rsv in 4 month old. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DD has RSV. I had never heard of it, but seems quite serious. her cough started last Monday and she had a stuffy nose, never a fever higher than 99.7. by Wednesday I could tell she was feeling ill and then she hacked up a lot of mucous; I brought her to the doc. and they tested for RSV. doc. said he'd seen 4 cases in one day. I EBF and thought we were invincible. guess not! doc. said we'd just have to wait it out, cough is lingering but her personality is back to normal. anyone else deal with RSV? when can I expect a full recovery? anything else I need to do or watch for? thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM

RSV can be some nasty stuff. Watch for high fevers and trouble breathing. Rapid breathing, or tugging around the collar bone and sternum or under the ribs, can be signs that she's having difficulty. RSV landed my son in the hospital for 9 days when he was 10 months old, and his complete recovery took close to 3 weeks. He had very high fevers that fluctuated throughout the day but were controlled with Motrin. Since your child is too young for Motrin, just keep an eye out for it and let your doc know if it gets really high.

Stuff we did:

I made sure DC didn't get dehydrated, which was tough. I fed him often with medicine droppers to keep some fluids in him.

Saline drops/spray and suctioning of the nose once an hour or so, more often if needed. RSV mucus can be really thick and bothersome and the saline helped thin it.

We had to do nebulizer treatments, but with any luck, you'll avoid that.

By the time my son got this, we were no longer cosleeping. I slept in his room, though, to keep an eye on his breathing.

Hope your little one gets better soon. Hang in there.
#3 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am nursing as often as she wants, luckily she hasn't had trouble eating. I elevate her when she sleeps and she doesn't seem to have a problem sleeping, although she coughs when she wakes up.

I've been using nasal drops and aspirating when she seems completely clogged. for the most parts she's had a clear, runny nose. hoping I'm over the worst of it! thanks for replying. did you wake during the night to check his breathing? maybe I should set a timer every hour...
#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM

I didn't make myself wake up, I had trouble sleeping. But I think my son's case was far worse than yours (thank goodness). My son has asthma and that was probably an early indication of it.

I don't think I'd necessarily set a timer. My son woke on his own when he got miserable. Fingers crossed it passes soon.
#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

RSV is very common in babies and children. Something like 75-90% of children are believed to get it at some point before they turn 3. Usually it just shows itself as a mild cold. Unfortunately some children get it really bad. My dd got a really bad case at 5 mo old and had to be hospitalized for 3 days so I know how scary it can be. I am glad to hear your baby is on the mend. The good thing is that now she will most likely have immunity from getting it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page