Spider bite- would you take antibiotics for that? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hesitate to take antibiotics because for the first chunk of my life I took them all the time for chronic ear infections. Now that I am an adult I try to save it for when I truly need it, like when I had strep throat.

I was bitten by a spider on my leg and I did not notice or realize it at the time. I thought it could have been an infected hair follicle. But it got really painful and big so I went to my doctor and he diagnosed it as a spider bite. They cultured it and said that I need antibiotics. I have been putting neosporin on it for a couple of days and it feels better and looks better. What do you all think? I am torn.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Recent thread spider bites???

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 PM

I would also consider applying bentonite clay and I read once that lavender oil is good for poisonous bites. personally I would do all the topical applications and then supplement with SA and if that's not enough also colloidal silver.
#4 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 PM

oh, I just checked out your link. I have something similar, I wonder if it is as effective. "PRID" all natural drawing salve with homeopathic ichthammol and other homeopathics like arnica, calendula, echinacea, hepar sulph, silica etc; yeah smells really bad. I don't know where I got it from, have had it for ages, it comes in a really small tin that I always took with us when went camping hiking etc; I know I have used it for an abscess and it worked really well.
makes sense that it would draw out poisons, toxins etc;
#5 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
oh, I just checked out your link. I have something similar, I wonder if it is as effective. "PRID"
Sounds great.

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 02:34 AM

They don't usually do antibiotics for even nasty bites (my dad had a recluse bite) unless there is also infection. I'm wondering what they found when they cultured? I would assume bacteria (they can't culture the spider poison)? Did they say?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up taking the abx because I had already taken two when I thought I should stop, then read another thread that it is not a good idea to stop after you start. I am glad I read that!

But the bite is fine. It is healing up nicely. I am going to keep your suggestions in mind if I ever have something like this happen again Thanks

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#8 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM

For the record, taking *unnecessary* antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria in your gut.

I would consume whole food probiotics to help to repopulate the gut.

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
elf

I guess I would want to know exactly what the culture came up with. The majority of spider bites are actually a misdiagnosis. MRSA infections are often thought to be spider bites. If it is MRSA you MUST take antibiotics.
#10 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I guess I would want to know exactly what the culture came up with. The majority of spider bites are actually a misdiagnosis. MRSA infections are often thought to be spider bites. If it is MRSA you MUST take antibiotics.
Actually, there are many topical antimicrobial alternatives which address MRSA.

I'd do raw virgin coconut oil on a skin infection, lavender essential oil, or manuka honey. All have antifungal, antibacterial effects. They help kill staph, even MRSA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...microbial.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16048923

Epsom salt soaks will help with healing also.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12171686

Effect of medical honey on wounds colonized or infected with MRSA.

Full healing was achieved in seven consecutive patients whose wounds were either infected or colonised with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antiseptics and antibiotics had previously failed to irradicate the clinical signs of infection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17927079
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rsa.html?cat=5

The trick to the honey is that its hydrogen peroxide decomposes much more slowly than what's in standard honey. This special honey is made from the manuka bush, Leptospermum scoparium, only found in New Zealand.

http://rn.modernmedicine.com/rnweb/C.../detail/561184
http://www.prlog.org/10067635-manuka...nfections.html

Found this portable tube of Manuka Honey http://www.manukahoneymrsa.com/552.html

I'd consume some Bubbies sauerkraut or other fermented vegetables. And some kefir for the probiotic benefits. I'd also eliminate dairy for 2-6 weeks to see if that helps the immune system, especially if it is pasteurized, homogenized dairy.

I'd try some homeopathic Silica.

Many alternatives which do not require antibiotics.

Pat

I have a blog.
#11 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM

really great links wuwei!!!!
I like the look of that manuka honey in a tube. I have travelled overseas with manuka honey in a small container in my suitcase....can get messy LOL
I am ordering that tube now!
I totally agree with everything you have posted, we have taken care of so many things here from cuts and bruises, antbites, spider bites, splinters, rashes, a fractured wrist, a burn I got from the oven once, spills off bikes, rip sticks you name it.....
today, I think that every family should have a few things on hand for first aid including SA, manuka honey, lavender, healing clay, arnica etc;
It's not like you can even count on abx to really work anymore.....

btw, I have a nice little product, comes in a small 1 oz spray bottle called EMUGECY, which is a bunch of healing herbs and oils like calendula, lavender, olive leaf, even manuka all in a base of emu oil works great on booboo's that seem to get infected before you notice that you or your kids even had a booboo
#12 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I hesitate to take antibiotics because for the first chunk of my life I took them all the time for chronic ear infections. Now that I am an adult I try to save it for when I truly need it, like when I had strep throat.

I was bitten by a spider on my leg and I did not notice or realize it at the time. I thought it could have been an infected hair follicle. But it got really painful and big so I went to my doctor and he diagnosed it as a spider bite. They cultured it and said that I need antibiotics. I have been putting neosporin on it for a couple of days and it feels better and looks better. What do you all think? I am torn.
I know you already took the abx but i had to chime in because your spider bite incident sounds exactly like what happened to me when I was 8 months pregnant with DD!!! Doc gave me abx but I refused. So I put hydrogen peroxide on it several times a dAY along with a calendula salve and it was literally gone in 4 days!!! And let me tell you it was a nasty one! Brown recluse bite
#13 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am on probiotics Just to keep the good stuff up in my stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I know you already took the abx but i had to chime in because your spider bite incident sounds exactly like what happened to me when I was 8 months pregnant with DD!!! Doc gave me abx but I refused. So I put hydrogen peroxide on it several times a dAY along with a calendula salve and it was literally gone in 4 days!!! And let me tell you it was a nasty one! Brown recluse bite
I don't know what bite be but it was nasty. I almost got sick just looking at it. Yikes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page