taking it, they've been normal.
#8 of 12 Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
DDC crashing. Ugh I don't know if this is PUPPS but it's DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I boiled some dandelion leaves and drank the water, bought some Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal lotion, and Vitamin E cream which seem to help some. I take a prenatal vitamin on a half-assed basis as it really makes me feel nauseous and my digestive system sluggish. Wonder if I should just force myself through it anyway so I can get the extra folate etc. Have been eating a ton of blackberries this pregnancy. Love 'em.

Off to read some of the links here. Thanks for sharing the info.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Funny, I just posted this on the tf pregnancy thread, and then found this.

Just wanted to say that for my pregnancy-related itching with my first, acupuncture was a lifesaver. It got rid of the itching in three sessions, with noticeable improvement after each session.

Acupuncture is also really focused on the organs, and great for supporting and clearing the liver.

My itching with my first son was a mix of PUPPS-type and cholestasis-type. Both can be traced to liver function, cholestasis in particular. Only cholestasis can be dangerous to the babe. Have you assessed for cholestasis? Regardless, acupuncture got rid of both in my case.

My second pregnancy, I had very little itching, and only at the very very end. I had acupuncture my entire third trimester, though, just for general support.

Hope you feel better soon! That itching is awful -- I still remember how awful it was. Hope you figure it out soon.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#10 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about acupuncture! It sounds so expensive, but may be really the most practical approach to actually fixing this. I did have a 'liver function' panel done the other day. I wasn't sure what else to ask for, for the cholestasis or anything else. The NP said the other option was gallbladder, which was irrelevant. I didn't know enough to really argue. Haven't gotten the results back yet.

Sometimes I feel like it is getting better, and other times worse. It's so hard to keep up with all the different remedies, plus I have BV and need to work on that too.

#11 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 PM

For cholestasis, a liver panel won't usually catch it -- you need a bile test. My midwife mistested me, too, ordering just a liver panel. It came back clear, and my itching continued and got worse.

What's BV?

I agree that the cost of acupuncture is high, but worth it. Completely worth it. I got mine after the delivery (my itching had continued!), and in addition it fixed some nursing issues I had, and also helped emotionally. It was the first time I'd ever done acupuncture, and I was amazed. I knew from the moment I got pregnant with my second that I would get acupuncture, regardless of the cost, because it was that valuable to me. I saved for it. And in my second pregnancy, it helped my hip issues and helped me emotionally, as well as apparently keeping the itching at bay. It also contributes to a good labor and delivery. I set up a monthly appointment in my third trimester, and increased to every two weeks as my due date approached. If cost is an issue, but the need is great, they'd probably be willing to set up some sort of payment plan, I would think.

Wishing you relief...!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#12 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I *theoretically* have a little bit of birthday money I could spend on acupuncture...I should totally go for it.

BV is Bacterial Vaginitis/Vaginosis (I've seen it both ways). Basically an overgrowth of bad bacteria down there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page