HOMEOSTATIC SOIL ORGANISMS (HSO's)-The Superior Probiotic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-22-2004, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
EBM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HSO's are tiny bacterial organisms that live in the soil and provide nutrients to the soil and the plants. And just like other probiotics, they secrete lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and acid to acidify the intestines.

But HSO's are more beneficial than more commonly used probiotics in several ways.

For example, probiotic supplements usually contain hundreds or perhaps thousands of colony forming units or CFU's. Why? Because not all the friendly bacteria will survive the journey through the acidic environment of the intestines--so the higher numbers ensure that at least some of the friendly bacteria will survive the journey.

With HSO's, there does not exist a need to hike up the numbers because they are a much heartier bacteria and have the ability to pass through the stomach intact.

Also, when we ingest unusually high numbers of bacteria from conventional probiotics-we may trigger an immune-system response that can kill many of the probiotic material. But the body recognizes HSO's as food.

And regardless of the pH of the intestines, HSO's have the ability to find their place on the walls of the intestines. And not only do HSO's make their home on the intestinal walls to keep harmful bacteria out--but they can also dislodge accumulated decay on the intestinal walls and remove it as waste. And by cleaning the decay form the intestinal walls, more nutrients are able to pass through and be absorbed.

HSO's also break food down into its most basic elements making the food more easy to absorb. They are also responsible for stimulating the production of a protein called alpha-interferon--which increases the production of what are called cytokines. And what is even more amazing, our bodies produces various types of alpha-interferons for numerous viruses and antigens.

Furthermore, HSO's stimulate our bodies to produce something called lactoferrin. Lactoferrin is responsible for binding to and surrounding iron particles and carrying them to the small intestine to be absorbed.

I learned this info from the book: How the Guts and Glory Program Can Transform Your Life: Restoring Your Digestive Health by Jordan S. Rubin, N.M.D. and Joseph Brasco, M.D.
#2 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:12 AM

How do you get HSO's? Can you buy them in the probiotic section of your local health food store? Do they do the same job as acidophilus in fighting yeasts?

Is there a good source of information on the internet?
#3 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

In the book, there is a Resource section that tells you where to buy them. I believe you can Primal Defense through the www.mercola.com website.

Here are some links that I was reading through.

http://www.rosicrucianfellowship.com...tics.pdf<br />
#4 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

#5 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

This site contains an authorized reprint of the BioTech/News article: Critters! Soil-based organisms and the immune function by Dr. Peter Rothschild

http://www.upwardquest.com/cmenu.html
#6 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:47 AM

I wonder if that's why my brothers and I were fond of eating dirt from the yard as toddlers...

LOL
#7 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 12:49 AM

I remember my brother scooping dirt into his mouth with a rusty nail...

talk about pica...

sorry, I didn't add anything to this discussion.....
#8 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 01:47 AM

Has anybody taken HSO's and experienced the extreme benefits that they report on these websites?
#9 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

VEGMOM,

Good question. I have just learned about HSOs and do not have any personal experience with them.

But I do plan on trying them.
#10 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

And if anyone can find any official research studies on HSOs, links would be greatly appreciated?
#11 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 AM

All of the bacterium that are called "probiotic" are originally soil-based bacterium.

There are approximately 40,000 different TYPES of bacteria in a teaspoon of soil.

Now, some of them should be in the human body and of course some not.

The first step in culling out the bacterium that we as human animals need is the plant and animal world. Just about every culture and civilization has derived bacterium from animals-- whether directly through animal husbandry or , for instance, in the case some Native Americans, eating the intestines of bison directly after a kill. Most likely, when I can get the raw milk that I should be able to soon, I will take the milk from the healthy animal and culture it simply by heating to 110-115, without the additon of anything. Now, this animal will have to be a grazing animal, and most likely the best bacteria will come in the fall after plenty of grass grazing.

When I start making sauerkraut, should I choose to do it the completely "natural" way, I will put the cabbage in the brine (inhibiting bad bacteria) and wait for the natural lactobacillus that are in the cabbage to start breeding. At this first stage all sorts of bacteria will be breeding (even with the brine) and this is why some culturings fail. In a successful culturing the lactobacillus will take over in time, becoming the predominant bacterium and resulting in a good, tasty sauerkraut. To ensure success I will separate out the whey from my yogurt and add it to the cabbage FROM THE BEGINNING to give the inherent lactobacillus a head start.

