my 14 MO burned his hand- blisters! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not as bad as it sounds but Milo burned his palm and the lower portions of his fingers today. We have radiators, and the hot water pipes are exposed, but my ODS had never touched them, so I didn't anticipate this at all. (crappy crappy momma I am! )

Anyway he wrapped his hand around it, and burned himself. I didn't notice that it had blistered until I was nursing him to sleep. I dabbed some tea tree oil on it, and then but a huge bandage on it, smeared with Earth Mama Agel Baby bottom balm, because that's all I can think to do.

He is obviously hurting, and I want to keep it as comfortable as possible so he'll let it heal.

Anyone BTDT? I need suggestions. Did I do OK, or should I have done something else?

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 PM

His burn is a second degree burn. It is recommended to have burns to the hands, feet, or face evaluated by a dr. I would at least call and see. There are a lot of nerves on the hand. Poor guy. I hope he heals quickly.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! yes, I knew blisters were a second degree burn. There are three small ones, the rest is red. They are not on the creases or joints, so at least they won't flex open.

I remember getting burned as a kid.... it hurt so so so badly!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM

Cool water soaks or cold compresses (not ice).

Motrin for inflammation and pain.

Hope he feels better soon.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
s mama... and a wonderful one at that! a 'bad' mom would have let it go with no treatment at all....

aloe is good for burns too. dont put ice on it because it shocks the shin. keep the area clean and wrapped.

and now you know this LO will touch them so block off the area. i am sure you already did this, but before this happened how would you know to do this s!

this site has some other ideas like honey...
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/natura...he_minor_burns

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that link, lovebug!

As for blocking off the area, it can't be done, but we can get some foam to wrap them in, I think there's stuff made to insulate hot water pipes specifically. They're all over the house.

I had no idea they could get hot enough to blister, though. I knew they got hot, but I tested them myself, and I guess there's just a minute or two when it could happen. (sigh...)

update- the TTO and the EMAB bottom balm must have been just the thing. He just woke up from his nap, and had pulled the bandage off (of course) and the whole areqa is MUCH less red, and the blisters look much smaller too. (heaves a huge sigh of relief!)

I will watch it very carefully, and we're going to Kmart soon, so we'll pick up some gauze and tape.

Niemals Gewalt

User Tag List