OKay help me figure out what this is.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because my doctor has no idea.

I had what he thought was a spider bite on my left leg. It was infected. I took the medicine and it cleared up. Two more have since appeared on the same leg.

These don't look like spider bites at all. They don't look like bites in general. The other one may have looked like a spider bite because it got infected. I can't post a picture tonight because my personal computer is still in the shop, but I can tomorrow when it comes back. I was thinking that maybe someone on MDC would be like "Oh, I had that" or something

A smallish white spot, with a large fifty cent piece sized red mark around it. Only one the one leg- which makes us think that it isn't a bite, because if it was a bug or something, you would think that it would bite me other places too, not just the one leg. No one in my family or at my job has these.

It hurts to touch, but goes away in a couple of days if I put neosporin on it.

Any ideas?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM

It kind of sounds like staph to me. It is often mistaken for spider bites. I would have it cultured, so if it is MRSA you could get the appropriate treatment.

Check out this website. It claims that many "spider bites" are actually staph.

I have to recommend NOT scrolling down far enough to look at the pictures on that site. They are extreme cases!
#3 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well they did culture it. All they told me was that it was resistant to the kind of medicine they orginally had me on so they switched me. Would they have told me if it was staph? I should have asked but I never thought to!

Thanks neighbor And when are we ever going to meet up? I work in the town you live in now

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#4 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM

I looked.

Wish I had not.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#5 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Well they did culture it. All they told me was that it was resistant to the kind of medicine they orginally had me on so they switched me. Would they have told me if it was staph? I should have asked but I never thought to!

Thanks neighbor And when are we ever going to meet up? I work in the town you live in now
I can't IMAGINE they wouldn't have told you it was staph. I would call back and ask them, for sure.

You work here now? I'm currently getting my bachelor's in early childhood ed. here at the university. You work in childcare, right? PM me where you work. I'm really familiar with all the preschools in town!
#6 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 AM

That sounds exactly like a staph (MRSA) infection.
#7 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 AM

I was thinking staph too. I'd call in and see whether they cultured for staph (I'm sure they did). If you keep getting it sometimes you need a systematic antibiotic to wipe it out. But did they give you bactroban originally? That stuff is often used for staph, resistant or not.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 AM

It sounds like it could possibly be MRSA.

Find out more from your health care provider, and/or go to another one for a second opinion.

Hugs!!!
#9 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am allergic to several antibiotics. They gave me augmenton. (SP?)

#10 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't look like any of those pictures, thank goodness I am waiting for a call back. I will go for a second opinion saturday if need be Thanks ladies

#11 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

YES it DOES sound like a spider bite and I'll tell you how I know...
I got a sore much like you describe, except the white center turned into a hole and the red surrondings turned an angry purple black... then it spread to other nearby areas looking like I had been bitten several times when i was actually reacting to the venom/infection of the primary bite. 3 days on abx did not touch it and the pain got worse, I had a low grade fever at this point. The overall radius of the area grew to about 10". I was reacting, severely and quickly, to the bite of a brown recluse spider. Google the bite and see what you find. It is not pretty, Ill warn you.. But it pays to recognize it.

They switched and upped my antibiotic and I responded finally, but it took several days to clear. I still have a silver dollar sized scar.
You can react to varying degrees to spider bites and it looks very, very much like staph. My staph culture came back negative of course but the wound was equally nasty. Luckily there was a doc on the team originally from CO and she recognized the bite, unusual but not hear of for my area.
#12 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I got a second opinion today. She said to stay on the ABX, keep washing it with antibacterial soap and keep it covered with neosporin. Basically a hard core NFL person's worst nightmare

And it was not MRSA, which is a relief.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page