What are called "Probiotics" have all been derived from humans--- these are the sources. Thus, they have survived the high-acid stomach conditions.

Without any specific names--- actual scientific names-- I view these HSOs with a great degree of scepticism.

It was the same with KEFIR--- they always compare themselves with "Probiotics"-- claiming greater everything, yet there are never enough details to distinguish them in any meaningful way from "Probiotics."

If someone actually takes these HSOs and reports even feeling "better", as I have with my experience, then I'd be more curious.

So far, everything I've seen claimed about "HSO"s here, can also be said for what are called "Probiotics"---- everything.

So far, HSOs are simply a marketing gimmick.

EBM, just a quick question, have you done any culturing yet for your family?

You're lookin' for me, ya found me (sure, the "Superior" probiotic),

Ray
#12 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
EBM

The manufacturer refers to the following as HSO's

lactobacillus acidophilus
lactobacillus bugaricus
lactobacillus plantarum
lactobacillus brevis
lactobacillus caucasicus
lactobacillus fermentii
...helveticus
...leichmannii
...lactis
...caseii
...bifidum
...boulardii
...subtilis
...lichenformis

In your opinion, are these identical to what is found in a typical probiotic?
#13 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 PM

...this looks more like a kefir, though it doesn't have L. kefirans.

I would be curious to know at what temperature they culture this as kefir is closer to room temp.

Some of these are found naturally occurring in humans--- acidophilus, plantarum, brevis, casei, bifidum (but that bifidorum bifidum not lactobacillus)

Bulgaricus, causcasicus are not found naturally occuring in humans.

The others I have no idea.

L. reuteri is notably missing, and now, having been educated by an issue that vegmom brought up, it seems quite important and I will add it to my culturing process, most likely as a separate yogurt-- it looks THAT important.

HSOs, probiotics-- as I said they all originate from the same source-- the soil. The most important thing here is to be consuming them DAILY as part of our diet.

Good luck and get culturing!

Ray
#14 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
EBM

Please share your knowledge about L. Reuteri.
#15 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 02:06 PM

#16 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
EBM

Natash Trenev's site has some great in on L. Bulgaricus.

http://www.natren.com/pages/natashart2.asp

Quote:
L. bulgaricus is extremely proteolytic (i.e., able to split proteins for easy digestion and absorption). When the proper strain of L. bulgaricus is selected and grown in the appropriate medium, I have found it to be very effective for alleviating digestive problems such as acid reflux and taming runaway appetite. These friendly, helpful bacteria are also recommended for:
#17 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 02:39 PM

...L. Bulgaricus doesn't make the cut:

"One of the most effective strains is LB-51, especially in immune system protection18. These beneficial organisms are transient bacteria which do not take up residence, but move through, the G. I. tract and are part of the bacteria"

I want bacteria which WILL take up residence--- which, essentially have a biological site within the intestine made for them. This, to me, is the biological precedent that dictates what should enter my body. Sure, L. Bulgaricus does all the things that Trenev says (her book was one that I read initially) but these functions are generally included in the multiplicity of flora that are human specific-- ie, will colonize.

Pumpkinhead, how about kickin' up some dirt? :LOL

I gotta go make some yogurts now,

Ray
#18 of 19 Old 02-23-2004, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
EBM

Lactobacillus bulgaricus has its benefits as you mentioned....

http://www.enzymestuff.com/probiotics.htm#4

Quote:
Production of lactic acid by the bacterium provides a favorable environment for the growth of other
lactobacilli and bifidobacteria residing in the intestine. Studies
indicate that certain strains of L. bulgaricus stimulate production
of interferon and tumor necrosis factor, thus establishing a
potential role in modulating the immune system.
I appreciate your input though, because I am trying to learn as much as I can about the various strains.
#19 of 19 Old 02-28-2004, 11:06 AM

Ah, now I understand why Fallon says to put whey in everything...it's becoming more clear to me....I don't know why this didn't even occur to me..

THanks

Quote:
Originally posted by goodpapa
. To ensure success I will separate out the whey from my yogurt and add it to the cabbage FROM THE BEGINNING to give the inherent lactobacillus a head start.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page