walk me through ear drops - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has a double ear infection. I'm holding him off on anti-biotics, mostly becuase they couldn't get me dye-free and he tens to react to dyes. I have garlic drops, but don't understand the details. How do I warm them up? How warm should they get? How many drops? How long do they stay in the ear? How often do I put in drops? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM

We usually fill the dropper with some of the oil and then run warm water over it for a few seconds from the faucet. That warms it up nicely. Our doc (a naturopath) has always had us do 3 drops, in affected ear(s), 3 times a day for 5 days. I usually let the oil go into the ear canal and then jiggled it a little to get it down in there and then if I can get my DS to sit still keep the ear pointed up so it gets a chacne to roll around in there. When I've had to do two ears I have always put a little piece of paper towel under the first ear when I turn my DS to do the second because some oil always runs out.

I don't know how old your son is but if you are still BFing, you can also put breastmilk in the ear and that can help too. For a little while we thought my DS was allergic to garlic so when we suspected ear issues we'd do breastmilk in the ears.

Wife to DHguitar.gif, Mama to DS1 luxlove.gifribbonjigsaw.gif (06/2007) and DS2 baby.gif (06/2013), missing babies (mc 08/2006 @ 5 weeks) and (missed mc 06/2012 @ 11 weeks)

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When DS got an EI a couple months ago, one thing that really helped with pain was massaging around his ears, I think it helped promote drainage. (he hated the drops I did, so I have no idea if they helped)... Rubbing behind the ears, starting at the top, down to that dip behind the earlobe and then down all the way to the collarbone, and also in front, I did circles pushing on that flap in front of the ear, later my DO also recommended long strokes starting mid-forehead, along the hairline, in front of the ears, and down to the collarbone, and the same thing starting next to the nose too. And pulling down on his earlobes (gently ) for kids under 4. DS woke up crying one night, and the massage helped us all sleep that night, I was so grateful.

Hope your LO feels better soon.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the tips! I will be trying them.

User Tag List