Celiac disease and miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there have Celiac disease (gluten enteropathy, sprue)? I have had a miscarriage (Sept 08) and have since been diagnosed with CD (July 09). I am concerned about getting pregnant again, especially with all of the links between gluten sensitivity and autism, as well as my 'advanced maternal age' (37).

If you have CD and have had a successful pregnancy, how long did you wait after your diagnosis? What markers did you use? A clean endoscopy/pathology report? Normal labs?

Any support would be appreciated. I would like to have a child naturally and I have no problem sticking to a gluten-free diet, I just don't want to get pregnant too soon and have another miscarriage, or put my child at risk for autism (though I'm unsure if there's a link there).

I feel like I'm in limbo.
#2 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 PM

I'd consider getting checked for MTHFR gene. And increase folate (not folic acid) intake. 5-MTHF is a supplemental form.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 PM

I have a diagnosis. I have three kids and two of the three were carried prior to dx but well over a decade after symptoms arose. Soooo, no waiting here and number three was a total suprise so no real opportunity either. I was gf and on healing diets for a year or so before conception....but again, not planned.

I have one dc that was dx on the autism spectrum. She was diagnosed with celiac disease as well as a baby. We have done quite a lot in terms of optimizing her health and she is currently in school and doing excellently with no meds. They were provided with all her evals. Noone was sure how it was going to go, but she is doing spectacularly well.

There may be risks, but there always are. In my mind you do what you can in terms of compliance, following the healing paths that make sense to you and take the plunge. In a perfect world I would probably want 6 months to a year minimum of being GF AND bolstering my system with a multi-faceted approach.
#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 AM

I do have 2 kids but I recently cut out gluten out and I fee so much better. I have m/c before and it takes me a really long time to get pregnant, almost 2 years with my dd. I wonder if when I want to have another baby if it will take less time with no m/c. I hope others respond because I am interested in this subject.
#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. My first pregnancy ended in loss, and it really blindsided me.

I took the Enterolab stool test after I had both of my kids, and it was positive, but of course that's not an official celiac diagnosis. However, after all the reading I've done about how gluten may trigger a lesser immune response in most people, I have no desire to eat gluten, so I probably won't ever seek an official diagnosis. (FYI, example here and blog postings here and here.)

I had already had both of my children (both girls) before I got tested. There is a history of ASD in my family, but neither of my kids are on the spectrum. There's also significant autoimmune disease in my family (Type I diabetes, CD, lupus).

My older daughter does have very mild sensory issues (almost never noticeable now at age 6), and my younger daughter has significant food intolerances. We have no specific reason to think she has CD, because she doesn't carry the "official" alleles, but she is off gluten, dairy, and soy anyway.

I didn't start having symptoms until after I'd had my first. I had no trouble getting pregnant either time, though I did have a partial molar pregnancy before my first baby, and one miscarriage after my first baby. I was breastfeeding when I had the miscarriage, and I have a feeling that lactation-induced subfertility played a role there. Not that bf'ing caused the m/c, but that bf'ing resulted in a less robust ovulation. In both cases I waited 4 months before TTC again, and conceived within two cycles. Since I hadn't yet been tested, I was not gluten free during either pregnancy.

Wishing you peace and clarity!
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 PM

I've heard that if you cut all gluten out and it's treated effectively (ie no gluten what so ever) that the chance of autism is really really mild. It's usually only found in those with mothers who never had the diagnosis or aren't eating right. But that's what I've heard.

I have a gluten sensitivity and was tested for celiacs when I was already off gluten for a year. So it's possible I have it, a cousin of mine has it.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page