Heart palpitations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting heart palpitations occasionally for a few years. Usually it's when I have a high-carb meal (say pasta and garlic bread). I'll get really sweaty and have heart palpitations.

For the past week or so I've been getting heart palpitations every single night and during the night. It'll wake me up at night. I start to panic a little bit....but deep breathing and calm down. I don't think i'ts a panic attack....because I feel fine prior to the heart palpitations.
#2 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have panic d/o * since 10/12/99* My panic attacks START with the heart palps, than it escalates because I'm nervous about my heart. I'll definitily be subbing, I hope somebody has an answer. Hugs!!! It's a scary and un nerving feeling, I'm sorry you are going through this!

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#3 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 PM

The first thing I would research would be magnesium, I believe magnesium glycinate is a form most often recommended for palps/anxiety/depression.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 PM

What do the palpitations feel like? Is your heart pounding? Does it feel like your heart skips a beat? I get the ones where it skips a beat, but no pounding. I can't remember what they are called. Anyway, giving up caffeine and taking natural calm help them.
#5 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM

I've read that some people experience a higher heartrate after consuming a food they're intolerant of. I used to have some odd heartbeat things, sometimes skipped beats, sometimes my heart raced, sometimes the beats were close together (just two) and funny-shaped (can you tell how much I remember from talking about an ekg years ago? ). The irregular beats (skipped and too-close) went away with supplemental magnesium.
#6 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
I have panic d/o * since 10/12/99* My panic attacks START with the heart palps, than it escalates because I'm nervous about my heart. I'll definitily be subbing, I hope somebody has an answer. Hugs!!! It's a scary and un nerving feeling, I'm sorry you are going through this!
Could be connected to adrenals as well. I know my palps are thyroid/adrenal related.
#7 of 18 Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 PM

I have hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue. The heart pounding sensation, or palpitations were my first clue that something was wrong. Since I have adjusted my diet to exclude simple carbs and sugar and have upped my protein, I no longer have this problem. Maybe play with your diet a bit and see if that helps.
#8 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I've read that some people experience a higher heartrate after consuming a food they're intolerant of.
My heart palps, which I have had all my adult life, completely went away when I eliminated eggs and wheat from my diet. My naturopath told me heart palpitations are usually the result of increased cortisol from food allergies. You could start by eliminating gluten.

My naturopath also told me that although the palpitations are harmless, you want to try to get a handle on them because over time they could cause a permanent irregular beat.
#9 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 AM

Not much time but want to suggest - try magnesium supplements and Lugol's Iodine.
#10 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 AM

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

Quote:
A joint committee of the Ontario Dental Assoc., the Ont. Public Health Assoc. and the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario was formed about two years ago with the stated purpose of getting the Ontario government to set up and fund a Fluoridation Office with sole control over all information that the public can receive about fluoridation. The RCDSO and ODA presidents past and current have publicly asked Premier McGuinty to make mandatory water fluoridation his legacy to Ontario. The RCDSO has a policy forcing dentists to support fluoridation publicly and Dr. Stechey is on video telling Thunder Bay councilors that the RCDSO would take action against any dentist who didn't adhere to this policy.
#11 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM

i'd go and get checked for hyperthyroidism/ Grave's disease.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#12 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM

I would get your blood sugar response and insulin level tested... I believe high insulin can cause that due to it also causing the release of adrenaline? If one has insulin resistance, higher than normal insulin is released b/c the cells are not taking it up as efficiently.

Would be an interesting experiment to see if high vitamin C via sodium ascorbate would dissipate the adrenaline?

Chromium is the supplement to take for IR, 800-1000mcg per day.

I highly recommend transdermal magnesium chloride (skin and baths) instead of oral supplementation. I've been doing that for over a year and it really is vastly superior to taking it by mouth.
www.magnesiumforlife.com
#13 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Jane, you've mentioned this so many times, it's finally made an impact on me. Does that site actually sell it, or if not (or in addition) where do you buy it?

You never liked oral supplementation a whole lot, but can you talk at all about comparable dosing vs oral supps (mag citrate or glycinate)? At this point, I need to find something not more expensive than what we're currently doing for DH. Thx. And if it works for DH, I will see if my MIL would be interested as well.
#14 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
What do the palpitations feel like? Is your heart pounding? Does it feel like your heart skips a beat? I get the ones where it skips a beat, but no pounding. I can't remember what they are called. Anyway, giving up caffeine and taking natural calm help them.
It feels like it skips a beat and just pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
i'd go and get checked for hyperthyroidism/ Grave's disease.
Did that. It's fine.
#15 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jane, you've mentioned this so many times, it's finally made an impact on me. Does that site actually sell it, or if not (or in addition) where do you buy it?

You never liked oral supplementation a whole lot, but can you talk at all about comparable dosing vs oral supps (mag citrate or glycinate)? At this point, I need to find something not more expensive than what we're currently doing for DH. Thx. And if it works for DH, I will see if my MIL would be interested as well.
well I'm going to keep mentioning it b/c I learned myself!! I ran out (well ran low and kept it for DS's use) and BOY did I tell a difference after a month. I was a crabby bear and stressed out (with very good reason considering my life right now, but still...). Once I started up again it was so clear to me how much it really does.

I like getting it at Amazon for the free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...592631-6806458

This is what Dr. Carolyn Dean says

Quote:
The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for magnesium is between 350 and 400 milligrams per day, which is just enough to ward off outright deficiency. But for optimal health and for the twenty-two conditions that are triggered by magnesium deficiency, perhaps twice as much magnesium is needed. One of the highest sources of magnesium is kelp, but one tsp. only has about 30 milligrams. One tablespoon of almonds has 33 milligrams. Because we probably don’t get nearly enough magnesium from out diet we have to investigate magnesium supplements.

I use several types of magnesium. However, I stopped using magnesium oxide in 2005 when I read a study that showed only 4 percent of the oxide form of magnesium is absorbed. That’s why magnesium oxide is a great laxative but if you want to stock up on magnesium you need to use other forms. I use magnesium citrate and magnesium taurate and also spray on magnesium oil after a shower. Magnesium oil is supersaturated magnesium chloride and because it’s used topically it doesn’t cause a laxative effect. And I find it really does work. I seem to have a very high requirement for magnesium and to get enough by mouth I can have a laxative reaction—but if I use magnesium oil, I only need to take half the amount of magnesium by mouth and therefore avoid loose stools.

You also have read labels when you buy magnesium products. For example a label may say magnesium taurate, or magnesium citrate, or magnesium glycinate, 500 milligrams, but when you look at the fine print on the back of the bottle you will notice the actual amount of magnesium is much less. The actual amount of magnesium in 500 mg of magnesium glycinate is 50 mg. Companies that make chelated minerals like magnesium glycinate and magnesium taurate claim that chelates are more readily absorbed. That may be the case, but how you tell is if they have less of a laxative effect.

The best way to tell if you are getting enough magnesium is the “bowel test”. You know when you have too much magnesium when your stools become loose. This, in fact, may be a blessing for people with constipation and is one of the many ways magnesium deficiency manifests. But, if you are like me and still get a Charlie horse or a heart palpitation when you don’t have enough magnesium, then reach for the magnesium oil.

http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/
It's the same thing with me and calcium another poster talked about yesterday... that hit me over the head... if you take or eat a lot of calcium, it ups your requirement for magnesium.
#16 of 18 Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM

Jane, I'm having a hard time figuring out how much people use. How long does an 8 oz bottle last? Can you compare at all to oral supplementation?

eta: and maybe you already knew, but I just realized that good sea salts can have quite a bit of magnesium. The pink himalayan sea salt we have, if a normal person consumed a teaspoon a day (about 2400mg of sodium), they'd get 120mg of magnesium along with it, which is a reasonable boost to most peoples' daily intakes.
#17 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, Himalayan and Celtic Sea Salt are the only ones worth their weight ...in salt, ha-ha!

One tsp. of the magnesium oil has just over 500mg, I usually use one every 2 months or so. I found oral supplementation to mess with my gut... a little or a lot depending on its current state of health. I felt that oral supp created its own set of problems. Although I have brushed my teeth with mag. oil with no issue! It tastes horrible but seems to fully absorb and its supposed to do all sorts of good things for teeth and gums.

My Name is Jane and I Am a Magnesium Junkie.
#18 of 18 Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM

Off to order some for myself and mom. Thanks Jane and Tanya for the discussion. Even if it is expensive, I think it can't be much more than our expensive magnesium glycinate, it is one less thing to swallow, and it is more effective. yay!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page